Q&A with Rebecca Hamilton discussion

Book Covers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pub (new)

Pub Info (pubinfo) | 18 comments I think the cover for The Forever Girl is awesome. For readers: Do you think it was a good fit? What are some of your favorite book covers, in general?

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (rattlehead) | 10 comments There was a recent comment in a review (on Amazon, I think?) about The Forever Girl cover. They stated that they felt the girl on the cover wasn't representative of Sophia, and that it detracted from their own vision of how Sophia "looked" in the book.

I have to admit that I noticed this too. However, it didn't cause any problems with my enjoyment of the book. Also, during the climax of the book, I got the impression that Sophia was dressed more like the girl on the cover rather than her usual attire.

Either way, I thought it was a good cover. Ultimately, it was appropriate.

As for my favorite book covers, I know I keep coming back to the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams, but I LOVED the cover art by Michael Whelan. Like this one from the third book, To Green Angel Tower:
http://www.glassonion.com/catalog/col...

I love cover art that has lots of details. While I'm reading, I like being able to flip back to the cover and pick out things from the story, or try to find the scene in the book that is being depicted there.

message 3: by Rainy (new)

Rainy Kaye (rainyofthedark) | 4 comments To Green Angel Tower is definitely my favorite of his book covers. I do the same thing, flipping back and forth. Few things annoy me more than elements on a cover that never show up in the book, even if just metaphorically. =)

message 4: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (rattlehead) | 10 comments Something I loved about the cover for To Green Angel Tower was how it was divided between how the tower looked in the past and how it looks in the present. Very cool!

message 5: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (rattlehead) | 10 comments Yeah, that's the part I was talking about! The disguise! That's when the cover makes more sense, in my opinion.

The link I posted above should show you the cover for To Green Angel Tower. It's very cool!

Something kind of funny: I didn't really think of Sophia as having curly hair...

message 6: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (rattlehead) | 10 comments LOL! That's very kind of you.

Michael Whelan does some AMAZING work though...

message 7: by Pub (new)

Pub Info (pubinfo) | 18 comments Now I'm curious. What is your book, Brandon? I'd like to see the cover =)

message 8: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (rattlehead) | 10 comments My cover isn't done yet, but you can see the preliminary art here:
http://brandonrluffman.wordpress.com/...

I'm always tickled to show it off. :-)

message 9: by Pub (new)

Pub Info (pubinfo) | 18 comments That is pretty great. Did you draw it?

message 10: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (rattlehead) | 10 comments I have a old friend who is an artist. He's hoping to move into doing artwork professionally, but he's not quite "open for business" yet.

As for myself, I can hardly draw stick figures! LOL!

message 11: by Pub (new)

Pub Info (pubinfo) | 18 comments LOL, that makes two of us =)

message 12: by Tanja (Tanychy) (new)

Tanja (Tanychy) This is interesting. I didn't know that girl on the cover represents Sophia. However, I'll be honest the characters in the book I create in my imagination, so I often don't pay a lot of attention how someone on the cover looks. I like to create them by myself. Although, girl on the cover is really nice, but cover of the second book I like more. That girl has really beautiful dress! :)