Darynda Jones Fans discussion

TGDA Book Discussion > Day 2 - Coffee Madness!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
What did you think of Charley's coffee induced craziness?

Suzanne (Doppleganger) (doppleganger_suzanne) | 44 comments It's AWESOME. :)

Seriously, I think Charley's constant search for a coffee fix is one of the best running jokes in the series.

message 3: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments For one week up, I think she was handling it quite well! Even though I was a bit worried on the bath scene when she falls asleep and Reyes tells her something like "stay with me" and it felt like he was trying to drown her... It felt weird to me. Anyway, I'm not sure Reyes is a reason to stay awake, it sort of feels more like a reason to go to sleep. Anyway, I'm sure her reflexes and short-term memory will be back to normal in the 4th book.

message 4: by Dana, Founder (new)

Ines wrote: "For one week up, I think she was handling it quite well! Even though I was a bit worried on the bath scene when she falls asleep and Reyes tells her something like "stay with me" and it felt like h..."

Suzanne (Doppleganger) wrote: "It's AWESOME. :)

Seriously, I think Charley's constant search for a coffee fix is one of the best running jokes in the series."

As I read the book, those first chapters made me feel like I was in a coffee induced haze. The way Charley would jump from one thing to the another added to Charley's ADD, very authentic. I wonder if Darynda herself wrote it when she was in the same condition as the character (No Sleep, Too Much Coffee?) LOL

message 5: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Maybe it has a little bit of the author... it definitely sounds authentic but maybe it's just Darynda's talent! ;)

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
Darynda did an awesome job of portraying Charley's coffee induced/sleep deprived craze! Cookie even thought it was too much and tried to intervene; granted she assumed it was drugs at first...you know it had to be bad when Charley's partner in coffee was concerned! I was cringing when she got in Misery to drive over to Garrett's! Then to find out she had that little fender bender...at least Garrett didn't let her drive home!

message 7: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
I thought it was hilarious. She was so afraid to fall asleep and deal with Reyes being pissed at her. Being a coffee addict, Darynda wrote it perfectly. LOL

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vicki_lp) | 217 comments Mod
Oh it was hysterical! Especially thinking the little girl was a hallucination at first. Oh Charley.Something. Else.

message 9: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Ines wrote: "For one week up, I think she was handling it quite well! Even though I was a bit worried on the bath scene when she falls asleep and Reyes tells her something like "stay with me" and it felt like h..."

I agree with you Ines...seeing Reyes, even mad, is a reason to fall asleep.

The bath scene also scared me...falling asleep and drowning, oh no,no!

I loved the scene when Charlie wakes Garrett up in the middle of the night and then goes searching through his home for aspirin. Too funny :p

message 10: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Mel wrote: "Ines wrote: "For one week up, I think she was handling it quite well! Even though I was a bit worried on the bath scene when she falls asleep and Reyes tells her something like "stay with me" and i..."

You're right Mel! Charley entering his house and searching everywhere for something for her headache was very funny. Specially because Garret was surprised, trying to be annoyed but mostly completely confused lol

message 11: by Dana, Founder (new)

Ines wrote: "Mel wrote: "Ines wrote: "For one week up, I think she was handling it quite well! Even though I was a bit worried on the bath scene when she falls asleep and Reyes tells her something like "stay wi..."

Charley knocking at Garret's door was perfect. It was crazed, bizarre and too funny! Garrett just let her do it, like he's come to expect just about anything from her.

message 12: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Dana wrote: "Ines wrote: "Mel wrote: "Ines wrote: "For one week up, I think she was handling it quite well! Even though I was a bit worried on the bath scene when she falls asleep and Reyes tells her something ..."

I loved how she was amazed at his chest and how he was dressed...duh she woke him up. Garrett was so confused about her accident at first.

message 13: by Dana, Founder (new)

I was there every second, it felt like I was sitting on Charley's shoulder and watching and listening to everything she said.

message 14: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Dana wrote: "I was there every second, it felt like I was sitting on Charley's shoulder and watching and listening to everything she said."

I loved how she thought of Cookie seeing Garrett without his shirt...

message 15: by Dana, Founder (new)

Always a great friend, thinking of her girl and her girl's likes.

message 16: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 100 comments LOL, I have to jump in and say that the scene where Charley goes to Garrett's was my original opening. It took a couple of rewrites to get it where it is, but my editor said it was too confusing to open with that scene and she wanted me to cut it altogether! I was like, "No way! This is my favorite scene!" hahaha. I love that one. So I just slowed it down a bit, if you can believe it, and clarified some things, and she accepted it. Whew! Disaster averted!

message 17: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Darynda wrote: "LOL, I have to jump in and say that the scene where Charley goes to Garrett's was my original opening. It took a couple of rewrites to get it where it is, but my editor said it was too confusing to..."

Darynda, I am so glad you pushed for that seen. Your instincts as a writer are great! Thanks for the wonderful stories. :)

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
Darynda wrote: "LOL, I have to jump in and say that the scene where Charley goes to Garrett's was my original opening. It took a couple of rewrites to get it where it is, but my editor said it was too confusing to..."

I'm so happy that scene made the cut! It was terrific and so funny!

message 19: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Darynda wrote: "LOL, I have to jump in and say that the scene where Charley goes to Garrett's was my original opening. It took a couple of rewrites to get it where it is, but my editor said it was too confusing to..."

I'm definitely happy it made the cut, I really enjoyed that scene while reading the book! Good instincts, as Mel said :)

message 20: by Dana, Founder (new)

It was so believable, she was running on fumes, thank goodness it became part of the story. In a way I felt as if it was foreshadowing the importance of Garrett, she wasn't afraid of showing her vulnerable side to him, she needed him and what he could offer her.

message 21: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Dana wrote: "It was so believable, she was running on fumes, thank goodness it became part of the story. In a way I felt as if it was foreshadowing the importance of Garrett, she wasn't afraid of showing her v..."

Nicely said, Dana...:-)

message 22: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 100 comments Thanks so much guys!!! I appreciate all the kind words. Yay! lol