Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2012 discussion

Level 1: Pike's Peak > Hannah's Pike Hike

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hannah (last edited Oct 22, 2012 09:11AM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Here's my dirty dozen for the journey:

1. The Way Home by Alexandra Raife
2. Mirror For Witches A by Esther Forbes
3. The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) by Sue Birtwistle
4. The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye
5. The Lone Footprint by Frances K. Judd
6. Cabin at Singing River: One Woman's Story of Building a Home in the Wilderness by Chris Czajkowski
7. The Sixth Wife by Jean Plaidy
8. Rising River by Linden Grierson
9. Cotillion by Georgette Heyer
10. Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier
11. A Year In The Maine Woods by Bernd Heinrich
12. Tales of Terror and Detection by Edgar Allen Poe

The Way Home by Alexandra Raife A Mirror For Witches  by Forbes The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC)  by Sue Birtwistle The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye The Lone Footprint (A Kay Tracey Mystery, #15) by Frances K. Judd
Cabin at Singing River One Woman's Story of Building a Home in the Wilderness by Chris Czajkowski The Sixth Wife by Jean Plaidy Rising River by Linden Grierson Cotillion by Georgette Heyer Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1) by Juliet Marillier A Year In The Maine Woods by Bernd Heinrich Tales of Terror and Detection by Edgar Allan Poe

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed The Blue Castle!

message 3: by Hayes (last edited Feb 16, 2012 10:35AM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Hannah! *gasp* You've never read GWTW? Monstrous Regiment was good, and Letter of Mary was truly grand. Have fun.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Jeannette wrote: "I really enjoyed The Blue Castle!"

It will be a re-read from a long time ago, so I've been anxious to see what I think of it now (same for Gone with the Wind). I loved both when I was much (much) younger :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I am not adding GWTW to my tbr list until I see Hannah's review.....

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Hayes wrote: "Hi Hannah! *gasp* You've never read GWTW? Monstrous Regiment was good, and Letter of Mary was truly grand. Have fun."

Hi Hayes, GwtW will be a reread after about 3 decades! Before that, I probably read it 6 times between 8th grade and 12th grade.

message 7: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) I really enjoyed reading it, eons ago.

message 8: by Hannah (last edited Feb 16, 2012 10:40AM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) I've been meaning to get back to Laurie King's series. I started it at #4 because I wanted to see what she'd do with a Hound of the Baskerville re-visit, and loved it! So I've read #1 and will go from there.

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Jeannette wrote: "I am not adding GWTW to my tbr list until I see Hannah's review....."

I may never review GwtW. Ir would be too daunting!

message 10: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Funny, #4 was the only one I didn't enjoy. Perhaps because I have never read the original Doyle story.

message 11: by Hannah (last edited Feb 16, 2012 11:13AM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Hayes wrote: "Funny, #4 was the only one I didn't enjoy. Perhaps because I have never read the original Doyle story."

And HotB is my favorite Doyle, but King's "re-do" might have gone the other way just as easily.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hannah wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "I am not adding GWTW to my tbr list until I see Hannah's review....."

I may never review GwtW. Ir would be too daunting!"

Well, now that I see that you've read it a few times, I can assume you enjoyed it! It's just never been high on my list.

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments Jeannette wrote: "I am not adding GWTW to my tbr list until I see Hannah's review....."

GWTW is awesome, and so different reading it as a fully grown up adult as opposed to being a teen.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I, sadly, do not own it, but I can get it from the library.

message 15: by Bev (new)

Bev | 214 comments Mod
Hi, Hannah! Glad to have you join in!

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) I've only read GwtW once. It was my friend's favourite book and I read it after finishing my final high school examinations. It was summer and every afternoon I took the book to the beach, sat on the rock ledge at the end of the beach and read for a few hours. Such a good memory!

message 17: by Jemidar (last edited Feb 16, 2012 09:41PM) (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments I loved GwtW when I read it in my late teens. I absolutely devoured it. I'd be very interested to reread it to see what I make of it as a 'more mature' adult, although I have a feeling I would still love as I still love the movie :-).

message 18: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Just saw Bev's message about re-reads. I'll replace "Gone with the Wind" and "The Blue Castle" with 2 others from my TBR pile.

message 19: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments Jemidar wrote: "I loved GwtW when I read it in my late teens. I absolutely devoured it. I'd be very interested to reread it to see what I make of it as a 'more mature' adult, although I have a feeling I would st..."

Really, it was quite something. That and Jane Eyre as well.

I watched the movie after rereading GWTW. Boy, they sure changed a lot from what was in the book.

message 20: by Geevee (new)

Geevee Hope you enjoy Pillars of the Earth Hannah - I thought it was very good.

message 21: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Geevee wrote: "Hope you enjoy Pillars of the Earth Hannah - I thought it was very good."

Thanks, Geevee. Glad to hear a thumbs up for it.

I enjoyed the mini-series adaptation a few months ago, and it made me want to read the book.

message 22: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments Am I the only one who loathed that book?

*sigh*

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Misfit wrote: "Am I the only one who loathed that book?

*sigh*"

Bummer. What was it that turned you off?

message 24: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments You asked.

20C characters in medieval dress? Gross icky quicky sex? Anachronisms everywhere? A piss-poor representation of the medival mindset? Icky squicky rape and sex scenes?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I won't be adding that one to my list.....

message 26: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool No, You're not the only one Misfit. I abandoned it about 1/3 of the way through.

message 27: by Kim (last edited Feb 17, 2012 11:04PM) (new)

Kim (kimmr) I haven't read any Follett, and I don't imagine I'll be starting with this one. Has anyone else seen The Iron Lady? There's a scene in it where Maggie Thatcher (played by Meryl Streep) is reading a Ken Follett book and her husband - (view spoiler) - gives away the ending. I can't remember now whether the book was Pillars of the Earth or another of Follett's novels.

message 28: by Geevee (new)

Geevee Misfit wrote: "You asked.

20C characters in medieval dress? Gross icky quicky sex? Anachronisms everywhere? A piss-poor representation of the medival mindset? Icky squicky rape and sex scenes?"

Good to hear other's views - and they're not islolated either. Have a look at the Pillars of the Earth group - yes there is one. I enjoyed it though, especially the descriptions on designing and building the cathedral and the work of the stonemasons. It is the only book by him that I've read as truth is I'm more non-fiction.

Wondered if Misfit and Darkpool, or anyone else had tried Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd. Again I enjoyed this and may just about to be shot down for recommending that too :)

message 29: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool I read Sarum years back, not long after it came out I suspect, and enjoyed the heck out of it. Quite possibly I was less fussy then! It was enough to ensure I visited the site of Old Sarum as well as Salisbury and Stonehenge when I visited England.

message 30: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments I've read a couple of other books from Rutherford and have thought about Sarum, but I really have to be in the right mood for his style of writing. Either that, or read Michener again :)

message 31: by Hannah (last edited Feb 19, 2012 12:26PM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Misfit wrote: "You asked.

20C characters in medieval dress? Gross icky quicky sex? Anachronisms everywhere? A piss-poor representation of the medival mindset? Icky squicky rape and sex scenes?"

Oh no, NOT Icky squicky rape and sex scenes - blech.

I've read 2 other Follet's: On Wings of Eagles and Eye of the Needle and enjoyed them. Hopefully, I'll be able to get through this one.

message 32: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments We'll be watching for your updates :)

message 33: by Catie (new)

Catie (gollywollypogs) | 53 comments Hannah wrote: Icky squicky rape and sex scenes?"
..."

Yep, I'm totally with Misfit and Darkpool on this one. I did get to the end but hated it, can't imagine why it gets the great reviews and the sex scenes were the worst - icky squicky hits it on the nail.
My daughter loved it though, so maybe it will be ok for you too...

message 34: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Catie wrote: "Yep, I'm totally with Misfit and Darkpool on this one. I did get to the end but hated it, can't imagine why it gets the great reviews and the ..."

Thanks, Catie.
I'm not into even "tasteful" sex scenes, so I'll probably be totally put off by them and skip ahead in order to get through it.

message 35: by Geevee (new)

Geevee I don't even remember the sex scenes...but as for building big stone buildings it was good...

message 36: by Catie (last edited Feb 20, 2012 11:10PM) (new)

Catie (gollywollypogs) | 53 comments Geevee wrote: "...but as for building big stone buildings it was good..."
That might have worked better for me had I not read
The Heaven Tree Trilogy first (many years ago - must re-read).
By contrast with my memory of those books Follett's BSB seems humdrum.

message 37: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 198 comments Catie wrote: "Geevee wrote: "...but as for building big stone buildings it was good..."
That might have worked better for me had I not read
The Heaven Tree Trilogy first (many years ago - must re-..."

I read those afterwards. Gorgeous writing, just loved them.

message 38: by Geevee (new)

Geevee Catie and Misfit thank you for the recommendation I shall look to get this from my library (perhaps for summer).
I've read her as Ellis Peters but not under her real name. I also saw Misfit's review on Amazon which was very helpful too.
Thx again.

message 39: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Ahh, first one down. I feel better now :D

message 40: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 358 comments Yay!1 Go Hannah :-).

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

woot woot! :)

message 42: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Way to go!

message 43: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments HannahJ love your thread title. My 2 cents. I read GwtW as an adult, my mother in law gave me her issue which she originally received from her aunt and it was a first edition, so that made it even mire enjoyable.

I am one of the few who didn't like Laurie R. King's, I really didn't like the first book in the series http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/167841564. I also didn't like the Hound of the Baskervilles, for what that's worth.

I have Pillars on my TBR pile, maybe it would be good to do as a buddy read, make things more interesting.

message 44: by Hannah (last edited Mar 13, 2012 04:56AM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Dawn (& Ron) wrote: "HannahJ love your thread title. My 2 cents. I read GwtW as an adult, my mother in law gave me her issue which she originally received from her aunt and it was a first edition, so that made it even ..."

That's cool! I have my great Aunt's edition, but without the dust jacket :( Did yours have the original dust jacket? I'm looking forward to re-reading it later this year. I hope it will be as good as I remember it.

GASP - you don't like Hound of the Baskervilles - do I need to defriend you? (haha). It's one of my favorite stories of all time, and I was initially leary of reading King's series, but I really liked
The Moor and, to a lesser degree, The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

Yes, I could do a buddy read of Pillers!

message 45: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 173 comments Hannah please excuse me for butting in here. I would private message you but I get those squiggly letters wrong the vast majority of the time...Jeannette has recommended that I introduce myself to you because we both love the gothic and the ghost stories. I'm especially a big sucker for a good ghost story, especially when the ghost in question is a believable one, if you know what I mean. Well anyway, hello! And maybe sometime we can chat about quality ghost fiction. :-)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Margaret recommended a ghost story to me and I immediately thought of you Hannah. :)

Aren't you especially fond of spooky house stories?

message 47: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Margaret wrote: "Hannah please excuse me for butting in here. I would private message you but I get those squiggly letters wrong the vast majority of the time...Jeannette has recommended that I introduce myself to ..."

Hi Margaret!
I love spooky gothics and old-fashioned ghost stories. Maybe we can increase each other's TBR pile with some recommendations :)

Would love to chat about our mutual interest. I'll put in a friend request to you shortly.

message 48: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Jeannette wrote: "Margaret recommended a ghost story to me and I immediately thought of you Hannah. :)

Aren't you especially fond of spooky house stories?"

Yes, I love spooky house stories (when they're written well, of course).

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

That goes without saying!

message 50: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 173 comments Accepted! Now I'm off to compare books with you. :)

« previous 1