Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Film School for My Ten Year Old (the movie canon)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments My ten year old is turning out to be a movie buff...let me explain. A few months back, when he was sick, he and I watched the entire Lord of the Rings cycle together. He loved it, although he said (and this brought a proud tear to my eye), "Some parts are really boring...why do they walk so much?" Anyway, since then on Saturday nights sometimes, after his little brothers go to sleep, he and I will watch movies. He's now seen all the Star Wars as well. He can handle pg-13, he's smart, etc.

Question...what movies should every ten year old watch, both for fun and to appreciate good filmmaking?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The Indiana Jones movies were pretty good, haven't seen the new one but the older ones were good.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Real Genius!
(Shut up.)

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Maybe Il Postino. I haven't watched that one in forever, but it's good filmmaking. Straight up storytelling--no extra bullshit.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Remember this is a 10 year old, what is fun and fairly decent filmmaking will be different for them.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) A mature 10 year old. And Il Postino is about a little boy.

message 7: by Amanda (last edited Dec 02, 2008 07:32AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Wait a sec. Am I thinking of the wrong movie? I'm thinking of the one where the little boy meets that man who runs the movie theatre and they become friends but then the movie theatre burns down.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry, just looked it up, I had it confused with Kevin Costner's The Postman, which I didn't think was a very well made movie, or one that a 10 year old would like.

I've never seen Il Postino, but remember hearing about it, so can't really make a comment on it.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I was thinking of Cinema Paradiso anyway.

There's nothing wrong with expanding a 10 year old's mind. After all, several decades ago, 10 year olds were reading Tolkien. The brain power is there.

message 10: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments I think that Cinema Paradiso is one of the sweetest movies I've ever seen. I watch it nearly every year.

Il Postino was good too, it was the one about Pablo Neruda's exile in Italy.

RA, when I was his age I was obsessed with the Star Wars trilogy, Willow, Dark Crystal, Labyrinth and anything that had Cary Grant in it (To Catch a Thief, for the win). Hmmmm, I'll put my thinking cap on and try to think of some that he may enjoy.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

RE#9
You are right the brain power is definitely there, and I went with Indiana Jones because they were action movies similar to Star Wars and Lord of the Ring movies.

Chocolat and About a Boy may not be as good as Cinema Paradiso, but would be good movies also.

I second Logan on Willow, it was a pretty decent movie.

I haven't seen Cinema Paradiso, but it is now on my list of movies to watch.

message 12: by Sarah (last edited Dec 02, 2008 09:10AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Chocolat? Isn't that pretty sexual, or am I remembering it wrong?

If he digs fantasy, how about The Princess Bride and The Neverending Story?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I think there may be some underlying tones, but I didn't think it was blatant. It has been awhile since I've seen it so I may not be the rightest I've ever been.

The Neverending Story is a good one.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) What about The Chronicles of Narnia? You could encourage him to read the books also. I think I was about nine or ten when I read those for the first time.

message 15: by Amanda (last edited Dec 02, 2008 10:15AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I have never understood why violence is ok for kids to watch, but sex isn't. Seems totally backwards to me.

My sibs and I watched Willow as a kid. My brother loved it, my sister was scared to DEATH of those Death Dogs, and I was fascinated by the Nelwins (the little people). To this day, whenever we see Warwick Davis in a movie, my dad shouts, "Willow!" It's hilarious. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Anything by Pixar is good, although you probably already watch those with the kids. The scripts for those movies are so good, and then you add the wonderful animation on top of a strong story - how can you go wrong? I love The Incredibles, with the whole family joining dad in the superhero business.

Anything by Miyazaki, too. Spirited Away is so weird and Japanese and cool, I love it!

I think I saw Jaws when I was ten, and wasn't traumatized. Great movie, and one I think a boy would enjoy a lot.

There's some great Dickens adaptations out there. Nicholas Nickleby from 2002 was very good, and had all those wonderful British actors.

How about some old derring-do? The Adventures of Robin Hood starring Errol Flynn is fun.

Oh! I know! All the Buster Keaton silents! Steamboat Bill has incredible stunts, and is really funny!
And not just Keaton, but some Harold Lloyd, and Charlie Chaplin, too, of course.

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments These are all great ideas. Thanks, people. He's young and innocent and open-minded, so I think now is a good time for The Princess Bride, the Buster Keaton stuff, etc...he'd probably like it. Great ideas.

Actually, Sarah, Prince Caspian was the first movie we saw together, now that I think about it, that was probably appropriate for him but not his little brothers. I wasn't sure how he would handle some of the more intense scenes, but he came out unscathed.:)

message 18: by Lori (last edited Dec 02, 2008 01:29PM) (new)

Lori Let me think about this RA, it sounds as if your son is very similar to Jake who is only a few years older and very mature with movies and books. I know I've been more lax about the rating situation than alot of parents since so many good films seem to get rated out of the PG area for a curse word which doesn't bother me.

Oh I remember he saw The French Connection around then. The Birds, Jaws, Juraisic Park too. Oh - the Peter Sellers Pink Panther movies, he loved those.

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori Connery. Sean Connery.

message 20: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Yeah, you get PG-13 if you have one "fuck," right? And then you can ONLY have the one "fuck" to keep the PG-13, I think.

I loved The Bear, but I can't think about it too much right now b/c I'll start crying. But it's a beautiful film.

message 21: by Lori (last edited Dec 02, 2008 03:57PM) (new)

Lori Ohhh, another good one was Secondhand Lions. Dragonheart, again with Connery, was great. Big Fish, Whale Rider, A Fish Called Wanda (Jake rewatched Kevin Klein's disapPOINTed! 10 times in a row!), yes to The Bear, March of the Penguins, Catch Me If You Can, he loved all those. And Batman too. (The Burton and Nolan ones)

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh yeah, Iron Giant is so so good!

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) The Iron Giant made me sob.

How about E.T., or is he too old for that one?

message 24: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Who's too old for E.T.?! Bah!

message 25: by Meen (last edited Dec 02, 2008 05:27PM) (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments OMG, RA, To Kill a Mockingbird! Sooooo many great conversations to have after that one!

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori Too talky for a 10 year old boy, perhaps. Not much action.

message 27: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Really? Yeah, I guess during the trial, but other than that, I think so much of it is very kid-ly adventuresome--in a very innocent way... And then parts of it are even scarey--Boo Radley, Bob Ewell, yikes!

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori It's been a loooong time since I've seen it, Mindy, I really should watch it with Jake! But then he won't want to read the book, argh.

message 29: by Cyril (new)

Cyril OK, show him Saw, Grindhouse, and Silence of the Lambs. If he still wants to watch movies after that, you'll know he really is dedicated. Or a psychopath.

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori Hey why not throw in The Shining? And The Ring? :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Ignore them, RA. They are sick, sick people! ;)

You should watch Young Frankenstein with him, which is totally ten-year-old boy humor. And then, if he's interested, the original Frankenstein.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Right, plus, Harry Connick, Jr. is in The Iron Giant.

message 33: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments RFLMAO @ Cyril!

(I was very disappointed with Grindhous, btw.)

message 34: by Meen (last edited Dec 02, 2008 06:16PM) (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Lori, I think that's one movie where it's OK not to read the book first... Maybe because the film retained a lot of the feel of the book... And the book can be for when he's older b/c there is a lot more going on in it than just the childish adventure stuff. Or maybe I'm biased b/c I saw the movie first and fell in love with it long before I ever read the book.

Edit: But now I'm in love with the book, too, and have read it over and over.

message 35: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh! Young Frankenstein is PERFECT!

Jake saw Last of the Mohicans around that age. Loved it.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Chocolat has all those f**king scenes when they eat the chocolate! People! I'd have freaked out if I saw that with my dad at age 10.

I loved Stand By Me.

message 37: by Lori (new)

Lori So true, romance, as the kid says in The Princess Bride, yech, and to see with your parental unit, oh just mortifying!

message 38: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, he's seen the Indiana Jones movies, I should have mentioned that...

I hit the library website this morning and ordered Young Frankenstein (if only so Jacks won't yell at me for having never seen it myself), Princess Bride, Neverending Story, and something called "Slapstick Masters" featuring Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin shorts. I think he'd like Dark Crystal and some of the others, too....thanks, people...

message 39: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Yes! Stand by Me! Good one, Montambo!

RA, are you gettin' all this????

message 40: by Heidi (last edited Dec 03, 2008 12:17PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Chocolat definitely has some mature sexual scenes (for a 10 year old) - as in sex on the boat while the large boat catches on fire. Other than that, it's okay. - I think it's up to you to decide whether or not he's mature enough to handle seeing that.

Movies I'd recommend, RA -

~ Deepa Mehta's Water
~ The Sandlot
~ Field of Dreams
~ the original Bad News Bears
~ E.T.
~ Close Encounters of the Third Kind
~ The Rocketeer
~ Men In Black
~ Ghostbusters
~ Back to the Future
~ Billy Elliot
~ The Mask of Zorro
~ PeeWee's Big Adventure
~ the Superman trilogy
~ if you can stick it out - Napoleon Dynamite (some love it, and everyone else hates it. I love it.)

Lori mentioned a couple I would've added, too -

~ Secondhand Lions
~ Whale Rider (a personal fave)
~ Amelie (if he's mature enough to handle sperm/nudity/sex)

Some Hitchcock classics are always great - I was 10 when I saw my first - The Rear Window. I think Vertigo, To Catch a Thief, North By Northwest, Dial M for Murder, The Birds, would also be fun to watch together.

Shadow of a Doubt is a not-as-well-known Hitchcock film that I'm sure you'd both enjoy. It's about a young girl who suspects her favorite uncle might be a serial killer.

message 41: by Lori (new)

Lori Heidi - great list! Haven't seen 2 of those, putting them on my movie list to watch with Jake. Other than those, Jake loved them all.

message 42: by RandomAnthony (last edited Dec 03, 2008 11:59AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Interesting...I would never have thought of Hitchcock. Thanks, Heidi. Nice new pic, by the way.

I don't know if he's mature enough for nudity. But I'm definitely not.

message 43: by Heidi (last edited Dec 03, 2008 12:15PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Water does reference one of the characters having a past of being sold into prostitution, but it's discreet enough. You may want to watch it yourself, first.

message 44: by Heidi (last edited Dec 03, 2008 12:16PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I should add that Water and Amelie are subtitled movies. If you guys don't like subtitled movies, you may want to skip them... I should've added Lagaan to that list, too.

Lagaan - GREAT movie

message 45: by Lori (new)

Lori RA - I'd go with The Birds, and North by Northwest to start. Jake was not afraid of The Birds at all. What's wrong with him? I see a group of crows and I still get the shivers!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Amelie has an orgasm montage.

message 47: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments That's why I added note "if he's mature enough to handle"... At that age, I'd have probably closed my eyes or turned my head from embarrassment.

message 48: by Sarah (last edited Dec 03, 2008 02:14PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) He's ten years old. I don't think it's about maturity or embarrassment. I think it's about appropriateness. What's wrong with protecting a child's innocence for a little longer? Amelie has a LOT of sex and nudity, not just a little.

RA, if he liked Indiana Jones, he'd probably like the National Treasure and Pirates of the Caribbean movies. They're action-packed, lots of fun, squeaky clean, and perfect for a 10-year-old boy.

message 49: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments I don't know about that, Sarah. What is appropriate is a very relative thing. I was around ten when my parents started allowing me to stay up and watch their movies with them. Everything, without exception, was on the table: The Doors, Flight of the Intruder, Romeo & Juliet, Bird on a Wire, Romancing the Stone- I saw it all. Sure, it fostered some awkward conversations with my parents but I still loved the feeling of being allowed to stay up late (like a grown-up!) and watch the same materials as my parents. Admittedly I didn't understand much of what I saw, but it fostered a love of film in me that persists to this day.

message 50: by Gåry! (last edited Dec 03, 2008 03:46PM) (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) the Goonies
I would heartily second the earlier mention of the Bad News Bears as well.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.