Yoga Folks discussion

General discussions about yoga > A little of this and a little of that.....

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Hi, Yogafolks! Every once in a while I would like to post something meaningful, have a question about a certain topic, etc. but can't find a proper thread. I know Goodreads is about books, but I thought it might be nice to have a place where we can come and post ideas, questions, thoughts, news on meditation and yoga, etc.

There is going to be a seminar held locally on the topic of "Tantra: A Foundation For Practice." I know nothing about this topic, and I am wondering if it's worth my while.

Here is a short description of the seminar:

"Why tantra is relevant in today’s world and what it has to offer you
The tantric worldview and the purpose of tantric practices
Key concepts: prana shakti, apurva, kundalini, karmashaya, and more • The role of prana shakti and kundalini shakti
Practical practices for working with kundalini awakening
Techniques to enhance prana dharana and other Living Tantra practices
Refining your hatha practice to facilitate pranic awareness
Gaining access to the manipura and ajna chakras—why and how
Understanding rituals and their relationship to the forces of nurturance
Understanding the relationship of rituals to yoga practices such as meditation and asana"

Just the description makes me say, "what?" lol!
Pardon my ignorance. I know nothing about those words mentioned. Any thoughts on this topic? I wonder if it's a little above me. I have a VERY simple practice at home. :)

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin Smith | 42 comments I hear you lol. I don't practice much in the way of Tantric Yoga myself, so honestly there are some points there I don't get. But it doesn't read like it's going to be a pose-centered seminar. Both the manipura and ajna chakras relate to the will, manipura being located at the solar plexus and the ajna being your third eye. If they're talking about kundalini awakening and prana it sounds more like they're working with spiritual energy, but there is mention of how asanas assist in this process, so I assume you'll be working on your mat part of the time. For some of the words you could go to yogajournal.com--I think I remember them having a Sanskrit glossary there somewhere. Maybe that would give you some insight. Tantric yoga is largely associated in people's minds with sex, although there are plenty of Tantric Yoga classes that do the same poses as any other class. It's more of a mind-body-spirit connection that's sought. It might be a fascinating seminar for you, or it might fly miles over your head lol, or it might be an introduction to a world that's wonderful even if you don't follow everything this first time. If you go, give us a report!

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Robin wrote: "I hear you lol. I don't practice much in the way of Tantric Yoga myself, so honestly there are some points there I don't get. But it doesn't read like it's going to be a pose-centered seminar. Both..."

Robin, thank you so much for the great response! After I posted this, I did look up some of the words. I will also check out Yoga Journal. Good suggestion. Oh, what the heck, the seminar is close to home and it's paid for. The ashram where this seminar is being held had a yearly "special." For $299, you get to attend certain seminars for the whole year. It was my Christmas gift to myself. :) Since I have nothing to lose, I think I will go. Knowledge is power, lol! I'll let you know how it goes. :)

message 4: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (meryldavidslandau) | 804 comments Mod
Julie--good for you for signing up. Like Robin, it sounds like it's much more about connecting to your spiritual energy than doing physical poses. If this seminar were near me, and free, I'd sign up for sure. When does it take place? Do be sure to give us a report on what you learn and how it strikes you. And maybe you'll meet that new best friend there!

Meryl Davids Landau

message 5: by Matagiri (new)

Matagiri | 25 comments I agree. Go.... but watch out for fakes and cons in the audience. That's because some people are attracted to the term "tantra" for all the wrong reasons. However, the description given sounds OK. Meryl's right, tantra is about connecting to spiritual energy.

Let me share what Ma Jaya says, in her book The 11 Karmic Spaces: "You also hear the word tantra a lot, like it's some kind of sex yoga. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the idea has been distorted and misused. True tantra is the merge of the human and divine, not the sexual union of man and woman." You'll probably do a lot of visualization, meditating, and pranayama, more than "pose yoga."

On the other hand, there is Kali Natha Tantric Yoga (Ma Jaya again -- she's still developing it) which is a physical yoga with lots of spiritual elements. You can find out more about it at http://www.kashi.org/yoga/kali-natha-...
As proof, I am enrolled in the advanced KNTY teacher training, even at the age of 67 and being overweight. I can do the poses, mostly, but there's a lot more to it. Enjoy the retreat!

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Robin, Meryl, and Matagiri, thank you so much for your feedback, resources, and links! The seminar started tonight, but unfortunately, my Crohn's disease decided that we had better plans for tonight, lol! I believe the seminar will be held again this year. :)

message 7: by Meryl (new)

Julie,

So sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Hope you're better today. ("In radiant health," as Lorna says, lol.)

Glad to hear they'll offer the workshop again; I think you will enjoy it--plus I'm eager to learn from you what it is about :)

message 8: by Julie (last edited Feb 19, 2012 04:11AM) (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Thanks, Meryl! I am much better today. :) I believe it will be held again in August. If anyone is interested, here is the link to the "$299 All-Access Pass" that I treated myself to. It lists the seminars that are included. Some I am interested in, others I am not. I would be more than happy to post info on the seminars I am able to go to! :) They are offering 12 seminars, but it looks like more when you visit the website because many are repeated throughout the year.

www.himalayaninstitute.org/workshops-...

message 9: by Matagiri (new)

Matagiri | 25 comments Julie, you are very fortunate to be so close to the Himalayan Institute. They are "the real deal," with a pretty traditional Hinduism-based attitude and teaching, which I would trust more than somebody who just opened up a "new age" studio yesterday, especially if you have health issues. (200 hour certified yoga teachers are a dime a dozen, which I can get away with saying because I am one.) You might find someone there who could help you with your Crohn's. I see a couple of workshops about Aryuveda. Or else, there are probably a lot of other natural healing modalities that you could locate through the staff at Himalayan.

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Matagiri wrote: "Julie, you are very fortunate to be so close to the Himalayan Institute. They are "the real deal," with a pretty traditional Hinduism-based attitude and teaching, which I would trust more than some..."

Matagiri, thank you so much for your reply and insight. Aryuveda seems fascinating. I believe the courses they are offering are for teachers only. They do have consultations for health problems, but it starts at $225 per consultation. I'm thinking of saving some money to do just that. :)

I feel very fortunate to have the Himalayan so close to my home, and plan on spending some time there this year for their workshops.

Thank you again for your insightful post!

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Matagiri wrote: "I agree. Go.... but watch out for fakes and cons in the audience. That's because some people are attracted to the term "tantra" for all the wrong reasons. However, the description given sounds OK. ..."

Matagiri, I just visited the website you provided, and it looks wonderful. I have never heard of Ma Jaya before. I see on her website that she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, which saddens me. My mom died in June of that horrific disease. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family/community.

message 12: by Matagiri (new)

Matagiri | 25 comments Thank you for your concern, and I'm sorry about your mom. I know the statistics are against us, but Ma has never been one to give up, and she says she will beat it. So, we're trying to stay positive, visualize light around her, etc.
I think there's a special mantra of protection for Ma Jaya, posted on the website -- join us if you feel to, it's Om Dum Durgayei Namaha
(Dum is pronounced like Doom, it's a seed sound of protection, and the emphasis falls on the second syllable in Durgayei, aka the goddess Durga.) I think I saw a mantra class on the Himalayan website....

message 13: by Matagiri (new)

Matagiri | 25 comments I just set up Ma's book on the giveaway list.... for alert "Yoga Folks."

message 14: by Danie (new)

Danie (wandernwoman) | 28 comments Hello All,

I have an asana question for all of my fellow yoginis, and this seemed like the place to post it.

I need a pose that will help alleviate pressure on the head and spine, any ideas?

I have a brain malformation (Chiari, if anyone wants to look it up) that causes liquid to pool inside my skull, instead of draining as it should. It also causes pain in my neck and at the base of my skull. This is one of the reasons I had to stop attending regular yoga classes :o(

Anywho, is there anything anyone can think of that might help at all? I currently do not have health insurance that will treat pre-existing illnesses, so I'm kinda stuck with just dealing on my own. So if there is anything that you have found that helped relax you, relieve tension, whatever please pass it on.

Thanks for listening!
Danie

message 15: by Meryl (new)

Danie wrote: "Hello All,

I have an asana question for all of my fellow yoginis, and this seemed like the place to post it.

I need a pose that will help alleviate pressure on the head and spine, any ideas..."

Hi Danie:

Thanks for reaching out to members of this group! So sorry again to hear about your health situation.

I think you're right to think that relaxation poses are especially helpful for any medical condition. I believe when the cells of the body are relaxed, they refresh themselves and can best do their own healing. Maybe consider doing a long deep relaxation session as often as you can?

I'm certainly not a medical professional, so would hate to give you other advice regarding poses, but anything that relaxes your neck while still feeling good would also be something to consider.

Let us know going forward how the yoga is helping you (or not).

Love & light-
Meryl Davids Landau

message 16: by Jenene (new)

Jenene Hi Danie-
I recommend checking this DVD out:
Yoga for Stress Relief (2006) by Barbara Benagh

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ICLRKW/?...

In it she has a series of yoga sections for people with injuries and different problems - these are the different sections (from one of the reviews- since the list is so long!):

A breakdown of the DVD is listed below. The headings are the items found on the main menu, and the bullets indicate submenu items. The times for each practice are given as they appear on-screen, but I've added times in parentheses based on my own review. I've included brief descriptions of each individual practice.

Discussion of Meditation by HH The Dalai Lama (35)
Interview with Barbara (22)

Beginning and Ending Your Day
* Begin Your Day Slowly, 25m (24.5) - starts slowly on the floor and gradually moves into more active postures, including sun salutations
* Wake Up! 60m (58) - nice, slow flow combining seated breath work, sun salutation/standing postures, and seated forward bends
* Evening Revival, 40m (35.5) - starts in child's pose and moves on to standing postures and then shoulder/back stretches on the floor
* Letting Go of the Day, 40m (37) - a series of floor and restorative postures, including reclined cobbler's, supported child's pose, and seated forward bends/twists
* Insomnia Series, 35m (36) - relaxing postures to help prepare for sleep; starts with simple standing poses and moves on to seated forward bends, supported cobbler's and child's pose, and legs-up-the-wall

Neck, Shoulder, and Back Issues
* Easing Neck & Shoulder Tension, passive, 20m (19) - a series of reclined postures allowing passive relaxation of the neck and shoulders
* Easing Neck & Shoulder Tension, active, extended, 30m (29) - more active stretches of the neck, shoulders, and upper back from both seated and standing positions; ends with legs-up-the-wall
* Lower Back Tension, 35m (35.5) - reclined and prone postures to open up the back
* Hip Pain (SI Joint), 25m (36) - a series of gentle hip-opening postures including reclined leg stretch, open half lotus, and prone postures
* Tension Headaches, 45m (44) - a combination of sequences from both the passive and the active neck and shoulders segments above; ends with legs-up-the-wall plus a lengthy relaxation

Easing Your Mind
* Breathing Exercises to Calm the Mind, 15m (15) - a slowly moving series of different breathing techniques while lying
* Restorative Poses for Relaxation, 15m (13.5) - three simple postures to facilitate deep relaxation (supported cobbler's, heart opener, legs-up-the-wall)
* Deep Rest, 20m (18) - reclined breathing combined with a lengthy relaxation segment
* Mood Uplift, 30m (32.5) - offers a combination of calming and more active postures, starting with standing postures and moving to supported bridge and supported heart opener
* Serenity in Stillness, 35m (40.5) - combines elements of the digestive, hips, and neck practices; my favorite so far, especially with the supported bridge
* Anxiety Relief, 50m (40) - focuses largely on breathwork to calm the mind; also includes prone poses, reclined twist, and supportive postures

Stomach and Digestion Issues
* Constipation, 25m (27) - gentle prone postures to stimulate the stomach combined with standing and seated twists
* Improve Digestion, 30m (28.5) - sun salutations plus standing and seated twists; ends with half shoulderstand
* IBS, 30m (26.5) - starts with reclined breathwork and moves on to seated forward bends; ends with half shoulderstand and legs-up-the-wall
* Diarrhea & Indigestion, 30m (25) - nice series of gentle supported postures to open the upper back and release the stomach, ending with supported bridge and legs-up-the-wall; another favorite!

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Jenene wrote: "Hi Danie-
I recommend checking this DVD out:
Yoga for Stress Relief (2006) by Barbara Benagh

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ICLRKW/?......"

Jenene, I saw Danie's post yesterday, but didn't reply because I had no answer for her. The DVD recommendation you gave looks wonderful! I might have to get it for myself. It seems to offer so much! Thanks for the link.

message 18: by Danie (new)

Danie (wandernwoman) | 28 comments Ladies,

Thanks so so much for your help :0) I understand being unsure about this, I am too. All I know is I hurt, and I can't afford brain surgery. More importantly, do I even want to do something so drastic if I can find ways to relieve the symptoms? It's not an easy question, and I've learned to take everything as trial and error, some things work and others do not.

Thanks again, and I will check out that DVD. It sounds amazing!

message 19: by Matagiri (new)

Matagiri | 25 comments Danie,
Here's a cure-all from the Egoscue system (a posture & physical therapy program.)
Lie flat on the floor, and put your feet up on a chair or coffee table. Your thighs should be vertical, your knees at a 90 degree angle, and your legs from the knees down resting on the table or whatever. And just lie there, and breathe gently, and let your back flatten to the floor as much as it naturally will. Stay there a while, maybe a long while.
I promise, this seems too simple, but it works. It is the first exercise in every Egoscue program. (If you have some spare cash, see if there's an Egoscue center near you. Not cheap, but cheaper than surgery. They get a lot of clients who are considering surgery, and they fix them instead. I did it, and so did several people I know, at the West Palm Beach office, with results ranging from good to miraculous.) Or, there's a book and DVD for do it yourself. The book is called Pain Free, by Joe Egoscue.