Pre-Tolkien Fantasy discussion

Manly Wade Wellman

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

All I have to say right now is that Hok the Mighty is awesome.

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) I probably shouldn't have pulled the plug on my Planet Stories subscription before Hok the Mighty came out.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Out of all the pulp authors I've read, Wellman is far and away my favorite. I think his voice is simply the most concise and concrete. This short paragraph perfectly illustrates his mastery of the language:

"Hok had thought only of getting away. The soldiers of Tlanis had thought only of returning to their city under the barrier. This difference of desire resulted in his escape and their destruction."

That is just an awesome paragraph.

I cannot wait for the collected John Thunstone. Speaking of which, the cover was recently revealed:

http://www.haffnerpress.com/hp/wp-con...

Pretty much looks like the best thing ever made.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 14 comments Definitely a Manly Wade Wellman fan. I first read two of his stories in a horror collection, and I knew I wanted to read more. I love his use of darker folklore (some of which is original to his own imagination) to tell stories. He is truly a great storyteller and a talented writer. Out of the pulp writers that I consider favorites, he's at the top of the list.

message 5: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 56 comments I must say, his name is a bit of a tongue twister...

message 6: by John (new)

John R. | 1 comments I love the Silver John tales, so I better get my hands on the Hok stuff...