Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > Mystery Recommendations (Grades 4-6)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (KristenK) | 3 comments Hi All,

Any recommendations for a grade 4/5/6 mystery book. I need to read it for a professional development class. Thnx.

message 2: by Shannon (last edited Feb 16, 2012 02:50PM) (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments An older series that might fit the bill are the Three Investigators.The Secret of Terror Castle

I was going to suggest Sherlock Holmes until I saw that you ened it for a professional development class so not sure if the Doyle's short stories would work or not.

There are also the ROman Mystery series: The Thieves of Ostia

You can also find a list on good read for mysteries for grades 2 through 7 here:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/11...

And best mysteries for young readers list here:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/49...

message 3: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments Betty Ren Wright writes many mysteries

message 4: by Gloria (new)

Gloria | 12 comments The kids in the 4th & 5th grades where I sub and/or volunteer are loving the several Gordon Korman series. Each group has 3 to 6 books. On the Run and Everest seem to be especially popular. Even some non-reader boys are big fans!

message 5: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5767 comments Mod
Hum, a few thoughts:
The Mysterious Benedict Society
The Red Blazer Girls: The Ring of Rocamadour

These are both contemporary. Not sure if you need something more "tried and true" for your class?

message 7: by June (new)

June (june_krell) | 121 comments I really enjoyed Dorothy Hoobler's Japanese mysteries
The Demon in the Teahouse and The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn. However, if you want something for March and women's history there is Nancy Springer's series about Sherlock Holmes' sister. It begins with The Case of the Missing Marquess. It took me a while to pick it up, something about the cover put me off, but I absolutely devoured it.

message 8: by June (new)

June (june_krell) | 121 comments There is Raskin's classic, The Westing Game or if you want more of a thriller try The View From the Cherry Tree

message 9: by Lana (new)

Lana Krumwiede | 19 comments I'm chiming in with a few favorites:

The House on the Gulf
Pie
Things Not Seen

Last year, I ran a lunchtime book group for my daughter's fourth grade class. These titles are mysteries that went over very well with that group.

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele | 181 comments Chasing Vermeer - a little mysterious as well as a mystery -- "weird"

Room One: A Mystery or Two - Andrew Clements; definitely straightforward

message 11: by Christine (new)

message 12: by Maria (new)

Maria Gill (mariagill) | 1 comments I highly recommend Alan Bradley's Flavia du Luce series. They are excellent read alouds and are wonderful examples of 'show don't tell'. The humour is laugh out loud. The main character is a 10 year old girl (Flavia) but the language can be quite sophisticated at times. I would also check out the Mary Quinn series and for younger students the Ruby Redfort series.

message 13: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) The Red Blazer Girls series totally rocks. But there was one everyone missed--

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.

message 14: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) June wrote: "I really enjoyed Dorothy Hoobler's Japanese mysteries
The Demon in the Teahouse and The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn. However, if you want something for March and women's history there is Nancy Spring..."

About the Enola Holmes series-- I totally hear ya! It is even scarier in the Cryptic Crinoline installment-- I think.