Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

Seriously Katniss, seriously?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yonina (last edited Mar 05, 2012 01:00PM) (new) - added it

Yonina i cant believe her she goes around starts a war, breaks a few hearts and let people die for her(not to mention Peeta got torturer because of her)and then expects people to be NICE to her and for everything to be okay? i need to know i people agree with me or disagree..... but no " but she didn't means to start a war" because that is just stupid......(Sorry about the random slap bout Katniss i just didnt like the choices she made at the end of the book)

Kristen lol, really?
Katniss wanted nothing to do with any of it. Gale was always the one who wanted to rebel, not her.
She volunteered in the first place to save her sister and then inadvertently started the rebellion, but all she was trying to do was keep herself and Peeta alive.
She couldn't control the outbreak of either the rebellion or the war. People were suffering and sick of the capital killing their kids. Any little thing would have set them off.
And by the time Katniss got involved in everything voluntarily, the war was already in full swing.
Peeta wasn't her fault. She was unconscious when the saved her. They chose to leave Peeta and Snow wanted to turn him into a weapon.

Personally, I think Katniss handled things much better than most people would have. It's amazing that she's not completely catatonic by the end.

Kerri Katniss is a teenager, and from my experience teenagers kind of go for everything without thinking through the consequences (it's like diving into the shallow end head first).

Also, the war would have started with, or without her. She was the face of the war. She gave people hope and a purpose. She didn't ask for any of it, it was thrust upon her and she did the best she could, she is after all a teenager--it's like that Shakespeare quote "some people are born great, some become great, and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Finally, she DID NOT torture Peeta. Nor does she intentionally hurt people. We were inside her head the whole time, and we know that she wanted everyone to be safe and happy, and eventually she had to do what was best for her (I don't mean that in a selfish way because she was pulled in many directions, and her motives were to keep her family, Peeta, and Gale safe).

The Hunger Games is dystopic, so not everyone is going to have a happy ending. And I think everyone deserves kindness, it's not like she went out of her way to be mean

Kerri Kristen wrote: "Personally, I think Katniss handled things much better than most people would have. It's amazing that she's not completely catatonic by the end. "

That's true! Some people would have just curled up in their bed and not move for... I don't know 3-4 months.

Helen Stevens Yonina wrote: "i cant believe her she goes around starts a war, breaks a few hearts and let people die for her(not to mention Peeta got torturer because of her)and then expects people to be NICE to her and for ev..."

She didn't start a war. Others started it and she got dragged in to be the face of it, which she didn't want to do but she knew she had to.

None of the terrible things that happened were what she wanted. You seem to think she let Peeta get captured and tortured, and didn't care - I think perhaps you were reading a different book to me!!

When does she 'expect' people to be nice to her?

David I've got to ask, did you actually read these books?

Because, if you had actually absorbed what Katniss has said, or felt, then you would know that the last thing she wanted was to hurt anyone. The overwhelming guilt for killing those she had killed is what drove her on to finish what was started. Not for her sake, she on several times was willing to be killed for the protection of others.

She is still Human, so when people upset her or say hurtful things, they still hurt. She has flaws, she is not perfect. She was the face of a revolution, an uprising. There are always casualties in war, rather than mourning in a typical way we understand she let their deaths fuel her hate for her enemy, trying not to let them die or be tortured in vain.

She wasn't just some stupid, aimless girl getting upset for no reason at people and expected them to die or be tortured for her sake. That was never her intention.

Sabzzy123 Kerri wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Personally, I think Katniss handled things much better than most people would have. It's amazing that she's not completely catatonic by the end. "

That's true! Some people would ha..."

she kind of did that in the end

Shélah I think you've entirely missed the point of the trilogy. In order for an oppressive regime to be overthrown, war is a necessity. There would be no books without the war. Katniss did not intend to start a war at the beginning of the series, but later realised that it was a necessity if the people of Panem (and specifically those she cared about) were to have better lives: she saved Prim, but she couldn't save anybody else without a full-scale uprising. Katniss did not cause any of it, she was merely the (long-needed) catalyst, and she embraced that role.

The point of Collins killing off certain characters towards the end was to show that nobody is immune to war, but also that innocent individuals (i.e., the bombing of the children) will be lost, or tortured, in an effort to achieve freedom from oppression. Wars are ugly and innocent people die all of the time. Do you blame the creators of military ads for glorifying war, or the human desire to control and dominate, or the dictators? Certainly you can blame them all as they all have a hand in creating and justifying needless death and suffering, but the bulk of the blame certainly does not fall on the shoulders of individual soldiers or spokespeople (although yes, they need to take their share of the responsibility as well, and Katniss does).

esthermarie Exactly! You can not in any way hold Katniss fully responsible for the tragedys which occured in Mockingjay. Look at what she was faced with. I honestly don't think anyone would have been able to do anything much different. Yes, she made mistakes, but what kind of story would it be if she was perfect? The story is meant to be intirely possible and realistic. If innocent people didn't die, if the protagonist did not make mistakes, if everything that happened did not happen, it would be not half as good a book as it was. Its good because it presents us with a possible future from the prespective of a teenage girl cought right in the middle of it, whethter she wanted to be or not. Which conicidently, she didn't.

message 10: by BubblesTheMonkey (last edited Feb 16, 2012 05:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

BubblesTheMonkey I haven't read them in awhile, but I don't exactly remember anything about how she thinks they will all forgive her. If it was just her, then no war would have started. Just some crazy, suicidal chick running around in the arena.

Clara Did you read the same series as me?? Cuz all things considering she only went a little crazy Mockingjay... And just wondering, when did she expect people to be nice to her??

Beth ~Mrs.SheldonCooper~ I don't know. She does expect everyone to be nice with her, but she shouldn't really push it too much. She has to have her own way.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Kristen wrote: "lol, really?
Katniss wanted nothing to do with any of it. Gale was always the one who wanted to rebel, not her.
She volunteered in the first place to save her sister and then inadvertently started ..."

I totally agree!!!

Christina Okay, but once she put something in motion, she couldn't stop it. She tried to defuse it, but like Gale said, you were giving them an opportunity. They just have to be brave enough to take it.

In the end, she hated herself more than anything, because she thought it was her fault for letting everyone just die, but the book was real. It wasn't a happy ending fairy tale, it was legit. In war you can't control what happens. It just does. You don't have time to take a break and cry over the people you just lost. You move on and get it over with.

Vassi I understand why she was angry and sad, and everything. I just do not understand why she voted "Yes" for the new Hunger games with Capitol kids- after all she had to go through, she just decided to let the cycle repeat, only with new kids...also the Epilogue did not say- if these Games really happened, or the new president forbid it. If they let them happen- this is just crazy and i feel like the whole book, and all the people dying, was for nothing.

message 16: by Habz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Habz I think as readers we focus mainly on the main characters and what revolves around them in their personal life. we should not forget that katniss had to start off this war, willingly or not, for the better of her world...lets not forget the bigger picture now...

message 17: by Gwynneth (new) - added it

Gwynneth A. I know she makes me mad!

message 18: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee its like at times, people also forget that she is a teenager, and teens aren't always known for their wisdom and actions

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Dee wrote: "its like at times, people also forget that she is a teenager, and teens aren't always known for their wisdom and actions"

Katniss? Wisdom?! *sputters on laughter*

message 20: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee what i'm saying, which you apparently didn't understand, everyone seems to expect katniss to act like an adult, to be able to justify her decisions, but she is only 16/17, hormones are running wild, there is a reason why people that are, can't be charged with certain crimes because they don't necessarily known what they are doing is wrong, and that is something that should be taken into account

Clara yeah thx Dee!!

Fangs for the Fantasy I see Katniss as fighting tooth and nail every moment to just survive and protect those she cared about. She has hardly anything under control, she is being used and manipulated by just about everyone, she has very few opeople she can trust and just about everyone around her has an agenda that she may not necessarily share.

She has had to be independent and alone for a very long time - why should she trust? Why should she give more? I don't think any of her decisions are especially ridiculous. Maybe not what I'd make in her place, but then, I can't imaginee being in her place

message 23: by Chris (new) - rated it 1 star

Chris Exactly my thoughts! She goes around like a bitchy Prima donna with an attitude problem and when others don't do what she wants or point her faults out she goes ballistic! I didn't like her at all. Egoistic and manipulative protagonists aren't from my personal favourites.

message 24: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will The 1rst katniss sucked in the last book up until than i was with her descisions but the last book was an EPIC FAILURE!

Kate Kid They should bow down to her! She freed them from the Capitol and ended the Hunger Games! Many died yes, but many more were saved.

message 26: by Chris (new) - rated it 1 star

Chris Scorpio *The Little Person* wrote: "They should bow down to her! She freed them from the Capitol and ended the Hunger Games! Many died yes, but many more were saved."

oh, COME ON! Bow down to her? Realistically speaking, she didn't do anything more than pose, being the face of the Revolution. All she actually did is endanger and,entually, kill many people. And she managed to do all this while showing her unique persona of egoistical drama queen.

message 27: by Yonina (last edited Mar 05, 2012 01:11PM) (new) - added it

Yonina Casey wrote: "Yonina wrote: "i cant believe her she goes around starts a war, breaks a few hearts and let people die for her(not to mention Peeta got torturer because of her)and then expects people to be NICE to..."

But at the end she couldn't forgive Gale for making the bomb that killed her sis STOP ACTING LIKE A SNOB YOU KILLED A BUNCH OVER OTHER PEOPLE IN THE PROCESS PLUS KILLED HIS FAMILY TOOO BECAUSE OF THE REBEL AND IDC THAT SHE DIDNT MEANS TO START A WAR BUT SHE STILL DID AND MOST PEOPLE FORGAVE HER FOR IT BUT SHE CAN FORGIVE HER BEST FRIEND!?!?!Bull

message 28: by Yonina (new) - added it

Yonina Scorpio *The Little Person* wrote: "They should bow down to her! She freed them from the Capitol and ended the Hunger Games! Many died yes, but many more were saved."

So why cant she forgive Gale for making the bomb that killed her sis, it is not like Prim is the only one who died

message 29: by Yonina (last edited Mar 05, 2012 12:52PM) (new) - added it

Yonina Kerri wrote: "Katniss is a teenager, and from my experience teenagers kind of go for everything without thinking through the consequences (it's like diving into the shallow end head first).

Also, the war would..."

alright i known i over reacted but i DIDNT say that she hurt people or Peeta, i SAID that it was BECAUSE OF HER that they got hurt

message 30: by Yonina (new) - added it

Yonina Helen wrote: "Yonina wrote: "i cant believe her she goes around starts a war, breaks a few hearts and let people die for her(not to mention Peeta got torturer because of her)and then expects people to be NICE to..."

By people i mean Peeta when she tried to hug him and she got choked and i admit that i over reacted ..but i dont like of the not forgiving Gale

Aleesha Vassi wrote: "I understand why she was angry and sad, and everything. I just do not understand why she voted "Yes" for the new Hunger games with Capitol kids- after all she had to go through, she just decided to..."

She said yes to the new Hunger Games because she needed to gain Coin's trust so that no one suspected that Katniss was about to kill her. Katniss's thoughts kind of reveal that she pretty much thinks Coin is going to do exactly what Snow did with his government and I think Katniss thought on her feet. And there is a feeling of optimism at the end of the book that things were better so I don't think there ever was a new Hunger Games.

message 32: by Yonina (new) - added it

Yonina Clara wrote: "Did you read the same series as me?? Cuz all things considering she only went a little crazy Mockingjay... And just wondering, when did she expect people to be nice to her??"

When she wanted to hug Peeta and her choked her(and i know that he is highjacked) .... i worded the question wrong at the top of the page

message 33: by Yonina (last edited Mar 05, 2012 01:05PM) (new) - added it

Yonina Vassi wrote: "I understand why she was angry and sad, and everything. I just do not understand why she voted "Yes" for the new Hunger games with Capitol kids- after all she had to go through, she just decided to..."

NOW THAT IS SOMETHING THAT GOT ME MAD

Aleesha And she does forgive Gale in a way, but that doesn't mean she can go on "loving" him. Katniss did not intentionally kill anyone. Every person there made their own decisions to fight, even Prim. The innocent people that died were killed by Snow or Coin, not Katniss. In the end, she is a bit messed up, but put yourself in her shoes, if you had witnessed all that and done all that she had done, wouldn't you be a bit crazy/over dramatic/whatever else you guys claim she was? If you can prove you would be a normal person after going through that, then I know millions of soldiers who would love to know your secret.

message 35: by Yonina (new) - added it

Yonina Dee wrote: "what i'm saying, which you apparently didn't understand, everyone seems to expect katniss to act like an adult, to be able to justify her decisions, but she is only 16/17, hormones are running wild..."

In MJ she is 17 and 18 is the age for an adult so she should be "hormones crazy" (which is a very old excuse)

Lauren I loved Katniss in the first in second book, but I think her anger and selfishness in the third book was why it was not as good as the other two!!

message 37: by Dee (last edited Mar 05, 2012 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee but there is a reason why people under 18 cannot be tried as adults in a court of law unless there is a specific reason, because it has been recognized by psychologists/psychiatrists/doctors etc that an adult brain isn't fully formed until at least the age of 18

Diane Yonina wrote: "Casey wrote: "Yonina wrote: "i cant believe her she goes around starts a war, breaks a few hearts and let people die for her(not to mention Peeta got torturer because of her)and then expects people..."
I don't think she was acting like a snob. Prim was her first priority, her sister, the one she loved most. She did everything in her power to save Prim, everything she suffered in the Hunger Games was because she sacrificed herself for Prim.

While I can't help but wish Katniss and Gale worked it out somehow, she probably couldn't even look at Gale anymore without remembering the bombs and Prim.

message 39: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya Nunez Katniss didn't mean to start a war! The only reason the rebellion happen was becasue she and Peeta tried to eat the berries. Katniss didn't think it cause problems, she was trying to save Peeta and herself. Now in MockingJay the only reason I hated Katniss at any point it the book was because when Peeta need her the most she wasn't there for him. Haymitch seriously had to tell her to suck it up. But the war wasn't her fault and she did have a emotional break down because of all the pressure.

message 40: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally I personally think that the leader of the rebellion knew what he was doing when he sent down the bombs because he wanted control over Katniss, but it wasn't completely Gale's fault. However if he hadn't created the bomb, Prim probably wouldn't have been dead. And as for the vote for the hunger games to continue, bad idea. However it does convey the message of how before they come into power, people have different ideals then when they are actually faced with the task ahead of them of controlling such a large people. I actually found that Katniss' breakdown realistically showed what the strain of deaths and betrayals can do to a person with that futuristic control added on. However, in all of the books I felt as if they had gone back in time instead of ahead, it felt like some of the ways of thinking and system of government was set in the 17th to 20th centuries.

Lauren Kristen wrote: "lol, really?
She volunteered in the first place to save her sister and then inadvertently started ..."

I agree! Katniss wasn't just some nut

Katie Adee Yonina wrote: "i cant believe her she goes around starts a war, breaks a few hearts and let people die for her(not to mention Peeta got torturer because of her)and then expects people to be NICE to her and for ev..."

Yonina, I never got the impression that Katniss meant to start a war. Elements came together to use her as the mocking jay while discontent was already strong in the Districts and the rebels (Haymitch, Beatee, Johanna, others) ended up maneuvering Katniss into that position. However, that said, I didn't find Katniss a totally agreeable character. She was very hard to relate to in the way she strung Peeta along (granted, she did so hoping to save his life), the way she could only find romantic attraction to Gale when he was suffering, and that the only person she truly cared for was Prim. Otherwise, she was just a wild, hard-to-control teen who acted before she thought and suffered the consequences while hoping for the best.

Janie Katniss did not start the war, nor did she intentially let people die or, in Peeta's case, get brainwashed.
but what does piss me off about her is that she can't always see what is in front of her. In the first book, she thought Peeta's made up the whole "I'm in love with you" thing just to gain more sponsors. It just made me frustared because she was not able to recognise it until the ending of the second book.

message 44: by Clra (new) - rated it 3 stars

Clra G Even though it is a dystopia, and I do appreciate the fact that Collins did not feel the urge to suddenly convert it in a fairy tale, I was kind of bummed at the end by her feelings towards Peeta. His love was pure and selfless, on the contrary, hers was quite selfish. She does acknowledge this throughout the books, but I do feel that Peeta deserved so much more from her. Especially in the Epilogue! Come on! Then again, I praise her for actually acknowledging this when she is saddened hearing Peeta and Gale talk and Gale saying "she will choose whomever she needs the most".

Derrick Clra wrote: "Then again, I praise her for actually acknowledging this when she is saddened hearing Peeta and Gale talk and Gale saying "she will choose whomever she needs the most".

Ironically, Katniss doesn't choose. I think it's a major cop-out. Gale moves away while K suffers her umpteenth mental breakdown, so she basically gets Peeta by default. He's certainly not a bad choice, and they make sense together ultimately.

But it's not like she really chooses him over Gale.

Mahesh Kerri wrote: "Katniss is a teenager, and from my experience teenagers kind of go for everything without thinking through the consequences (it's like diving into the shallow end head first).

Also, the war would..."

i like your views :)

Jacqueline Shélah wrote: "I think you've entirely missed the point of the trilogy. In order for an oppressive regime to be overthrown, war is a necessity. There would be no books without the war. Katniss did not intend t..."

Bravo! And to add a little wind to your sails, not only did Katniss not try and start a war, she tried VERY hard to stop it at the beginning of Catching Fire.