Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2012! > Zan's 50 books for 2012

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zan (new)

Zan Hopefully i've not chosen a number too high! I think it's quite achievable but we'll see...

message 2: by Zan (new)

Zan War Horse
I didn't know what to expect with this as have purposely been avoiding finding anything out about it. I loved the simplicity of it and finished it very quickly.

message 3: by Zan (new)

Zan One Day
I cried and cried! Such a moving story, I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended for any sentimental souls.

message 4: by Zan (new)

Zan A Feast for Crows
Another incredible installment in the Game of Thrones series. Although I really enjoyed it I think, so far, it is my least favourite. Not as much action and twists and turns.

message 5: by Zan (new)

Zan A Dance With Dragons
The best one yet!! The usual mix of joy and devastation but even more so. I can't wait for the next one, he needs to hurry up and finish it!

message 6: by Zan (new)

Zan The Black Prism

I found this book difficult to get into but ended up really liking the characters. I'm not sure, however, that I will read the other 2 in the trilogy.

I found the concept of drafting quite difficult to get to grips with at the beginning which is perhaps why it took a little while to be immersed in the story and perhaps events at the beginning would mean more if i'd know more about it at the start.

I did like the world that they lived in but could have done with a better idea of the layout.

Overall, I did enjoy it, once I had read past the first few chapters.

message 7: by Zan (new)

Zan P.S. I Love You Even though I'd already seen the film and knew what happened (which usually I try never to do) I really enjoyed this. Holly's journey is so emotional and you can really connect with her. It's nice also, that the book doesn't have the ending you expect.

message 8: by Zan (new)

Zan Before I Go to Sleep
This was a recommendation from a friend of mine who has never given me a bad one so I had high hope! I thought this was great, though the ending was a little contrived. I did really want to read more and find out what happened and the suspense made it a real page-turner.

message 9: by Zan (new)

Zan My Sister's Keeper
Being a Jodi Picoult book I knew there was a good chance that I would end up crying at some point whilst reading this. But, my goodness, I was not prepared for how much! By the end you are so invested in the characters and the story. That's the beauty of the way JP writes, she gets you to see and understand the story from the perspective of all the characters.

Weeping is an understatement. I cant' recommend this enough though if I was a parent I think it would be an even more difficult book to read.

message 10: by Zan (new)

Zan The Princess Bride
I read this partly because I enjoy a good fairytale and partly because of the disdainful looks I received when I said I hadn't read it.
It wasn't at all what I imagined it to be which was great! It wasn't until I read it that I realised how unsurprising it was that it was mostly men that recommended it to me. It is a swash-buckling adventure with a great sense of humour.
The characters were 3-dimensional and not your usual fairytale characters.
I raced through it and enjoyed every minute!

message 11: by Zan (new)

Zan The Notebook
What can I say about this except that it made me weep (again!) I'd seen the film already and although I usually hate doing it that way around I felt that I wanted to know more about the characters. I wasn't disappointed. This is a beautiful, and unconventional love story which really touched me.

message 12: by Zan (new)

Zan The Girls
This was recommended to me by a friend who insisted on lending me the book. I had never heard of it but am always willing to give most things a try.
It was quite fascinating, the descriptions of what it is like to be a craniopagus twin, what research the author must have done!
It is a moving story of the life of Ruby and Rosie with the twists and turns of life that comes with standing out as much as they do.

message 13: by Zan (new)

Zan Salmon Fishing In The Yemen
This is another book that I wasn't sure what to expect from. It has recently been made into a film as I assumed it would be a good story. I wasn't disappointed.

It had a bit more politics in it that I had imagined (or would have chosen to read) but I really enjoyed the format of the chapters. There were diary excepts, email chains, letters and various other media that gave an insight into each of the characters.
I highly recommend this for anyone who enjoys a book with substance and a sense of humour (the book, not the person...)

message 14: by Zan (new)

Zan The Other Boleyn Girl
The history of the Royal family is a subject that I find endlessly fascinating so this was completely up my street.
Mary Boleyn is a character that is rarely in the forefront when it comes to the story of Henry VIII's 6 wives. It was interesting for me to discover more about her character (I know it's fiction but there are real gaps that were filled in for me too!) and the rise and fall of the Boleyn family.
It has led me to further historical research outside of the fictional realm.
I look forward to reading more Philippa Gregory titles and discovering more historical figures that played a part in this most absorbing historical period.