Towers of Midnight (The Wheel of Time, #13) Towers of Midnight discussion

Shara

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marilize Has anyone noticed that in the glossary of all the WoT books they discuss Shara extensively (seems comparable to our Orient), up to and including their rulers and chanellers, but apart from Rand visiting it once and it being mentioned once or twice, it seems irrelevant.

Is Shara making an appearance in the last book, or what? What is the point of discussing Shara extensively in the glossary, when it has no bearing on the story?

And if the whole world is fighting at the Last Battle, where does Shara feature in this? Even the Seanchan have come to the continent and will join the battle, but Shara is conspicuously absent. Will they just pick up the pieces?

Ivar It is mentioned from time to time in the books, and i think some prophecies both from Shara, and some hinting towards Shara is mentioned at several places. I think it might have been meant to play a larger role, but as the number of subplots grew larger there was less place for it. The reason it is mentioned so extensively in the glossary might be that it won't be room for any larger introduction in the story itself.

On that note, after my last reread I've started to fear a number of subplots might never be resolved. I don't see how there's room enough for it all in one book.

Desmond i believe its possible that RJ might be planning a couple spinoffs but i agree with you the book would not be able to cover all the subplots which he made in 1-13

Scott (Ozziespur) Desmond wrote: "i believe its possible that RJ might be planning a couple spinoffs but i agree with you the book would not be able to cover all the subplots which he made in 1-13"

RJ is not planning anything mate, he's dead. Brandon Sanderson consulting RJ's notes and also his widow might be planning something akin to what you're suggesting.... I guess we'll see.

Desmond Scott wrote: "Desmond wrote: "i believe its possible that RJ might be planning a couple spinoffs but i agree with you the book would not be able to cover all the subplots which he made in 1-13"

RJ is not plan..."
i meant editors/family members anyways but yeah though they are never really as good

Ivar I remember reading Sanderson or Harriet stating that there would be no further additions to the WoT universe after the last book was completed. From quite a while back, RJ was planning a prequel from the AoL, but he wanted to write another unrelated project inbetween the main storyline and the prequel. Alas, we'll not be seeing any of them now.

message 7: by Jp (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jp My suspicion was that it was just always intended as flavor in the encyclopedia. I thought it was fascinating we had all this in depth information of it in this book, but the actual inhabitants of Randland new almost nothing about it.

I like the idea that it was originally intended to play a bigger role. There is a lot of this world that is left for the most part out of the conflict with the Dark One. Seems like it's mostly just down to the region the books take place in. Seems like they'd stand a better chance if they could get everyone else in on it too.

Michael Harry Given the number of channelers in Shara (they actively breed them according to the world book) they should be playing a massive part in the final battle but unless Demandred has been there all along I can't see that happening. I think Shara will be ignored. Like Seanchan and the land of madmen. The Dragon is in the westlands and that's where everything in memory of light will take place.