Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Cover vs. Dust Jacket

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Data (new)

Data | 33 comments I have several books from the beginning of the (20th) century that do not have dust jackets - no idea if they originally had them - but they do have printed art on the hardcover. Is it appropriate to scan these and add to the database?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41655 comments Mod
That's perfectly fine.

message 3: by Data (new)

Data | 33 comments Thank you. Now to get my scanner back in operation. :)

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 362 comments Thank you for doing this, Data - I often find books like this, too - and since the printed cover is likely what any new reader would see, it's terrific to see it on the book page.

message 5: by Data (new)

Data | 33 comments A related question: I see in the photo page for a book that there are dire warnings about not using the photo section for the cover, but what about when the dust jacket art (typically used for the cover) and the cover art are different? In other words, is this ok?

http://www.goodreads.com/photo/work/1...

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 362 comments You mean the warnings you get when you click on 'add additional images' from the book edit page? I interpret that to mean that if you 1. created the image yourself (by scanning it in from a physical copy) and 2. see a cover image on the main book page, that 'additional images' would be a good place for the image of what we'll call "the cover under the dust jacket."

Gosh I hope I'm right, and that you can indeed do what you're doing. It's valuable data!

Keep on scanning, though, in any case. Worst case, you can put those 'additional images' in a review.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Data wrote: "A related question: I see in the photo page for a book that there are dire warnings about not using the photo section for the cover, but what about when the dust jacket art (typically used for the ..."

Actually, please don't put covers there. The extra images will show for ALL editions of a book, and should not be images that only apply to one.

message 8: by Data (new)

Data | 33 comments Good data on some older books (Grandma really seemed to like dime-store novels), and yes, you are exactly right on what I was referring to. All scanned from books in hand (or on the scanner, if you like).

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott rivka wrote: "Actually, please don't put covers there. The extra images will show for ALL editions of a book, and should not be images that only apply to one."

Er, then what should go there?

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 362 comments Oh. Well then what should Data do when both the-cover-under-the-jacket and the jacket are scanned and relevant? Is my thought of putting the extra image in the review the only option?

And ditto Scott's question. If one puts interior images there, those could vary across editions, too.

message 11: by Data (last edited Feb 19, 2012 05:57PM) (new)

Data | 33 comments Thanks - I will take it out. Is there no where to put these scans? Seems to me that when we're talking about exactly the same book, it's not an alternate cover edition ...

BTW, I couldn't find much on this book when searching across several sites, so I thought it would be nice to have both images, as the book seems to have been "Lost" as well.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "If one puts interior images there, those could vary across editions, too."

While that's true, they're more likely to be general, especially with older books.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever used the other images for a book option.

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 362 comments And if you, Data, were to put the extra image in a review, that would mean you'd have to shelve that book, which maybe you don't want to do. I'm bemused.

message 14: by Data (new)

Data | 33 comments It's not that a review is a problem - I actually reviewed this particular book. Just seems to be an inherent data problem, based on database design. Not that it's bad design, but there is a limited amount of places to put things in any db :(

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 362 comments True enough. Putting the additional 'cover' image in the review(s) is only a workaround. I vote please do so - as we discussed in the beginning of the thread, sometimes dust jackets get lost.

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 362 comments Looks nice! And that was ok, because there are no other editions, so you didn't have to worry about it being combined with an un-illustrated edition.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Abigail wrote: "Wouldn't an interior illustration still be OK, though, if there were multiple editions, as long as it was noted which one it came from?"

There is no way to note that (as far as I know), but if it's ok to use the illustrations (like out-of-copyright ones, as in your example), I don't see a problem.

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Abigail wrote: "I was thinking of the little description that the person who is adding the image is allowed to write."

Didn't realize that was an option. In that case, sure, sounds like a good plan.

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 362 comments Well then, couldn't Data do the same thing with the printed cover? When the dust jacket is showing on the description page, the cover-under-the-jacket could be annotated as from such'n'such edition, couldn't it?

Besides which, from the description of the kinds of books she's working with, I suspect there aren't other editions that differ significantly.

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 362 comments (Data, I just tried to send you a PM to alert you this thread is still open, but your settings blocked me, so I sent you a friend request, but you won't see this message unless you see this thread... oh well... my friend request is sincere, in any case... :)

message 21: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Well then, couldn't Data do the same thing with the printed cover?"

No. The directions say "I understand that this feature is not for book covers."