The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hi,I'm new to this Genre!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Hastings Hey all, I am brand new to this genre. The first and only Mystery book I ever read was Bad Boy Brawly Brown
and that was back in High school. I also read hounds of the baskerville but that was back in grade school.

Right now I am looking for a great Mystery novel, any recommendations??

message 2: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Jim. The mystery category is so broad it's hard to recommend just one book so I'll ask a few questions instead. Do you like books that are funny and quirky? What about cutting edge forensic science? Old school or classic mysteries? Police procedurals with some social commentary? Courtroom dramas? Spy thrillers?

Let us know where your interests are and I'm sure you'll get tons of great recommendations. And oh yes, Peter Lovesey writes terrific mysteries.

message 3: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Jim, welcome to the group.

Can you give us a hint about the kinds of books you normally read? Maybe that would help narrow the field a little. (I just bought the one that Hugh recommended... who knows when I'll get to it.) My favorite author is Dorothy L. Sayers, but her books might not appeal to you.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim Hastings I think I would like funny and quirky,Private Eye and who done it's.

thank you both very much!

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (chevywrangler) | 173 comments I've heard Elmore Leonard is a quirky kind of detective. Out to solve crime. Never read him but my friend raves about his books.

message 6: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Robert Crais' Elvis Cole rates high on the quirky, funny scale, Give him a try!

Also, several of Carl Hiaasen's books are whodunnits, but I can't recall if many PI's are involved. The books Basket Case, Skin Tight, and Skinny Dip are "overthetop, doubled up in laughter" funny at times!

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels can be fairly hysterical at times as well!

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 408 comments Jim wrote: "I think I would like funny and quirky,Private Eye and who done it's.

Hi Jim,
Welcome!

Given what you said above, I would recommend the Hitchcock Sewell undertaker series by Tim Cockey. They're a lot of fun.

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments Elmore Leonard can be quirky/funny and the Donald Westlake "Dortmunder" series which begins with The Hot Rock is great.

message 9: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Sharon wrote: "Elmore Leonard can be quirky/funny and the Donald Westlake "Dortmunder" series which begins with The Hot Rock is great."

I'm definitely going to have to check his books out this year. Did I read, correctly, that, like Hiaasen, his stories primarily take place in Florida, or have I confused Leonard with someone else?

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments Jeanie wrote: "I'm definitely going to have to check his books out this year. Did I read, correctly, that, like Hiaasen, his stories primarily take place in Florida, or have I confused Leonard with someone else?
."

Hiaasen and Leonard do write primarily about Florida locations, I think. I actually haven't read much by either of them, much more of Westlake.

Another you might enjoy if you like English mysteries are the "Miss Seeton" books by Heron Carvic. They start with Picture Miss Seetonand I find them exceedingly funny, though it does require a bit of suspension of reality in some respects.

Another series that isn't generally considered 'humorous' but I find some scenes hilarious is the J.D.Robb futuristic/police procedural "In Death" series. Some of the rants by the main detective Eve Dallas about shopping, girl parties and high heels I find so funny, probably because I have heard myself make the same statements throughout much of my life.

message 11: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Sharon wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "I'm definitely going to have to check his books out this year. Did I read, correctly, that, like Hiaasen, his stories primarily take place in Florida, or have I confused Leonard with..."

I've read ALL of the "In Death" books. (laughing) I, too, fall over laughing at Eve's rants and her strange, mortal fear of Trina the hairdresser! I, also, find her fear of Bella, Mavis's baby, extremely entertaining. She and Roarke's combined aversion and fear of the whole birthing process in the book when Bella was born is something that has stuck with me, and probably always will. (grin)

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments Jeanie wrote: "I, also, find her fear of Bella, Mavis's baby, extremely entertaining."

I love the last couple of books where Bella insists on Eve kissing her!

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Jim: Some good suggestions there. Try the Robert Parker books. He's gone, but his stories will live for every, specially if they make you laugh. Then if you want REALLY FUNNY thrillers, there are the Dortmunder Books by Donald Westlake, who's also gone, but never forgotten. Whoa! Does that sound like a title, or what?

message 14: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35533 comments Jeanie wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "I'm definitely going to have to check his books out this year. Did I read, correctly, that, like Hiaasen, his stories primarily take place in Florida, or have I confus..."

I think they're funny. I'm never sure why I continue reading them but I keep right on.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1523 comments It's nice to meet you jim