The Hugo Awards Discussion Group discussion

2012 Nominations Open

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 67 comments A bit belated, but the 2012 Hugo Nomination period is open until Sunday, March 11. Details can be found here: https://chicon.org/hugo/nominate.php

Has anyone been parusing potential nominees? Any notables to date? Guesses on who'll make the list?

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail | 16 comments I'll guess that Embassytown by China Mieville will be nominated, as the voters seem to like him. I will *not* be nominating that one, however.

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt | 18 comments I'm also curious about some potential nominees. I suppose Ill read some of the nominee's once we see the list, but how do you (in this list) go about finding new sci fi.

message 4: by Gail (new)

Gail | 16 comments To some extent there are certain authors who consistently get nominated whenever they have an eligible book. Mieville is one, as are chalie stross and john scalzi. They both have eligible books this year, so it would be unsurprising if they made the ballot. I think Bujold also has an eligible book, but from what I've heard it wasn't a particularly well-received one.

I haven't read that much in the genre this year, but I have seen a couple of reviewers comment that the last few months of 2011 brought them an unusually bad selection of books. This could be a weak year. On the other hand, it could be a year when we get some fresh blood on the ballot, which would be a very, very good thing.

message 5: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 67 comments For new SciFi I've been keeping tabs on what comes across in the Goodreads newsletters and jotting them down. I'm always in need of books for bookgroup and I've found that's decent way. Downside is not infrequently I have to wait for it to come out in paperback.

The ones I have my eye on are (not saying I've read these, just that I suspect a portion of them may end up on the ballot):
Flashback by Dan Simmons
Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi
Children of the Sky by Verner Vinge
Rule 34 by Charles Stross
Clockwork Rocket by Greg Egan
The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi
Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey (reading this right now)
Embassytown by China Mieville
Reamde by Neal Stephenson
Among Others by Jo Walton (fantasy)

What I don't keep tabs on are authors who write steampunk or zombies, so not inconceivable one or more of those might end up on the ballot.

message 6: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (gawm) | 12 comments I'm surprised I haven't seen more Hugo buzz for Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, which has been on my to read list for months and I finally started. It's great fun! Anyone else here read it?
Ready Player One

message 7: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 67 comments Not familiar with Ready Player One, but thanks for the reccomendation. I think I'll bring it to my bkgrp as an option.

message 8: by Gail (new)

Gail | 16 comments They've been talking about it on Books on the Nightstand, and they seem to like it. Haven't read it myself.