The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

Books > What to post here

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
If you want to discuss a specific book, you can start a thread in this folder. Just name the thread the title of the book (with the author, too, if you want).

All discussions about books in general go in the "General Book Discussions" folder.

My goal of organizing the threads this was is to prevent duplicate threads being started about the same book. So whether you have a buddy read with someone or you're just reading it on your own for now, people can join in the discussion of specific books in the future and not have to search several threads for everyone's thoughts on one book.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments Wuthering Heights, Agnès Grey & Villette by Emily Brontë

We could discuss Wuthering Hights. It is a classic tale of love that wasn't meant to be due the dynamics of the family that Heathcliff and Catherine live in. It is also an interesting commentary on English social hierarchy at the time. There is a lot woven into this rather tragic novel.

Just a suggestion.

Jennifer

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jennifer, We had another member of this group recently read Wuthering Heights. Members are more than welcome to start discussion threads. I'll start one for Wuthering Heights for you, if you want :)

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments Jessica wrote: "Jennifer, We had another member of this group recently read Wuthering Heights. Members are more than welcome to start discussion threads. I'll start one for Wuthering Heights for you, if you want :)"

That's okay. I just threw it out as a suggestion because for some reason, I was thinking abut it.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 14 comments It looks like the only books considered dusty are the classics. But I have some books that were bestsellers a couple/few years ago that have been collecting dust because I keep meaning to get to them. Don't those count, too?

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Absolutely! I think that people tend to have classics sit on their shelf for a long time, but any book counts!

message 7: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) | 491 comments Mod
Jessica wrote: "Absolutely! I think that people tend to have classics sit on their shelf for a long time, but any book counts!"

^^ This! I just put off the classics as long as possible but had bought them years ago full of good intentions... any book that's 'dusty' counts :)

message 8: by April Lyn (new)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Beth wrote: "It looks like the only books considered dusty are the classics. But I have some books that were bestsellers a couple/few years ago that have been collecting dust because I keep meaning to get to th..."

I'm with you. Sadly, I have a lot of my favorite authors that I've collected more quickly than I can read (re: Jodi Picoult, Jane Green, Alice Hoffman) as well as lots of bestsellers. But I also had the classics because one of my majors in college was English, and they are some that I couldn't get through the first time!

message 9: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments my "dusty" books are books that I book cos I pick them as interesting to-read aka buy them while I can have them cheap (while I still got this job at bookstore lol)

message 10: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 03, 2012 07:26AM) (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments April wrote: "Beth wrote: "It looks like the only books considered dusty are the classics. But I have some books that were bestsellers a couple/few years ago that have been collecting dust because I keep meaning..."

Almost all of my classics are from High School or undergrad school. Except Wuthering Heights. I bought that on my own when I was in Japan at this English bookstore about an hour's train ride from our town. I think I left with more books than I had come with :) My teacher's madelesson plans for my sister and I so we wouldn't be behind when we got back to the States a few months later.

message 11: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Mar 04, 2013 11:34AM) (new)

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) Hi Beth & everyone! Anything we have savoured counts; the reason Jessica's theme is so helpful to me. Nearly everything I own, from recent releases to my favourite gothic mystery authors, is a shoe-in because they all wait a while before getting a turn!

Jessica: are we competing for prizes / noteriety or is it the satisfaction of reaching a maximum of 20 titles? I'm nearly there and wondered if that means I'm done. :) ~Carolyn~