Connecting Readers and Writers discussion

Writer's Station > Indie Translation Experiment

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg Scowen (GregScowen) Can Indie authors reach out to foreign markets? I would like to think so.

Therefore, I have embarked on a costly experiment. I have signed a contract for the translation of my debut novel into German. It doesn't come cheap but I think there is potential to hit the German market hard.

I want to share my experience with other Indie authors. But I also need your support. If you donate just $5 at IndieGoGo (link below) to support this experiment, I will give you a copy of the eBook and supply you with a full report of the outcome of this experiment. Not just when the book is published in German, but continuously as it starts to sell and hopefully succeed in a second marketplace. I will also provide information about how I have arranged this, what to expect, how not to get ripped off, and tips and advice on selling to the German market (I speak German and live in Switzerland).

Interested? Or just supportive?
Donate here: http://www.indiegogo.com/TheSpanishHe...

message 2: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Griffin (authorGeraldGGriffin) | 295 comments Greg, I am presently in discussion with a German distributor to have the ebook version of my suspense thriller OF GOOD AND EVIL translated into German and distributed and promoted in Germany at no cost to me --- at least that's what the distributor says. The deal hasn't been finalized, but thanks for the alert regarding possible costs.

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg Scowen (GregScowen) Hi Gerald,

Realistically, a translation project like this should cost much more. I have been lucky in that the translator I chose to work with believes in the project and is due with her second child so cannot commit to her normal workloads.

I received about 80 offers for the job when I advertised it. Some of the dodgy offers were as low as $800 USD (I would not recommend something like that). Others were as high as $17,000 USD.

Generally, translators employed by agents, publishers or distributors will take their fee and also a royalty on every copy sold. At least, that is how I understand it.

Good luck with your pending contract. Please let me know if you get it all happening. Would be interesting to know more.

message 4: by Gerald (last edited Feb 17, 2012 04:52PM) (new)

Gerald Griffin (authorGeraldGGriffin) | 295 comments Greg, this offer came from the House itself. I did not make the contact. The House contacted me --- through my site builder after viewing my website. The House said it would handle all costs; including translation, promotion and distribution.

I'm to receive a proposed contract. I'm waiting to see if it involves any cost for me, though the House didn't indicate that it would.

Let's see if the House is on the level.

Could it be that the Germans are really screaming for my book? :)

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg Scowen (GregScowen) It is altogether possible. Though read the contract very carefully when you get one. I once had an experience with a German House that also wanted an academic work of mine. At the time, I didn't realise the potential risks and they did publish the work, but with such high retail prices that it never sold a copy. It just looks embarrassing now.

Live and learn.

But, German houses are always on the lookout for good work and smaller houses need to compete by contacting authors directly before the big houses get their hands on everything. It will be interesting to see what they offer.
Any house of reputation will definitely cover all the costs up front but will also be taking a little extras for the translator in most cases (royalty).

Take care to ask what the retail price will be in Germany and Switzerland. Let me know and I can tell you if this is reasonable. It's important because Germany has a price binding meaning that stores can only sell it at the list price and not discount, including Amazon. It removes competition but if the price is too high, you wont sell. Switzerland is voting on one of these in March. Fingers crossed it doesn't go through.

message 6: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Griffin (authorGeraldGGriffin) | 295 comments Greg, wow, you're certainly giving me an education on the German Houses and German marketing; and for that you have my deepest gratitude.

Now, thanks to you, I won't sound like such a novice in dealing with them.

For your diligent veteran effort in explaining all of this, I will certainly keep you abreast of all the develpments in this interesting saga.

The House did mention that they prefer dealing through Amazon.

Appreciate you, friend.

message 7: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Griffin (authorGeraldGGriffin) | 295 comments Greg, just recieved the first draft of the ebook contract from the House in question, which is:

Polzer Publishing (Kulturverlag Polzer GmbH.)

A-5020 Salzburg

CEO Dr. Bodo Polzer

Upon initial reading of the draft of the contact, everything seems fine as to what was represented to me.

There are no costs or fees to me whatsover, with the publisher picking up all costs of any kind, ranging from tanslation and distribution of the ebook to its promotion and reviews. The ebook will be handled primarily through Amazon, with 45% royalties to me.

If you have information on this publisher I should know about, or have any concern (based upon your experience and knowledge) on aspects of the contract I've informed you of, please let me hear from you.

Thanks, friend --- for all your enlightment in this matter.

message 8: by S. (new)

S. Wachtel (sericwachtel) | 9 comments Gerald,

I too am in negotiation with Polzer Publishing for the publication of my thriller, The Essene Conspiracy, as an ebook translated into German. I think it would be beneficial for us to chat.

Eric

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg Scowen (GregScowen) Hi Gerald and Eric,

Sorry it has taken so long to come back... we have a new son and so I am kept busy.

I have had a look at Polzer and just wanted to give my opinion. I read German and so am maybe able to tell you some things about them that you do not know.

The company was originally a map publisher. This was established as a family business in 1949. In 1991 they went wider into magazines and books. It is mostly a culture publisher... ie, arts, music, theater etc.

This venturing into thrillers (fiction altogether) seems to be a very new thing. They list no fiction titles on their website. In fact, they only have a handful of titles at all. This appears to be a very small and focused publisher. The prices of the books they are producing seems fairly high. I don't know how successful they are.

I can only guess that their entering into the fiction market is a gamble on their part. Presuming they pay for a low quality translation of the books and then hope that they can sell enough to make it worth it to them. Will they pull it off? I don't know. But you have to ask yourself what price they will sell the finished product for? (or ask them). What will the quality be like?

I would have to many questions to jump into this one fast. Of course, I am speaking without seeing the contract they offer, so it is just my opinion based on what the website tells me.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen Talty (Jen_Talty) | 17 comments We have had 2 books translated into Spanish and one into German and are currently having more translated. It is costly, but we are beginning to sales in these markets in eBook. The hardest part is figuring out how to market them.

message 11: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Griffin (authorGeraldGGriffin) | 295 comments Greg, many thanks for the further feedback on Polzer for Eric and I.

As for me, the contract Polzer sent me looks good, with no costs to me, so I'll just wait and see what happens, with guarded expectations.

Again, I greatly appreciate all your follow-up on this, and wish you great success in your writing pursuits.

My hearty congratulations on your new son. I can well understand how busy you must be.

message 12: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Griffin (authorGeraldGGriffin) | 295 comments Jen wrote: "We have had 2 books translated into Spanish and one into German and are currently having more translated. It is costly, but we are beginning to sales in these markets in eBook. The hardest part is ..."

Jen, delighted to hear of the foreign translations of your work. Sounds like your books are doing well in the eBook format. Best wishes for your success there.

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen Talty (Jen_Talty) | 17 comments Gerald wrote: "Jen wrote: "We have had 2 books translated into Spanish and one into German and are currently having more translated. It is costly, but we are beginning to sales in these markets in eBook. The hard..."

Thanks. I should have clarified that the translations are of my business partner's books, Bob Mayer. What we are now looking into is trying to get help in promoting them in these markets.

message 14: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Griffin (authorGeraldGGriffin) | 295 comments Jen wrote: "Gerald wrote: "Jen wrote: "We have had 2 books translated into Spanish and one into German and are currently having more translated. It is costly, but we are beginning to sales in these markets in ..."

Ah, so. Thanks for the clarification.

message 15: by Toni (new)

Toni (ToniDwig) | 3 comments I just got an inquiry from Mr. Polzer about translating/pubbing my ebook for the German speaking market.

I'm wondering how it's going for those of you who have signed on.

Thanks.

message 16: by Gerald (last edited Mar 30, 2012 05:59PM) (new)

Gerald Griffin (authorGeraldGGriffin) | 295 comments Toni, things seem to be going well for me at this time. I understand my novel is being translated into German and that promotional efforts are being explored. However, I've yet to receive any questions or specifics related to these. I can only assume that things are progressing as my contract calls for.

message 17: by Toni (new)

Toni (ToniDwig) | 3 comments Thanks Gerald. Wishing you the best with the book!

message 18: by Laekan (new)

Laekan Kemp (laekanzeakemp) | 7 comments Jen wrote: "We have had 2 books translated into Spanish and one into German and are currently having more translated. It is costly, but we are beginning to sales in these markets in eBook. The hardest part is ..."

I'm interested in having my book translated into Spanish in the event that I self-publish it. How much did it cost?

message 19: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Griffin (authorGeraldGGriffin) | 295 comments Thanks, Toni. And the best with yours.

message 20: by David (new)

David Simpson (DavidSimpson) | 1 comments Hi Gerald!

I'm very interested to hear how did the whole thing with Bodo Polzer went? My husband (David) also got contacted by him and we said "yes" to the contract...he only had 12 months to fulfill the contract, but he never did. We emailed him several times to ask how the translation was going but we never got an answer back. At this point the contract is null and void since the book never got translated. Let me know how your experience went.

All the best,

Jenny

Gerald wrote: "Greg, just recieved the first draft of the ebook contract from the House in question, which is:

Polzer Publishing (Kulturverlag Polzer GmbH.)

A-5020 Salzburg

CEO Dr. Bodo Polzer

Upon initial re..."

unread topics | mark unread