The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion


1441 views
I HATED this book.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 370 (370 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I"m not crazy, I just didn't like the book, I read the whole series hoping it would get better, but it didn't. IT just wasn't my style. Why do you guys like it?


message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 15, 2012 03:56PM) (new)

your rude. I'm trying to get people to help me like the book.if you're not gonna do anything but be annoying, don't comment anymore.


Kristen i loved this book, but that's how i felt..if its okay for my opinion


Rebekah you are not crazy i didn't like the series it was just too slow for me.


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Kristen wrote: "i loved this book, but that's how i felt..if its okay for my opinion"

yeah, you didn't say i stink. :)


Kristen I thought that it was very suspenseful. I'm glad to be seeing what other people thought though! :)


message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Tirzah wrote: "Dystopian novels are not everyone's cup of tea. I personally like themes such as this - a tyrannical government being overthrown by people brave enough to stand up for what they believe in. While I..."

Thanxs, yeah a lot of the hype is from the movie, which looks good. better than the book. i'm a visual person in these sy-fiy books. I liked the Pretties series tho-which has the same plot you were talking about-


Kayley it was a truly dark book and definetly not for everyone. i for one think it was thrilling and i love the link to reality that it holds. the characters are endearing, (at least peeta is!!) the setting is great, and the plot is well though out. i love this book. i like how you are being open to suggestions and not being accusing and hateful.


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Megan wrote: "You stink"

Awe leave her alone, its just her opinion. However if she said this about Harry Potter, then she needs to be told off! No offense Natalie


Kristen Kayley wrote: "it was a truly dark book and definetly not for everyone. i for one think it was thrilling and i love the link to reality that it holds. the characters are endearing, (at least peeta is!!) the setti..."

I agree! i think peeta was my favorite character from the book. i like how Collins shaped the characters with their one personality's


message 11: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I personally loved the series...but I can see why not everyone would. Like others have said, dystopian novels aren't for everybody. :)


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I like H.P.! Don't worry. And thanxs Kayley, I only freaked out on Megan. She will NOT be commenting again. :P


message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Tirzah wrote: "@Natalie Yeah, I read Uglies and couldn't really get into it, but I think I will try the rest of the series sometime in my life (got a long booklist). :)"

hahaha, the third one is the best!


message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Good :) and I read Uglies too. I liked it but it just wasn't exciting enough for me. Maybe after I read the Hunger Games I just expected for there to be death and gore in every book ever


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

i didn't like all the death and gore, I LOVED all the uglies books cuz they were suspensful, and more connected to the future than the hunger games (for me atleast)


message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes I agree it IS a lot more connected with the furture


Elizabeth Williams It is nice that you are sharing your opinion, but I totally have to disagree. I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES!! This is one of my favorite series, but I didn't really LOVE the ending, it felt like the author almost gave up, but it was still a good ending, but just not like the rest of the series. The first book is my favorite, but the second book had the greatest ending (I love cliffhangers).


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, The ending was kind of sad, no one was super happy, and I liked the cliff hangers, but she didn't really need them there was so much intensity already in the book.


Kristen it was like the characters were also giving up but i dont know


Allaire i liked the book, but I'm not upset, I like the Uglies series better


Kristen i never got into the Uglies series though, i'll try to again sometime when i get through my to-read bookshelf :) (its reallllllyyyyyyyyy) long!


message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

*she means obbsessed, she just told me*


message 23: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Megan wrote: "You stink"

People have various options on various subjects and she wasn't crazy or stupid to dislike this series. I rather hated it myself but that doesn't call for calling people names because you have a completely different option than she does. Watch your mouth because if you don't. One of these days, you'll be stunned!


Rebekah i personally didn't like them because it made me have bad dreams i don't know if that is a real reason and also because it was too slow


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought Hunger Games was too boring (i know with all the killing, how could it be?) but it was just the same dullness in all the books, The hunger Games was kind of deppressing for me.


Rebekah @UgliesSeriesFan!!

I agree with you it was a bit graphic in a way i may be wrong though to some people


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Can you explain some of the graphics in the uglies, I never noticed it, but what are some?


Rebekah No sorry i meant in the Hunger games i haven't read the uglies yet


Rebekah Jace wrote: "You're kidding me right??
The Hunger Games is one of the best series ever to be written!!! I love it!!!"


everybody has different opinions


Valerie I thought it was pretty good... but then again, I'm not everyone else. While hate is a strong word, I guess you have your reasons for hating it. I personally loved everything about it.


message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

#1UgliesSeriesFan!! wrote: "I"m not crazy, I just didn't like the book, I read the whole series hoping it would get better, but it didn't. IT just wasn't my style. Why do you guys like it?"

I didn't like it, either, and I have a few friends who felt the same way. You're not alone.


message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Valerie wrote: "I thought it was pretty good... but then again, I'm not everyone else. While hate is a strong word, I guess you have your reasons for hating it. I personally loved everything about it."

hate isn't really a strong word, it just captures attention, that's mostly why i used it. I don't HAte it but, i definetly do not at all like it.


message 33: by Dana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dana I completely HATED this book myself, and I was extremely pissed that the school my child went to last year sent this home with her, she was only 10 years old at the time...NOT APPROPRIATE.


Nya Tomlinson-Horan-Malik-Payne-Styles all i have to say about this is..... CRAZY!!! yeah, i know, "it is my opinion and you have no right to call me crazy." well, actually, ya i do.


Lauren Wood What type of books do you actually enjoy reading? I think you just need to find what you like. But its always good to experience a book you've never read before, even if you didn't like it. Kudos for reading it though! :)


message 36: by Cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cat This book is AWESOME!


Kitsch Haus I will probably read the rest of the series just out of morbid curiosity and to see if it possibly stops sucking so much ass.

I have a lot of beef with this book. Number one being that it is clearly just Battle Royale with white people and a sissier author.

There was nothing about the characters that got me excited, or ever really wanted to root for them. 3/4 of the book is pointless build up to the game, and once you get there it's like "3 people died last night. oh wooo" Huh? How? Details! It's a book about children being forced to kill each other for sport! I don't need a gore fest, and yes I get it, it's YA, BUT C'MON!

I would also like more back story. what the hell happened to the US? maybe it gets explained in the other books, but a little insight would have been appreciated earlier on.

ugh, I was so so so disappointed!


message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Kitsch wrote: "I will probably read the rest of the series just out of morbid curiosity and to see if it possibly stops sucking so much ass.

I have a lot of beef with this book. Number one being that it is clea..."


I don't think it was just like "three people died last night." I mean Katniss was there for most of the deaths except for two people.


Brenna  Moss its a really good book! i am on the second one right now! i am so excited about the movie!


message 40: by Annabel ♥ (last edited Mar 24, 2012 06:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annabel ♥ I liked it, but the last book bothered me. There were so many loose ends that I would have liked to have been tied up, and I totally get where you're coming from there, Natalie .I felt the books got worse as they went on, though, and Suzanne Collins just thought that after she cleared all the characters up in the first book that she could just slack off and not do any more character development in the last book. However I did love this series and highly recommend it to anyone, really.


message 41: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee I disagree that all of the hype is only because of the movies (although its exciting), even before a movie was being talked about, there was tons of hype about how good these books were, thats why I knew I needed to read them. No movie for me can ever out do a book, and although I'm looking forward to seeing it, my love, and excitement for the books, has nothing to do with the movie. But as for you hating it no one can help you like a book, you have to like it yourself. But everyone has there own likes and dislikes, this book just must not be your type. I for one loved the whole series, I thought the concept was amazing, the characters were easy to relate to, even the heartbreaking moments were great. The only complaint I have about them is they ended. But every great story has to end sometime I guess..lol


Alexa i disliked it too


Arianna I get how some people thought it was to gory or what-not, but I still loved Katniss and the way she handled rebellions with her supporters.... AND I LOVE PEETA!


message 44: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby I really loved the books in general. The characters were well developed, the plot was great *although a little slow at some points*, the story line was really creative and insightful if not a little depressing, and the idea was great. However, I must say that I really hated the ending in the last book. She let the characters just drop off without warning. It made me wonder, what happened to Haymitch? To Mrs. Everdeen? To Gale? To Delly or Effie or the prep team? I really loved the first two books (the second was my fave) but the third one sort of annoyed me. It was kind of dull in some parts without as much action because Peeta and the Games were over with, and I would've liked to see some of the story told from Peeta's point of view to give the audience a real sense of what he went through. Aside from the dead end plot in the last book, I really did enjoy the series. They were suspenseful, stunning, and utterly blunt with her prediction of what might happen in the future. It was a fantastic Dystopian read, and I swear I've read the books at least ten times!


Erika Megan wrote: "You stink"
lol

@#1UgliesSeriesFan!! I think everyone has different tastes and opinions, so it's totally ok if you didn't like a series everyone seems to like, there's nothing wrong with it... and it's what makes us more interesting ;)


Asgar It's just another piece of young adult fiction.
Nothing remarkable about it as far as literature goes.
It's not bad, so to speak. There's just no point in reading it if you are looking for something with rhetoric value.
Good for leisure, if you just want to fill your time in with something light and desultory.


Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* i think it wasn't for me. i couldnt get attacked to the characters. :) but that is just me.


message 48: by yael (new) - rated it 5 stars

yael I liked this book but every ones opinions count. Megan, what if i said u stink? cuz now ur causing probs.


Kayla I loved the books because there was so much action, excitement, and parts that just sort of touched my heart. And it was written really well, so I got to know the characters. The third one was my least favorite, though, it just stopped being about the Hunger Games.

But I get why you might not like it, everyone has different tastes in books. :)


message 50: by MO (new) - rated it 5 stars

MO I loved all books in the Hunger Games series for different reasons. If you liked the Hunger Games series because of the dystopian, futuristic setting and character development/romance & relationships- then you'll also want to read Delirium by Lauren Oliver and Divergent by Veronica Roth. Graceling and Matched are also really good.


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

The Hunger Games (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Suzanne Collins (other topics)