815 Discussion discussion

The Outsiders > 2/15: Cicero

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Flagg (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 15 comments Mod
Paragraph 1:

Cicero once said, "We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race."

Do you agree or disagree with his statement?

Paragraph 2:
Choose one of the following:
1.) Describe a real situation in which a community united to make change.
2.) Describe a breakdown within a community.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Cicero once stated, “We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race.” I agree with this statement because it is stating that we were destined to unite with people that share the same goals as we do, even though they may be very different from you. And of these little communities we are a part of, we are all one big community: the human race. Thus, I agree with this statement.

In a show called Degrassi, I witnessed a real situation in which a community united to make change. This was when one of the main characters, named Claire Edwards, created a rebellion against her principal who was cruel, as well as very premature and inexperienced in teaching. She united a community of people who all shared the same goal: to fire the principal. Their community eventually protested loudly in front of the school one day and the principal was later fired. This is an example of a real situation in which a community united to make change.

message 3: by Max B (new)

Max B | 13 comments I agree with the statement that Cicero made. I think that one of our responsibilities as people is to unite with others or in other words, make friends. If we all just sat around in our houses all day not interacting with others, we wouldn't accomplish anything with our lives. Our society would be pretty horrible. Our government, and all other governments in the world, rely on communication to solve their problems and make their country-or community- a better place.

Last fall, we all witnessed a situation in which a community united to make a change: Occupy Wall Street. A very big community in america called the 99% united with each other to make a change. Their unity made a big change. They changed a lot of people's views on money, politics and Wall Street. That is a perfect example of how Cicero's statement is true.

message 4: by Luca (last edited Feb 15, 2012 02:46PM) (new)

Luca | 13 comments I agree with this statement completely. If there was no community or groups there would be chaos. In fact there would be no government, no countries and no one would share common beliefs.

After world war two the United States of America and Europe created NATO so that nothing like the Nazis could ever happen again. They created a community to change the world for the better.

message 5: by Aren (new)

Aren Marfey | 13 comments I disagree with Cicero when he said " We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race" because a lot of communities are not formed by shared interests or hobbies. But I also agree because some communities are formed by shared interests and hobbies. But we all should be part of a community even if it does not share what you like all people should be apart in one.

A real life situation when a group of people want to make a change is when Obama said he would bring back troops from Iraq and he did with the help of everybody who voted for him. An example of a community breaking down is when the Nazis leader, Hitler died and the Nazis all broke up. Another example is when most bands break up the try to change the world with their music and when they break up it is kind of like a community splitting up.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 15, 2012 03:32PM) (new)

I agree because even in the Bible it says to "love our neighbor as ourselves." In a community if you display love, kindness, an care for everyone then you feel safe since the people around you tend to respond positively to good deeds. If they don't they can learn to do so from your example. If children grow up in a good community then they feel safe and they have no conflicts with the people around them. So that when they move out they can display the same ambiance wherever they go.

Of course everyone knows of the police officer Peter Figoski and how people in the community thought that it was so tragic. Well he wanted to retire but he wanted to keep on working so that his daughters can have money for college. Even though the father died the community decided the have funds so that the daughters can still go to college. This shows that the community cared for the family and that was why they did the funds. Even though this is not a goal to make change it is something that people want to keep going and hopefully to achieve.

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie G | 12 comments I agree with this statement because I think people should come together as a community, especially when he says his fellow men because if they did not work together as a community many people would die in wars and there would be fights because they wouldn't come together and get along with each other.

A real situation in which a community united to make change was during 9/11 everyone helped each other, people volunteered to help people that were in hospitals, others helped search for dead bodies, and the community came together to make a change by making our country safer.

message 8: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Z | 12 comments Cicero once said, "We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race." I agree with Cicero because if we join a community america and other countries will fall apart. If nobody works together many people would have been killed during a war. Everybody needs to work as a team. If a person can't work with another person they will probably die or get someone killed during a war.

A real situation in a community would be helping everybody who have lost friends, families, or neighbors during the 9/11 attacks. Around 3,000 people were killed. Many volunteer to go to NYC and clean up the mess searching for survivors, gathering dead bodies to identify them and report it to there families. Since that day more people are dying in Afghanistan fighting for their country.

message 9: by Ronnye (new)

Ronnye G | 13 comments I agree with this statement partly. I mean we where not necessarily born to just unit men, we where born for causes unknown and probably for just survival. But I agree with him in the fact that we should unite man in a community, because this brings us together and would stop many of the problems occurring in our world. My only problem is again where he states that man was born for this one cause. I mean that can't be what we are born for. We are not immortal it does not matter what we do in the present because it will always change in the future, so our duty cannot be to unite man.

A real situation in which a community united to make a change was during WWII. A handful of nations united to stop the Nazis from taking control of all of Europe and Africa. They ended up changing the coarse of the war and also advanced in technology. This war even helped America recover from its Depression when lots of factories opened in order to help in the war. With that said a destruction o a community would probably be when the KKK broke up because of the lack of members and also probably because they where getting killed and such.

Sebastianlikespie13 | 10 comments I agree with what Ciero said in his quote because we all live to be in a community so we can have someone out there for you and you can have a friend to have your back and be there when you need them. Without communities a lot of people would be lonely and wouldn't necessarily have someone to trust and have someone to interact with.

One situation in a community that united to make a change is the allied forces in World War two because a lot of countries united into one community motivated by one cause which was the end of Hitler's reign of terror and they shared the same goal which they were determined to end this and they succeeded which was a successful community working out.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Amaral | 7 comments Cicero once said, "We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race." I agree with Cicero because it means that we were meant to interact with each other and reach the same goals, even if the may be different. And the statement says that we are one big community, the human race, and that is true. In the end we are all in one big community.

A real situation that occurs is when we get people to sign petitions, and we try to make a the world a better place and many other things. We gather up an amount of people to make these things happen. Therefore, that is why i agree with this quote.

message 12: by Olivia (new)

Olivia | 10 comments I agree with Cicero's statement "We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race." I think that at some time in a person's life they should be apart or find a community and unite with friends and people that share the same general interests and hobbies and goals with you. But I do not think that if you are a part of a community, they have to have the exact same hobbies or interests as you because as people we are all different and you are never going to find someone that is exactly the same as you so there is never a certain community or group that you have to join because just as long a you have similar hobbies, interests and goals then things like looks and appearance or skin color do not matter.

A real situation in which people came together and formed a community that united to make a change was in the "Harry Potter" movie and book series, when the students and professors at "Hogwarts-the school of witchcraft and wizardry" came together and formed a community or 'joined forces with one another' to defeat the Dark Lord and make a change in their world. They came together to fight Voldemort and eventually made a change once he no longer was in power. Therefore, that is a situation in which people joined together and formed a community in order to make a change.

message 13: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Cicero once said, "We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race." I agree with what the statement because it's saying what the reason why people were born was to get along with each other not hurt each other. The quote is saying that when you are born it's your job to come together with mankind and help it.

I have witnessed a real life situation in a community when my buildings owners threw a Christmas party. The community ; which is a lot of building residents got together and celebrated a happy moment together. I think that this was a way for all of the residents to get to know each other and see that although we are all different we all live in the same way and we all might have something in common.

message 14: by Audie (new)

Audie Suydam | 6 comments Cicero once said "We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race." I agree with this statement because people in this world don't have it as good as we do, and we must not rub it into their faces, instead we must do our best so everyone has it great as we do by giving money, or helping our best by donating our time using community service. Of course, Cicero himself did not believe in this saying, for he didn't work with the Roman emperor, and believed he was scandalous, therefore, he had to be assasinated by the second trimunivirate.

To continue with the Romans, a breakdown in society was when Tiberius and his mother, Livia poisoned and killed everyone around them that could possibly be emperor. Augustus, the husband of Livia, slowly dying thanks to poisoned figs given to him by his wife, finally notices what Livia has done, but it is too late. The Romans had quite a lot of problems in their society, with a lot of assasinations if people in charge weren't up to par.

message 15: by Dylan T (new)

Dylan T (dylant) | 11 comments I agree with Ciero quote because it is saying you are to born to help people and you should help people. When you do that in a community it makes you community stronger. Also, it is saying that you should help your community out to. This is a reason that helping the community could be good. That is a example.

A breakdown with the community was when 9/11 happened. After it occured a lot for people were upset and devastated that is happened. Also, people were upset but they learned how to become stronger with eachother. They helped eachother being a better community. That showed why they were trying to become a better community.

message 16: by Guillar (new)

Guillar K. | 10 comments I agree with this quote because To be in a community you everybody has to be together. However you dont have to physically live in the same area to be together. You just have to want the same goals or to unite with other people who want the same goals and want to achieve them.

An example in which a community tried to reach a goal is how the gay community would strike and petition to reach the goal of allowing same sex marriage. A breakdown within the community is how the government and the church kept on disagreeing to there requirements. Even today some churches dont allow same sex marriages therefore, those couples can't get married there.

message 17: by Zizzo (new)

Zizzo | 7 comments I agree with this meaningful quote from Cicero. If we're ever going to survive in this country, even in this world, we have to work together. We'll only have peace if we work together. As Cicero said, "Unite with our fellow men." It's a very strong statement, and I completely agree with it.

An example of a community uniting to make change is occupy wall street. A large number of people in our country gathered together in various cities to protest against the misuse of power on wall street. Especially concerning banks that bought mortgage packages that caused many thousands of people to lose their homes in foreclosure.

message 18: by Rebecca (last edited Feb 15, 2012 05:52PM) (new)

Rebecca (beckyboo13) | 13 comments Cicero once stated, “We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race.” I agree with this statement because in other words it's saying, we are born to unite (have babies/ a realationship) with someone and in doing that it entails being in a community (the world) with the human race (people).

I don't know why but the first thing that comes to mind for a positive secenirio of a community working together Is an episode of George Lopez that I watched. In the episode, someone new moved into their community, and someone google searched her. The new neighbor happened to be a petifile. Angie decided to get the community together for a meeting at her house, about the petifile. The community then arranged to confront the petifile and tell her off. I think that was a great example of a community working together because it has two very important things, all communities must have: A GOAL to keep the neighborhood safe and a COMMON INTREST/ CONCERN about the petifile.

message 19: by Rebecca (last edited Feb 15, 2012 05:54PM) (new)

Rebecca (beckyboo13) | 13 comments Cicero once stated, “We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race.” I agree with this statement because in other words it's saying, we are born to unite (have babies/ a realationship) with someone and in doing that it entails being in a community (the world) with the human race (people).

I don't know why but the first thing that comes to mind for a positive scenario of a community working together is an episode of George Lopez that I watched. In the episode, someone new moved into their community, and someone google searched her. The new neighbor happened to be a petifile. Angie decided to get the community together for a meeting at her house, about the petifile. The community then arranged to confront the petifile and tell her off. I think that was a great example of a community working together because it has two very important things, all communities must have: A GOAL to keep the neighborhood safe and a COMMON INTREST/ CONCERN about the petifile.

message 20: by Alice (new)

Alice Chen | 12 comments Cicero once said, "We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race." I definitely agree with this quote. This quote is basically saying that us humans form communities and unite with everyone. We all find a way to be kind and help each other out. And although we may not all have the same interest as others, we are still very much alike.

An example would be from a TV show "Rizzoli & Isles" or "Castle". They share a common interest which is to catch killers from killing more innocent people. By doing this, they are helping others feel more safer living in a particular neighborhood. They are helping making a better community for everyone.

message 21: by Kameron (new)

Kameron Dixey | 6 comments Cicero once said, "We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race." I absolutely agree with this quote. It's saying that we were destined to unite with the other people and then go into a commuinty where you support, care after one or another.

I agree with the example that Alice has so I'll add on. In Rizzoli & Isles there was Boston Strangler Like 40 years later. He kept killing people and the all wanted to stop him. They figured out who it was and after Rizzoli beat him up with a baseball bat for taking her lover Dr.Isles hostage, they sent him off to jail. THey all had the common interested to catch the bad guy to make everyone's home safer.

message 22: by Aidan Farrell (last edited Feb 16, 2012 09:15PM) (new)

Aidan Farrell | 10 comments Cicero once said, "We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race." I agree with Cicero's quote. I think that this is a good quote because if all humans were to follow this one quote then there would be world peace. There would be no war or anything because if you unite then there will be no problems with each other. Think about all the wars Earth has had, they are all because a group of people do not like another group, but if there was no such thing as disagreeing only coming to a better solution then there would be world peace.

There are a lot of community breakdowns which cause big problems. One community breakdown would be with the Nazis. Because of all the economic pressure and poor leadership in Germany, the community was broken down. They were looking for a leader and a way to get Germany back to the power it once had. Because the community was broken down a very bad person Adolf Hitler was able to rise into power. Hitler started blaming Jews and others for all the problems in Germany especially the economy. The community broke down. Breakdowns happen when a community disagrees with one another. Hitler encouraged the disagreement and people wanted to believe his promise of Germany being strong again. They began doing the bad things Hitler wanted. What used to be a peaceful people, when the community brokedown, was changed into something that was very horrible.

message 23: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Hechkoff (sadiehechkoff) | 13 comments Cicero once said, "We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race." I agree with this statement. I agree with it because it makes a lot of sense to me. We were basically born to interact with people. To make family and friends and people you love. Life isn't any fun if your lonely! The way we get higher in life, and stronger, is by interacting with people and loving them.

A situation in which a community united to make a change is, like many others said, occupy wall street. Everyone kind of came together to fight for a cause that they though was right. A whole community of people all kind of fought back as a community, and had the same outlook on the situation.

message 24: by Cody (last edited Feb 25, 2012 11:08AM) (new)

Cody Long | 9 comments Cicero once said, "We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race." Well I would agree with this statement because most people have husbands and wives. Then they would have kids and their own kids would have another family. So that means that same cycle is going to be happening for a while. It’s like a family tree where it just keeps on happening and happening so this is why I agree with the statement.

Well there are many communities who have problems and issues like in the show and book called PYSCH where there is a man named Shawn who is all alone and he wants to reunite with his best friend Gus. The problem though is Gus is the president of Benson Pharmaceutical so Gus does not want to go back into the PYSCH business. At the end though Gus does come back to the PYSCH business because of a crime that Shawn has solved dealing with the Benson Pharmaceutical. You are going to need to read the book to find out what happened in the Pharmaceutical business.