☮Express Yourself ☮ discussion

Debates > do good looks get you further in life than a good mind?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

do good looks get you further in life than a good mind?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I think half half. If you were a model, you would rely on how you look to get you a career.

But on the other hand, we go to school to get brains and to get a job. So yes we have to be smart to be successful.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 8 comments probably brains would get you farther in life as in 'good job' but lets all face it- everyone wants to be pretty... and its generally more fun. Not to offend anyone:(

message 4: by Grouphug (new)

Grouphug | 22 comments depends what kind of people your around and the places you know I wrote but I don't know many people who do so i feel weird like a nerd

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ (charlie_awesome) | 103 comments Mod
I think smart and less attractive people (like me) get told that brains will take you father than beauty, but when you look at the world around you, all you see very day if pretty people- actors singers, models, and you can't hep but think that looks do get you further, however false that may be.

message 6: by Lucy Qhuay (new)

Lucy Qhuay Well, we may wish that it was different (I certainly wish that it was), but the truth is that, nowadays, unfortunately, if you have good looks you get pratically everything that you want.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Depends on what's far in life. Personally, as sad as it is, ugly but smart people aren't gonna go as far as average brains and beautiful. Airheads make it from others. The average looks and smarties are gonba do the best though!!!

message 8: by Vixen (new)

Vixen  | 66 comments i say neither. Personality tops everything

honestly you could be good looking or u could be really smart, but its all about how you present yourself and all about your personality and social skills. well maybe not all, but definitely bigger than the other 2.
you could be beautiful and smart, but if you're a douchebag or have poor social/people skills, you wont really go far in life. its about how you approach/talk to people that will really grab them on your first impression. and as long as you dont botch that one, youll get second impression lol

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I think a good mind will get you further. @ Vixen, I can see your point but not everyone thats beautiful is arrogant and a major douche bag (although there is some people I know with those qualities ;) ) And I think the majority of smart people do have good social skills while others dont. I guess it depends on the person.

message 10: by Vixen (new)

Vixen  | 66 comments well no i didnt mean theyre all DB, lol sorry

i just meant that even if you had one or the other, someitmes youre just not good with people.

and i mean dividing book smarts and people smarts. if that makes sense. someone could be really smart in school or any subject but just dont know how to interact with people. don't know how to express themselves. I think thats different from someone who has "people" smarts for lack of better word, where they could have an average iq in school or something but be really could at and knows how to handle people and even manipulate people...idk, i mean taking out smarts and looks, most of the world is filled with manipulative people who are always on top

message 11: by Devora (new)

Devora | 27 comments Charlie ♥GaleForever♥ wrote: "I think smart and less attractive people (like me) get told that brains will take you father than beauty, but when you look at the world around you, all you see very day if pretty people- actors si..."

I know.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Unfortunately, at the moment, I'd say yes. Seriously. Look around you. People judge other people by how they look. We might say that everyone is equal and they should not be judged on what they look like but at the end of the day, they are just words.

Prettier people tend to get more attention and people seem to gravitate towards them. Whereas those that are seen as not pretty in society generally have to work harder for attenton.

I can only talk from my point of view, but generally, I'm a brain. I don't care about how I look and I don't care about the latest fashion craze. Unfortunately, people seem to think that I do not have a life outside of school. :(