The outsiders discussion

venting/ranting > Teens/depression and cutting

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* (last edited Feb 16, 2012 12:14AM) (new)

Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* | 192 comments Mod
I am surprised at how many teens cut themselves! It is sad how even in Christian families teens cut themselves! Anyone have a story about cutting you can share it here! I wrote a song called Bleed in the Dark under lyrics/poetry that is deticated to someone I know who cuts himself because he was teased and tormented as a child!

this site talks about it and how common it is:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13141254/

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie | 44 comments I knew a girl who cut herself. We were best friends in 8th grade, partly because my group of friends were the only people in school who were nice to her. We havn't spoken for a couple months, because of some other things I'm not ging to talk about. But she'd gotten so bad she'd try to do it in public, and me and our friends always had to take away her knife and fork at lunch. I ended up spending a night talking her out f suicide via text, as far as I know she hasn't tried it again...

a while ago I was in a pretty dark place for a little over a month. I almost tried it, thinking what if? I'd gone as far as snapping rubber bands at my wrists, thinking it wouldn't do anything, but know I know it can be almost as dangerous.
I'd realized that whenever I was thinking what if?, it was really what if I did it? what if they finally realized something was wrong? I wanted to do it for attention! I was so disgusted with myself I wanted to prove myself wrong. That nothing is that bad and I have EVERYTHING to live for and that is NOT the kind of person I am. So I prayed, and prayed, and prayed, and I started to have a more positive attitude about pretty much everything. Things were just starting to go right.

Thats the first time I ever admitted that... to anyone.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon That's cool that you were able to admit that :) I'm glad that things are better for you now :)

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I personally find it heart-wrenching to hear people talking about cutting themselves, especially my friends :( It's really sad that they could actually do stuff like that to themselves :(

Whenever my friends get depressed etc I tell them all the good things about themselves :) If any of you guys have any friends who are thinking about cutting themselves then tell them how awesome they are :)

God loves those who cut themselves etc, even with all their faults :)

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 44 comments thank you :) Sometimes I think back and wonder how I ever got so depressed...

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon :) It might be because the devil was trying to get a hold of you, he loves making people feel depressed etc because it shifts their thoughts from God to themselves.

But, obviously, God didn't let him! :)

I might be wrong btw :D It's what I think might have happened :D

Sadly teen depression is a lot more common than people let on! :( that is kinda why I created this group. I wanted a place where teens could rant and talk out their problems ;) so that they know they really aren't alone

Oh, and i will be praying for your friend ;)

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie | 44 comments maybe, I'm just glad He didn't let it get too far :)

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon @ Cat:

Yeah :( That's nice :)

message 11: by Shannon (last edited Feb 15, 2012 09:54PM) (new)

Shannon @ Kait:

I'll pray for him as well :) That's a good thing to be thankful for :)

Kait wrote: "maybe, I'm just glad He didn't let it get too far :)"

Yeah. That is always something to be thankful for ;)

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie | 44 comments Cat wrote: "Sadly teen depression is a lot more common than people let on! :( that is kinda why I created this group. I wanted a place where teens could rant and talk out their problems ;) so that they know th..."

Thats way too true. I was feeling that bad on the inside, but on the outside, I didn't act much different than I do now! It's really hard to tell if a person is depressed by just looking. I'm pretty sure NONE of my friends thought anything was wrong at the time, and they still don't know.

Cat wrote: "Oh, and i will be praying for your friend ;)"

thanks guys, we aren't really friends anymore, but its still hard to know what she is going through...

Kait wrote: "Cat wrote: "Sadly teen depression is a lot more common than people let on! :( that is kinda why I created this group. I wanted a place where teens could rant and talk out their problems ;) so that ..."

;)

message 15: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I know what you feel like :) I'm not really friends with this girl I was like, best friends with anymore but it still makes me feel sad whenever I see her look stressed out or when people say that they dislike her etc :(

I feel sorry for her :(

Yeah ;( it's sad to see friendships drift apart

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie | 44 comments Sadly, she got into some other things which I wanted no part of, and she knew it..

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Aww, I'm sorry :(

message 19: by Softreflection (new)

Softreflection I know a girl who is cutting herself right now. i know she needs help and needs a friend, but what i can't get past is that she has a good family, friends, and yet she walked up to me and my friend and said " oh yeah I cut myself" She was smiling when she said that, like she was just saying that the weather was good that day. She goes around showing her cuts to people as if it's a medal she won. I simply think she does it for attention, but I don't know her personally enough to know if shes in pain or not. I just think it's depressing and inhuman how she thinks it's a good to hurt yourself intentionally. I can relate to how some people would want to do it, because they are depressed or things aren't right in their life, but I just don't understand that girl's behavior.

VampireAngelSadist wrote: "I know a girl who is cutting herself right now. i know she needs help and needs a friend, but what i can't get past is that she has a good family, friends, and yet she walked up to me and my friend..."

Hmm. That is interesting ;) I don't know of many people that do it for attention....

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon @ VampireAngelSadist:

That's interesting, like Cat said :D

Maybe she's feeling insecure or something :)

I know some people who have lots to be thankful for but they can get a little insecure sometimes :)

message 22: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sherman (kendall_sherman) | 32 comments I personally, cut at one time but never got anything out of it so IU quit and many people at my school do it too...I'm still going to counseling and it helps me

message 23: by Shannon (new)

Shannon That's good :) I'm glad that you're feeling better :)

message 24: by Samantha The Escapist (last edited Mar 02, 2012 09:01AM) (new)

Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
I tried it a couple times actually. I was pretty upset at the time of trying it but it was more out of a sort of clinical curiousity that I chose to try it.

Now this is an open discussion so I feel I can safely say I DID feel an immediate releif from the emotional pain at the sudden physical pain but it certainly wasn't a long term fix. I think the main reason it works for people is that they simply get distracted, they enjoy the endorphin rush and a small sense of pride at simply having done it since I think most people simply don't like pain. When I got my various tattoos and piercings over the years I was always immensely proud of handling the pain and pretty much high on endorphins for the rest of the night.

But once again, it's only a temporary thing and doesn't really necessarilly help. I never developed a cutting problem since it didn't really seem practical, I just found it interesting that it did help when I tried it. (It was a wee modest cut on my forearm and I hid it till it didn't look like anything more than a cat-scratch)

Now anyone I've known who ever did it (excepting 1) did it for attention only. Once people ignored them or called them on it they pretty much stopped. One girl though, my only super-religious friend, was a bad cutter who never really told anyone till I caught her and made her talk to me. She didn't say why really, just that she'd been in counseling for a long time and she just never really got better. She's married now though and I think she's fine. Married super young Oo

I know I'm writing a ton lol but I've also noticed lately (past three years or so) that when I feel myself getting angry about something the reaction I have it so punch something solid. I don't usually allow myself to give way to rages or other sorts of extreme negative moods so I think the punching thing crept up on me because it's sudden and it jars me back to myself when I feel my resolve slipping. It works, but I am working on stopping before my break my hand, as it is I have a bit of a permanent bruising between my knuckles and I did it recently over something stupid so my hand is a bit swollen and gross now.

Just a little share on my own experiences on the topic :)

Edit to add : I've also been into body mods for a little while so I've always got a small list of things I'm going to get done so a positive way I've found to channel emotional pain into physical gratification is by choosing to get my next project done when something bad happens. I have tattoos that, though unrelated, serve as reminders of people I've lost, bad relationships I've learned from or screwed up myself, lessons I do not want myself to forget etc. And some very possitive if difficult experiences. My lip ring happened at a very difficult time in my life that I'm very proud for having pulled through. Etc. This way I don't have a bunch of trashy tattoos, I have the same plans I always had with them but memories to associate all the same.

message 25: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sherman (kendall_sherman) | 32 comments Shannon wrote: "That's good :) I'm glad that you're feeling better :)"

Yeah, I have a great friend and he tells me he won't talk to me if he finds out I do it again because he knows his talking to me means everything so evertime I feel like doing it I think of him...it actually works...

Samantha wrote: "I tried it a couple times actually. I was pretty upset at the time of trying it but it was more out of a sort of clinical curiousity that I chose to try it.

Now this is an open discussion so I fee..."

that is so cool. i have always thought that lip percings were really cool but i dont think i could do it to myself. i have a very low thresh hold for pain, i wont even get my ears periced. i also found ear brow pericings cool also :)

message 27: by Shannon (new)

Shannon @ Kendall:

That's so nice of him :)

Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
Cat wrote: "that is so cool. i have always thought that lip percings were really cool but i dont think i could do it to myself."

I found the piercings a lot easier to get, but they're much harder to heal than tattoos. I currently have my vertical labret in my lip (the one that sits on top of the outer lip, not inside the mouth, it's harder to heal but way better for your teeth and infection in the long run) and a stud in each nostril.

Failed/rejected piercings I've had are a surface piercing on my sternum and a pair of dermal anchors below my clavs. Derms are near painless to get but by far the worst to heal.

Anyway the pain of a tattoo is, I think, quite intense though I am a wuss as well lol. Piercing is over so fast that it really isn't bad. My lip was weird but my nostrils barely twinged. Ears honestly don't hurt too bad either. If you really want them I think you could handle it :)

message 29: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sherman (kendall_sherman) | 32 comments Shannon wrote: "@ Kendall:

That's so nice of him :)"

Yeah, he knows that I'd be upset if he never talked to me so he does it so I won't do it...

message 30: by Grouphug (new)

Grouphug ah i'm depressed and i cut

message 31: by Shannon (new)

Shannon @ Kendall:

That was smart thinking :D

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon @ Jamesdean:

I'm sorry :( I hope that things will get better for you :)

message 33: by Bri (new)

Bri (bri465) @jamesdean
Hun, im so sorry. Im here to listen.

message 34: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sherman (kendall_sherman) | 32 comments Shannon wrote: "@ Kendall:

That was smart thinking :D"

:D

message 35: by Grouphug (new)

Grouphug jamesdean ain't so tough after all

message 36: by Grouphug (new)

Grouphug in fact i'm feelin real down at the minutes, innit?

message 37: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sherman (kendall_sherman) | 32 comments And when you're down its hard to get back up again; when I get depressed I write lyrics to really depressing songs and it usually makes me feel better! but when I share it with people they think it's wayyy tooo depressing and i tell them it can't always be butterflies and flowers, now can it?

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Kendall wrote: "And when you're down its hard to get back up again; when I get depressed I write lyrics to really depressing songs and it usually makes me feel better! but when I share it with people they think it..."

Same with me. I usually do feel down and I write sad poems. I can't write anything else or anything happy for that matter. I also feel better after writing. :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 06, 2012 06:36PM) (new)

Jamesdean wrote: "jamesdean ain't so tough after all"

It takes guts for a guy to admit that. Most guys are and pretend to be like big macho tough guys.

I have to admit, I've been down lately and writing is my only escape from the real world.

message 40: by Grouphug (new)

Grouphug Alicia- wrote: "Jamesdean wrote: "jamesdean ain't so tough after all"

It takes guts for a guy to admit that. Most guys are and pretend to be like big macho tough guys.

I have to admit, I've been down lately and ..."

i worry though that my writing is taking me too far from the world, its like all i live for

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Jamesdean wrote: "Alicia- wrote: "Jamesdean wrote: "jamesdean ain't so tough after all"

I have to admit, I've been ..."

i feel like that too sometimes. it's crazy how obsessed i get with writing and reading just for escape.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

VampireAngelSadist wrote: "I know a girl who is cutting herself right now. i know she needs help and needs a friend, but what i can't get past is that she has a good family, friends, and yet she walked up to me and my friend..."

it sounds like she's doing it for attention. there are people at my school that are like that. for some reason they think it's cool or are following a trend or something. those people don't know what depression is like and how somebody feels when they self harm or do anything like that. it's insensitive in a way, but before i got depressed and self harmed, i didn't understand it either.

message 43: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sherman (kendall_sherman) | 32 comments Yes, but there are kids at your school that do it b/c they are actually depressed right? I know that there are at my school.....

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, there are at mine too. I've cut as well in the past, because I went through about a year of depression. I'm just saying that if someone flashes it around at school on purpose, then they might be wanting attention and that could be because they're depressed. Sometimes though, I know people at my school take it in turns doing it to see who can make the biggest cut.

message 45: by Shannon (new)

Shannon @ Kendall (message 34):

XD

@ Jamedean (message 36):

I'm sorry :( I haven't been down in ages but when you get down, as Kendall said,it is hard to get back up again.

I found that listening to music and doing things that I enjoyed helped me :D

Hang out with some good friends, watch a movie, read a good book or listen to your favourite musical artist :D

message 46: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sherman (kendall_sherman) | 32 comments Rebecca'♥.. wrote: "Yeah, there are at mine too. I've cut as well in the past, because I went through about a year of depression. I'm just saying that if someone flashes it around at school on purpose, then they might..."

me too, i still think about doing it sometimes but I never do.