Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > RT Booklovers Convention - Anyone going?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments Hello! I was just curious if anyone was going to the RT convention in April? I've decided that it will be my birthday present (to myself, of course!), but that means I will be going by myself (my husband gave me the spaced out look when he thought I was going to ask him to join me). I've never been before, but it looks like a lot of fun...

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberjy) | 7 comments I wanted to go but its so expensive plus I would be in school during that time. :(

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I think it would be fun, but I haven't been.

message 4: by Gin (new)

Gin | 338 comments What is this?

message 5: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ It does sound interesting but really not my thing and personally I'd rather spend my money buying books.

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (teelee) | 6 comments I have wanted to go for years. I would love to take my oldest niece who loves to read as much as I do. However I just can't afford it and it's been years since it was held in Canada. Oh well maybe someday I'll find a contest I can enter to win a trip to participate at this awesome sounding convention.
Here's hoping!

message 7: by Shanna (new)

Shanna (rubberparrot) | 75 comments gin wrote: "What is this?"

http://www.rtconvention.com/

message 8: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments One day when I open my bookstore I will go. Until then it is very unlikey.

message 9: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Sarah wrote: "Hello! I was just curious if anyone was going to the RT convention in April? I've decided that it will be my birthday present (to myself, of course!), but that means I will be going by myself (my..."

If you click on the events page last year there was a lot of people who were going so maybe some of your GR friends may be there.
Have fun!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments Dawn wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Hello! I was just curious if anyone was going to the RT convention in April? I've decided that it will be my birthday present (to myself, of course!), but that means I will be going..."

Thanks! I've never been to anything like this, so it should be interesting to say the least.

message 11: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 126 comments Sarah, I'll be there! Have been going for years. It's a lot of fun. You can dress up in costumes every night, there are tons of parties for readers (mine is on Friday, the Wild & Wacky Be a Diva Party), chocolate everywhere, LOL. Please come up and say hi to me! My publisher, Avon, does a Dusk before Dawn party and you get signed free books from all attending Avon para authors.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments Jaime wrote: "Sarah, I'll be there! Have been going for years. It's a lot of fun. You can dress up in costumes every night, there are tons of parties for readers (mine is on Friday, the Wild & Wacky Be a Diva Pa..."

Thanks, Jaime. I've thought about going in the past, but it never has worked out. This year, I decided to go for it. :0)

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (thirstyflea) | 3 comments I thought about going, since it's in Chicago (where I live), but it doesn't look like I'll be able to afford it or get the time off work for it... (I'm holding out a little hope still). It looks like it will be lots of fun, though!! I just keep hoping to "bump into" one of the authors out on the street or something ;-)

I hope you have fun!!

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments Stephanie wrote: "I thought about going, since it's in Chicago (where I live), but it doesn't look like I'll be able to afford it or get the time off work for it... (I'm holding out a little hope still). It looks li..."

The Saturday FAN-tastic Day pass is $50 ($25 if you're under 20) which includes the Book Fair from 11-2 and workshops from 2:15 to 6. I thought I saw a posting that said there is generally a nominal entry fee ($5-10) for the Book Fair only.

This is new for me, so I hope it turns out to be fun!

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (thirstyflea) | 3 comments Sarah wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I thought about going, since it's in Chicago (where I live), but it doesn't look like I'll be able to afford it or get the time off work for it... (I'm holding out a little hope s..."

Oh! Thanks Sarah! I didn't even notice that option on there- for some reason I thought you had to do the entire convention or something... But that's great news! I will definitely try to do the FAN-tastic Day pass, which is well within my budget ;-)

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 8 comments This is my first RT, and I'm really jazzed about it! Is the Wild and Wacky Be a Diva party the one you're supposed to wear a boa to? I'm knitting a FABULOUS ruffled boa for that one. :D

message 17: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments For those of you that go, you will have to report back to us how it was.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments Becky wrote: "This is my first RT, and I'm really jazzed about it! Is the Wild and Wacky Be a Diva party the one you're supposed to wear a boa to? I'm knitting a FABULOUS ruffled boa for that one. :D"

This is my first RT as well. I've looked over the schedule a couple of times, but there's so much to do that I don't know what is what. I'm not completely sold on costumes and all that jazz. The whole trip is a bit out of character for me (I'm a home-body), but I'm definitely building up my book-nerd street cred!

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 8 comments I'm not a costume person, either. Really, I was just looking for an excuse to try the ruffle yarn.

My first plan is to go to the RT Virgins session first thing Wednesday morning. I went through the list of workshops and picked out a couple "this is why I signed up for this thing" sessions. (Literally. I've got two or three absolute must-dos.) There seems to be a lot of redundancy built into the schedule. Similar topics running a couple times, or authors speaking on a couple different panels. So beyond the must-dos I plan to keep things loose and see how it goes. I'm a major home-body, too, and I have some health problems, so I think the whole thing will go much better if I listen to what my body and stress levels are telling me. And I'm an ebook-only reader these days, so I'm planning to just chill out in the room on Saturday instead of fighting the crowds at the book signing.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments Too funny! I just finished knitting my daughter a winter headband to go with her fingerless gloves. I haven't ever made a boa, though.

I think I'll go to the parties - sans costume. I have a similar plan of attack for the conference. There are a couple of sessions that I really am geeked about and when I get there I'll just fill in the rest of the time. Also, I have issues with writing in books and have never understood the need to get anything autographed. So, I will probably just look around on Saturday.

message 21: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 126 comments Becky, I can answer your question on the party since I'm one of the authors sponsoring it :) Yes, bring your boa! That'll be great, and please say hi and tell me you're from GR. We are giving away gem necklaces this year, to celebrate 10 years of the Wild & Wacky. We were one of the few reader parties when we started. Now there are a ton. We always have a great time. Historically we've had the cover pageant models and asked them all kinds of crazy questions, but they're dropping the pageant this year. We will come up with some fun stuff to do, though, with prizes and such.

So please, anyone who's going to the whole con, please come to the W&W, Thur at 11:15. I'd love to meet you!

The book fair is massive, a huge room filled with authors and vendors. Sarah, you'll have plenty to see and you'll get to meet your fave authors, too. Even if you're not buying a book, authors love when you come up and chat with them, especially when they're sitting there in a lull :P So please don't be shy about it.

Costumes: there is always a contingent of peeps who don't dress up, so you won't feel like the odd duck if you don't. Some go all out, and it's fun to check out the costumes. Don't miss Heather Graham's vampire ball. They do a skit and you have to try to figure out who dunnit to win a conference fee.

Anything you want to ask, I am now back from vacay and other various life madness and will check back soon.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments Thanks, Jaime. It's a little nerve-wracking to be going by myself, but I don't think I'll have much time to be nervous. I pulled down the full conference agenda today and highlighted the workshops/parties that interested me. The only problem was that I ended up with a TON of highlighting... :0)

message 23: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 126 comments Yeah, Sara, a TON of things to do! But please look for me and hang anytime. Seriously, anytime you see me, just come on over. It's tough to go to a big con by yourself, but I have a feeling you'll get caught right up in all the fun!

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments For future reference, if anyone gets a chance to go to the RT Convention (even for just a day), it's AMAZING! There were tons of giveaways, great sessions with authors, games, free books, and parties every night! Most people were incredibly friendly, and authors would graciously take time out to sign books/swag even if they were on their way to another event.

I will now be reading tons of books that I wouldn't have normally considered, just because the authors were so much fun. The GIANT book fair on Saturday was totally crazy. I hit up a few authors, grabbed a couple of books and got out of there (I stood in lines all week, I wasn't about to do it on Saturday).

Next year, the convention will be in Kansas City and I'm hoping to get a chance to do it all over again. :0)

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 8 comments I ended up at a workshop during the W&W time slot. But I wore my boa all day! I wore it for a while at the bookfair, too, until it was just too hot. There were a lot of bodies in that ballroom!

RT was absolutely amazing. I went by myself, just knowing a few people online. I met so many wonderful people and had a complete blast. It's wild to be talking to someone, look down at their badge, and realize that they're an author and you've read their books!

I absolutely recommend that everyone jump on the chance to go to RT if they can, even if it's just for a day or two. I can't overstate how much fun I had. I had incredible experiences with lots of authors and readers, but the one that the folks in this group would probably be most interested in is that Charlaine Harris hugged me in the lobby!