Into the Forest discussion

Original Fairy Tales > Grimm General Infromation

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Feb 15, 2012 02:35PM) (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1390 comments Mod
Hi all,

The Complete Brothers Grimm is our next classic read. There are several editions - the two best being The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales or The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm. There are also various collections that have some of the tales. Additionally, the stories are availble on ebook readers starting at the price of free. I will be putting up a link for online versions of the tale. I will also put up a reading squence list.

Currently, I have us down as taking two months to read them. Does anyone think that is t0o short?

message 2: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4532 comments Mod
I think that is enough. I just re-read many of the
Grimm's tales in the Blue Fairy book.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Reed Chris wrote: "Hi all,

The Complete Brothers Grimm is our next classic read. There are several editions - the two best being The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales or [book:The Complete Fairy Tales of ..."

YAY! I just purchased The Annotated Brothers Grimm (edited with a preface and notes by Harvard scholar Maria Tatar), and it's truly sumptuous. The illustrations are lovely, and I find Tatar's side notes to be fascinating. It's just so beautiful I could eat it ;)

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Reed Would the group consider selecting certain stories for each week? Might be an alternative to talking about the whole collection in 2 months (but either way is fine : ).

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1390 comments Mod
Diane, I was thinnking of doing what you suggest. I just need to get out my copies and see how to break them down. I should have it up by next week. I will also include a link to online editions too.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Reed Cool : )

message 7: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 37 comments I now have Tatar's edition, and it is lovely, but it is very incomplete. The only ebook edition I could find that had the complete list matching our reading list was on Amazon (not here on GR), titled Household Tales by Brothers Grimm.

The Amazon ebook version of this title is free at 793 kilobytes.
http://www.amazon.com/Household-Tales...

There is another Amazon ebook version that looks complete for $2.62 at 996 kb.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Grimms...

So far I have too many different editions now, and am getting confused :) I will go back and forth between one of the complete editions and Tatar's, just to get a deeper reading. Already I have read three different ways of dealing with the Frog Prince.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane Reed I agree--Tatar's notes are very intriguing & the book itself is gorgeous, but it seems incomplete. I've had to supplement by looking online : )

message 9: by F.T. (last edited Mar 17, 2012 04:45PM) (new)

F.T. (ftmckinstry) I have The Complete Fairy Tales of Brothers Grimm. It's been a long time since I read it, so I'd love to read them again. :) Oh yes and it has beautiful illustrations.

message 10: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4532 comments Mod
I also have the Maria Tatar book. That is right any of the tales on the reading list are not on it. I do love all the notes however.