The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

Theme Reads > March: Arthurian Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 135 (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
Have any books on your Dusty Bookshelf about King Arthur? Then join in our month long discussion of all things Arthur!! You can compare books here :)

message 2: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck

IT WILL SOON BE MINE! <3

message 3: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Alright, after much deliberation...I've decided on The Crystal Cave...and hope that I can keep myself on track and get back to my dusty reads after...or if I'll go on Arthurian binge! :)

message 4: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Thalia wrote: "The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck

IT WILL SOON BE MINE! <3"

You make me giggle! (oh, and PS...I was thinking about you the other day when my 2 year old daughter picked out a cartoon called Tristan and Isolde for her movie time! :)

message 5: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Yay! I've wormed my way into your lives. (:
And where is this cartoon? I need to see it, hahah!

The Crystal Cave--a classic! I hope you like it! :D

message 6: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I have The Winter King (The Arthur Books, #1) by Bernard Cornwell on my shelf! This will be great!!

message 7: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments I will the reading The Once and Future King, by T.H. White.

The Once and Future King by T.H. White

message 8: by Kayci (new)

Kayci (kayci24) I shall conquer The Mists of Avalon.

The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) by Marion Zimmer Bradley

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) I would like to join your discussions and selected The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck , ordered from the library.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Book Concierge wrote: "Nothing on my shelf and really not interested in this particular theme. I read a number when I was younger.
Although I've never tackled Mark Twain's [book:A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Cou..."

That is an excellent book! Read it just once, really long time ago. Great movie starring Bing Crosby too. :)

message 11: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Thalia wrote: "Yay! I've wormed my way into your lives. (:
And where is this cartoon? I need to see it, hahah!

The Crystal Cave--a classic! I hope you like it! :D"

Neflix! :)It's cute...strange animation, though! :)

message 12: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments I found this list on Listopia, which lists many, many, many Arthurian books!

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/97...

message 13: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) I've been wanting to read Mists of Avalon for the longest time. Can't believe I haven't bought it yet. Now I have an excuse!The Mists of Avalon

message 14: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) Denise, that list is awesome! Thanks for posting!

I didn't realize Black Horses for the King was an Arthurian book. It's on our homeschool reading list and I think it's coming up pretty soon.

Planned to read King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table by Roger Lancelyn Green whenever we got to the King Arthur stuff in our homeschool history.

And specifically for this challenge and because I've been for a long time an "Arthurian wanna-be" (ROFL) I think I will choose the Steinbeck -The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights assuming I can get it at the library.

Except I really want to read the T.H. White book too! AHHHHH choices!! *headdesk*

message 15: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Dalynn wrote: "Denise, that list is awesome! Thanks for posting!

I didn't realize Black Horses for the King was an Arthurian book. It's on our homeschool reading list and I think it's coming up pre..."

You're welcome, Dalynn! I was surprised to find all of the classics on that list that I had heard of before, but forgotten about. That's cool that one is on your homeschool list! How flexible is that - can you bring it forward if you want?

But you need to stop banging your head on your desk - you might hurt yourself!!! LOL!

message 16: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) I don't guess I'd realized that the Pendragon series was Arthurian. Exciting!

Now I'm trying to figure out Listopia (hadn't done anything over there yet) instead of reading Old Yeller to the kids. LOL

I'd *headdesk* again but you're right; I'm getting a headache. ;)

message 17: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments I just started exploring Listopia myself - it's a bit overwhelming! So far I've been using it to open lists that I know will include books that I own, as an easy way of locating them to add to my shelves. I tried voting on one once, but it hung my browser, so I gave up.

message 18: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Dalynn wrote: "I don't guess I'd realized that the Pendragon series was Arthurian. Exciting!"

What Pendragon series are you referring to? I read the Pendragon series by DJ MacHale solely because of the series title, even though it had nothing to do with Arthurian history. XD

message 19: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) Bah, I ddin't realize there was more than one! LOL So, maybe the one I'm thinking of isn't Arthurian after all? I think it's a common YA series, fantasy I assumed. And there are some Pendragon books on that list you linked. I assumed/thought they were the same but guess I should double check. ;)

Pendragon is kind of on my mind's list but I haven't added it on the TBR simply because it's not really a priority and I might not get to it this year. My son might be interested in reading it though, so we'll see. :)

message 20: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Tracy wrote: "I've been wanting to read Mists of Avalon for the longest time. Can't believe I haven't bought it yet. Now I have an excuse!The Mists of Avalon"

I was just going to ask if "Mists of Avalon" didn't fall into the Arthurian theme ... it is on my dusty bookshelf, but it's such a big book ... maybe I'll check out the other titles suggested in the Listopia link! ;o)

message 21: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Liz wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I've been wanting to read Mists of Avalon for the longest time. Can't believe I haven't bought it yet. Now I have an excuse!The Mists of Avalon"

I was just going to ask..."

I know it's a long book, but Mists of Avalon is an excellent book!

message 22: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Dalynn, there's one series called the Pendragon series, written by DJ MacHale. That one is the popular YA series, and it has ten books in it. There's another series called the Pendagon Cycle, which IS Arthurian. Is that the one you're talking about? x)

The Merchant of Death by D.J. MacHale vs. Taliesin (The Pendragon Cycle, #1) by Stephen R. Lawhead

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 38 comments I'll try to make some head way on Howard Pyle's book which i have begun and enjoyed it just gut set back on the shelf and has earned it's dust. :D

message 24: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) Like I said, I had no idea that there was more than one, nor that any of them might be Arthurian. I'm not sure which I thought I'd read; I'm sure I just saw it on a suggested list at some point and I'm not sure I even had an idea of what it was about. I even looked at several of the books earlier and I'm still not sure which one. LOL

Chances are good now, though, that I'll have to read them both. D'OH!! ;)

message 25: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments Kayci wrote: "I shall conquer The Mists of Avalon.

The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) by Marion Zimmer Bradley"

One of my favorite books of all time. I read this my freshman year of college.

message 26: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments I have Le Morte d'Arthur: King Arthur & the Legends of the Round Table on my Dusty Shelves. Mayhaps, I should pull it out?

message 27: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) Perfect, Ruth! Do join us!

message 28: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Dalynn wrote: "Like I said, I had no idea that there was more than one, nor that any of them might be Arthurian. I'm not sure which I thought I'd read; I'm sure I just saw it on a suggested list at some point and..."

If you read the DJ MacHale series and if you get to book ten...DON'T read the epilogue. Just...rip it out of your book before you even start. I loved the series and the epilogue killed everything for me. :[

I'm getting antsy waiting for my book to come in the mail, hahaha. Steinbeck, where are you?

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Ruth wrote: "I have Le Morte d'Arthur: King Arthur & the Legends of the Round Table on my Dusty Shelves. Mayhaps, I should pull it out?"

I have it on my shelves too but daunted by the fact that it's two inches thick with fine print!

message 30: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "Ruth wrote: "I have Le Morte d'Arthur: King Arthur & the Legends of the Round Table on my Dusty Shelves. Mayhaps, I should pull it out?"

I have it on my shelves too but daunted by th..."

I've also read some commentary regarding the edition I have in particular. I'm wondering if I should pick up the Norton Edition, but it's $25!

I think maybe I'm just making excuses. LOL

message 31: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments If anyone watches Jeopardy!, you probably saw last night when they had a category on ... "Arthurian Lit"! I don't remember all of them, but I do remember there were answers about The Mists of Avalon, The Once and Future King, and Le Morte d'Arthur. Cool!

message 32: by April (new)

April | 570 comments The Crystal Cave just came in at the library and I have it in my home....Ahhkkkk! It is calling to me, but, alas...I have promised myself..I am not looking at it until MaRCH...or at least until I've finished these other two! :)

message 33: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments I'm going to get started on The Once and Future King tonight, since it looks pretty long! Also, on another site, we'll be discussing Dashiell Hammett during the last week of March, and I have several books by him I want to read by then, so I need to finish up TOaFK in time for that.

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments April wrote: "Alright, after much deliberation...I've decided on The Crystal Cave...and hope that I can keep myself on track and get back to my dusty reads after...or if I'll go on Arthurian binge! :)"

That was a good book! I may have to join you and read it again.

message 35: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments Denise wrote: "I'm going to get started on The Once and Future King tonight, since it looks pretty long! Also, on another site, we'll be discussing Dashiell Hammett during the last week of March, and I have seve..."

I bought Red Harvest for the Hammett discussion. I also have The Once and Future King on my TBR, highly recommended by my hubby. Either way, I'd best get crackin'! :)

message 36: by Denise (last edited Feb 24, 2012 11:59AM) (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Ruth wrote: "I bought Red Harvest for the Hammett discussion. I also have The Once and Future King on my TBR, highly recommended by my hubby. Either way, I'd best get crackin'! :)"

I read Red Harvest many years ago, when I had a 4-novels-in-1-volume book by Hammett, but it was lost in the cat pee incident I described on the other board! But Becke has been building up my collection - I already read The Glass Key that she sent me, and The Maltese Falcon is in an old anthology, plus two paperbacks of his short stories, and even a mystery by another author featuring Hammett as the sleuth! I have no idea how much of all that I will get to, but I am certainly spoiled for choice!

I started The Once and Future King last night. I really had never looked at it closely, even though I've had it for so many years. I didn't realize that it is very, very funny, and that the first section is The Sword in the Stone, which is really bringing back the memories of seeing the Disney movie when I was about seven! I think I will be enjoying this read very much! It is reallllly looooong, though! Unfortunately, and frustratingly, I am not a fast reader, and I think it may well take me three weeks to get through it.

message 37: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments Denise wrote: "Ruth wrote: "I bought Red Harvest for the Hammett discussion. I also have The Once and Future King on my TBR, highly recommended by my hubby. Either way, I'd best get crackin'! :)"

I read Red Ha..."

I love the "Sword in the Stone!" I didn't know it drew from "TOAFK," though. *sigh* I'm gonna have to read it, but not NOW! LOL I still have to finish A Storm of Swords, which even if I ONLY read that one book, it will take me a month.

message 38: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments The section I read last night brought me through the part where the Wart and Merlyn are fish!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Denise wrote: "If anyone watches Jeopardy!, you probably saw last night when they had a category on ... "Arthurian Lit"! I don't remember all of them, but I do remember there were answers about The Mists of Aval..."

cool. Too bad I missed it.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) OKay, forsaking Le Morte d'Arthur: King Arthur & the Legends of the Round Table by Thomas Mallery for another time. Way way WAY too thick at 2 inches to touch right now. So it'll get a little dustier. lol

I'll go with The Once and Future King by T.H. White as it's the oldest of the newer books. (It's from 1939. Le Morte d'Arthur is from 1175.)

message 41: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Jennifer wrote: "April wrote: "Alright, after much deliberation...I've decided on The Crystal Cave...and hope that I can keep myself on track and get back to my dusty reads after...or if I'll go on Art..."

Please feel free! I can't wait until March...I think I can finish my other two before then! :) I've heard good things, and I'm really looking forward to diving in !

message 42: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments April wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "April wrote: "Alright, after much deliberation...I've decided on The Crystal Cave...and hope that I can keep myself on track and get back to my dusty reads after...or ..."

Yes, I loved The Crystal Cave, too! Great series you might just get hooked into.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I have so many other books that I'm reading right now, to work this in I'll try to see if I can manage a chapter a day on this. The Once and Future King

message 44: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments My copy of The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights hasn't come in the mail yet! It's driving me CRAZY! I check the mail every single day, just waiting to see it!

message 45: by Mhari (new)

Mhari (morarwen) | 25 comments If my copies of Diana Paxson's Hallowed Isle series arrive in time, I'll see how far I can get with them. Otherwise, I may have to pick something else at a moment's notice.

message 46: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 38 comments Awesomeness. I guess I need to pull out my Aurthur book huh. :D

message 47: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) Just came home from B&N with a copy of Mists of Avalon!!

message 48: by Missy (new)

Missy (LittleMissMissy) | 19 comments Just got back from getting The Mists of Avalon at the library to read for this month's theme read.

message 49: by Mhari (new)

Mhari (morarwen) | 25 comments Marion Zimmer Bradley is my favourite author, and the Avalon series includes a couple of my favourite books of all time (namely, Mists and Forests).

I have plenty of Arthurian fiction in my to-read list - Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry, Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle, Diana L. Paxson's Hallowed Isle series, Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles - but no stand-alone works. It's the 1st already, and I still haven't decided what to start on! *panics* I almost wish I hadn't read The Dark Is Rising a few months ago...

message 50: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Started The Crystal Cave yesterday...loving it! Love, love, love that I'm learing more about Merlin! It may take me longer than a month to read this book...but I have a good feeling I'm going to enjoy every moment of it! :D

(it also apparently looks as if I need to add the Mists of Avalon to my reading list! )

« previous 1 3