The Reasons Why you wrote your book or books discussion

Book Title Choices > Book Title Choices

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Steven, About The Author (new)

Steven | 65 comments Mod
Guys, looking through the many posts and reasons why you wrote your books, does at times amaze me. However, I'm now curious as to how each of you came up with your book titles. Some of them are very eye catching.

My first book title, "Amongst The Marines" was named that because that's literally what its all about. i.e. My life amongst the Marines.

My second book title "Always A Marine" is a little bit different, as it actually came from a sentence that somebody said to me, after which I just knew it was the title for my second book and I also knew my journey at that stage of my life was over.

So, what about your book titles?

Best Regards

Steve

message 2: by Kathy-Diane (last edited Dec 02, 2008 07:57AM) (new)

Kathy-Diane It is always so interesting to hear how an author ends up with a title for a book, isn't it? My publisher came up with "Let the Shadows Fall Behind You." It refers to a verse the protagonist, Brannagh, and her friends recite at a reunion of their childhood all-girls club. These friends ultimately help Brannagh let go of the past that has been haunting her. Even though this is a suspense novel with a disappearance and murder to solve, ultimately it is a story about the power of female friendship. At least that's my feeling. I'll see what my readers have to say when it's released in the spring!

Best
Kathy-Diane
http://kathy-dianeleveille.com

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth My book titles are also the core of the stories, they come first. They come to me in dreams.

www.ElizabethEaganCox.net

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric | 2 comments My short stories and satires arrive at their own titles. "The Last Adventure of the Blue Phantom," which appeared in McSweeney's 24, had a title first and the story grew out of it: a small boy asks an intruder in his house if he's the Blue Phantom and the intruder answers "Yes." "Midnight" (McSweeney's 15) takes its title from the last line.

A Book of Ages (Harmony, 2008) tells what a hundred or so famous people did at various years of age, so I wanted Age to be part of the title somehow. The organizing principle is simple, but hard to explain in a short phrase. It's a perfect birthday book but it isn't really about birthdays. And it isn't just a scorecard of achievements, it's funnier than that, more ironic and more profound than a simple book of facts. It's a collection of anecdotes that organize themselves into a story about how our lives unfold.

message 5: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 2 comments I get titles often come to me first, from a play on the words of a common phrase or something. My second book title is like that, A Warrior Made, based on the phrase 'a warrior born', which my hero most emphatically was not. The title of the first book, Unbinding the Stone, came to me at the end, from a scene in which he sees what appears to be a stone wrapped in vines all knotted together. The alternate title of that book was Hero Ascendant, which isn't as good. My short story titles, 'Bite Deep', 'Off the Map', 'Ex Libris', 'Chasing His Own Tale', 'Boys Will Be Boys', and my current SSIP, 'None So Blind', usually come to me as I'm coming up with the idea for a story, and often give it shape.

message 6: by Minnie (new)

Minnie (minnieestelle) I think my computer is cold because I had difficulty getting to this screen--its 4 degrees in Chicago!

Anyway...I came up with my title as soon as I started writing The Seduction of Mr. Bradley. I knew the theme when I set out to write. Many folks said I couldn't write a love story about a bisexual. Of course, I disagreed. The novel dropped 12/29/06. I knew Mr. Bradley was going to be seduced because the female in the story just would not cooperate. Bill Bradley kept taking over and I went with his flow; it's in Bill's voice. He was seduced a couple of times. But don't feel sorry for Bill. Yeah, his world was rocked but he enjoyed the ride.

And for nonbelievers, stuff happens.

Season's Greetings to all.

www.millerscribs.com

message 7: by Jeri (new)

Jeri  Studebaker (jeri_studebaker) | 3 comments Great question, Steve. Thanks for asking it.

When my publisher John Hunt first approached me about writing my book, he right away suggested the title "Switching to Goddess". Later I worked for days on a title. I had a word other than "Switching" as the first word, I forget what it was now.

When he saw my title, however, John again said he liked the word "Switching." I wasn't so sure, because of the other meanings suggested by the word (punishment, witch).

But I went with it anyway -- afterall, I thought, John's had a lot more experience selling books than I have. Actually, many of the buyers of my book will be people practising modern witchcraft, so that part of it works out nicely.

message 8: by Tymber (last edited Dec 21, 2008 09:02AM) (new)

Tymber Dalton (tymberdalton) Well, usually I have a working title in mind when I'm writing. "Love Slave for Two" actually started as "Slave for Two," then the publisher recommended the change. Frankly, I agree it's a better choice.

"Love at First Bight" is both a pun (the ship's name is the Tamora Bight) and a subtle hint at what happens in the course of the story.

"Out of the Darkness" (written as Lesli Richardson) is both literal and metaphorical for what happens in the book and to the characters (paranormal thriller).

"Love and Brimstone" (vampire romance written as Lesli Richardson) was a slightly cheeky pun of "Love and Marriage" and "Fire and Brimstone" because much of the action takes place in Yellowstone National Park (stuff the geysers puts out is called "brimstone"). (That's the first in a series, all of which will have "Brimstone" in the title. The second, "Brimstone Blues," is in edits right now.)

My "Good Will Ghost Hunting" series (paranormal romance/demons, as Lesli Richardson) will start out with "Good Will Ghost Hunting: Demon Seed." They will all have GWGH in them, the second is "Hell's Bells" (there's a wedding), "Hell Hath No Fury," etc.

"Domme by Default" and "The Reluctant Dom" are both pretty self-evident (those are future releases by Lyrical Press).

"Doggy Style" and "Dog Walk" are slightly punny titles for two shapeshifter shorts (as Lesli Richardson) I have coming in January from Amira Press.

...and on and on. *LOL*

I have one work in progress, a mystery (a la Carl Hiaason or Tim Dorsey in tone) that came about as a twist on a dialog snippet, "Attack of the Dalai Lama." One character says, "Why did you say you were being attacked by the Dalai Lama?" and the other yells back, "I was being attacked by a llama named Dolly!" *LOL*

One that did throw me was "Cross Country Chaos" (coming in March from BookStrand, as Lesli Richardson). It's inspired by a few real events, and it involves a cross country drive from Florida to Spokane, WA. *LOL* And frankly, I couldn't think of a better title, so that's the working title I stuck with. When BookStrand accepted it, they loved the title even though I told them to feel free to suggest anything better. So in that case, I guess I lucked out. *LOL*

Tymber Dalton (aka Lesli Richardson).

message 9: by Mike L (new)

Mike L Lane (mikellane) | 2 comments I feel that a book title should give a strong suggestion as to what the book is about, but also add some intrigue and force the reader to wonder exactly "what does that mean?" My book, Emails From '66, hopefully does just that! I had a great working idea for a novel loosely based around the idea of someone receiving eails from the past (especially from a time when emails didn't exist) and stumbled onto a huge conspiracy theory along the way. Everything just kind of fell into place from there, so the title stuck.

message 10: by Author (new)

Author (KilltheMessengerGemini) | 4 comments I can barely remember why I chose the title "Kill the Messenger: Gemini" but later I realized that Gemini stuck in my head from seeing Gemini Auto Care everyday while riding the bus.

message 11: by Mike L (new)

Mike L Lane (mikellane) | 2 comments Johanna wrote: "I can barely remember why I chose the title "Kill the Messenger: Gemini" but later I realized that Gemini stuck in my head from seeing Gemini Auto Care everyday while riding the bus."

LOL! That's awesome. Funny how random things have a tendency to influence writing.

message 12: by Author (new)

Author (KilltheMessengerGemini) | 4 comments LOL

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 3 comments I'm usually pretty good with titles for my magazine articles and books. (My newspaper articles and reviews are decided by others.) But I got too obscure with my latest book on romantic comedies. My working title was "The Right Kind of People" which is a line from "My Man Godfrey" ("All you need for an asylum is four walls and the right kind of people.") but my publisher said they were going to call it "I'll Have What She's Having."

I instantly agreed, provided I could use my "Godfrey" quote to introduce one of the sections, which I did. Everyone, including my own mother, said the publisher's title was much better. :)

message 14: by Ed (last edited Jan 11, 2009 07:54AM) (new)

Ed Ditto (gratefuled) | 3 comments I don't get too caught up in titles, to be honest. I try to come up with something gripping and appropriate, but I don't agonize over it because I don't have ultimate control over it. What's within the cover is the author's; what's on the cover is the publisher's...and the publisher is going to have her own way.

Ed

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Boyer (barbara_boyer) | 7 comments In my novel, Courage of Fear, one of the characters, Culann, tells a story about a hanging in Dooley's Pub in Northern Ireland. Here he tells the story of Courage of Fear. However, I named the title such before Culann told his story because I have seen what happens in folks lives when they engage courage over fear and in turn, when fear dominates over courage. I wanted folks to acknowledge their choice for themself. Give them enough to hook them in, yet not enough to take away their own imagination of context.

message 16: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 14 comments The title of my book, "The Accidental Secretary" took a while before that became the final title. I had several "working titles" first. My first couple of titles I was told were too long. My book almost became "Legal Secretary's Survival Guide." But then I was told that some people might exactly think it is a "guide" and not the memoir that it is. Then one night before going to sleep, which is usually when my brain comes up with ideas instead of letting me sleep, I thought of "The Accidental Secretary," and that became my title. My memoir centers on my life as a legal secretary through numerous jobs and places that I lived. I never planned to work for attorneys, and just fell into it by accident, really. So, thus, my title. On that note, I do believe that when you are writing a book, an article, a short story, it is okay to start off with a "working title" and feel free to change your title later on if something more appropriate comes up.

message 17: by Ed (new)

Ed Ditto (gratefuled) | 3 comments ...of course, back when I was writing my first novel I was sore tempted to name it "Polishing a Turd."

Ed

message 18: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Sagan (diannes) I formulate a story idea in my head first and then have a working title. As I write and it fully develops, I sometimes change the title for something that fits better. My first publishing credits were as an op-ed writer in a regional newspaper. I never chose the titles. I think that publishers know the market better than I do and trust them for a title. I don't get invested in my own title. If they decide to use it like my publisher for Rebekah Redeemed, that's great, but I'm fine with them deciding.

message 19: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 14 comments Dianne. I self-published my book so that is why I needed to come up with my own title. However, I don't know if I agree that "publishers know the market better than (you) do." I think sometimes publishers may not even know what your book is even about, since ironically many publishers do not read books. They hire editors to read the book. So, keep in mind that if you do not like a title given to you by your publisher to be sure to put in your input. If you like the title, then that's fine, but never think that publishers necessarily know what is best for you, your story, and what is marketable. Call me a cynical, but I firmly believe that.

message 20: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Sagan (diannes) Marsha wrote: "Dianne. I self-published my book so that is why I needed to come up with my own title. However, I don't know if I agree that "publishers know the market better than (you) do." I think sometimes p..."

Marsha,
Thanks for the comments. I'll keep them in mind.

message 21: by Shane (new)

Shane Moore Marsha. Your statement reflects your general ignorance (NOT an insult) of this industry.

First, unless you started your own publishing company, you are NOT self published. If you paid a company to make your work then you are printed through a VANITY press.

Based from your comment, you are vain in your belief that you know more than companies that operate in a billion dollar industry.

For example-have you researched what it takes to get into a real bookstore? Do you know the standard return policies? Do you know about distributors and their policies? Do you have a degree in marketing and understand the psychological factors that are included in cover choice? From color-to character placement-to title.

I am not insulting you. I am merely trying to point out something that you have overlooked in a professional arena. I applaud your "can do" attitude. But, you are sorely undereducated and I fear you will have nothing but disappoint with your current strategy. Feel free to question me if you like. I made the MISTAKE of going with a vanity press and it nearly ended my writing career before it started.

"Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity."

~Shane

message 22: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 14 comments Thanks for your comments, Shane. No, I did not use a vanity press. I self-published using a print-on-demand company. I have all rights, so I am the publisher and the writer. I did also the editing and paid editors as well to read my book and check for mistakes, clarity, etc. I agree that it would not be a good idea to go with a vanity press. They are very expensive and they do not do any marketing for a writer and you cannot hold the rights. For definitions, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_on... and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_p....

I just think that it is important not to think that a publisher necessarily knows everything that is right for the writer. If you do not like the title that they give your book or the cover design or even the typeset used in your book, you should be allowed to have input.

I have met many writers who have been very disappointed in publishers who thought that they knew best for a writer. For instance, at my local writers’ group, South Bay Writers Club, a black woman spoke about a book she wrote about her experience with tennis. Since it is mostly an all-white sport, her publisher put a white woman playing tennis on the cover of her book since she thought it would sell better. Maybe it did, maybe it didn’t, but the writer told us she was upset since it was misleading. The whole point of her book was her experience as a black woman playing tennis.

I agree that marketing is important, but I know I wouldn’t want someone ruining the cover or title of my book, because they thought it was best.

message 23: by Shane (new)

Shane Moore I guess that is where we disagree. The whole purpose of a book cover is to get the potential reader to pick it up. The back portion and blurb have one purpose and that is to get the potential reader to open it up.

Once inside, that is where we as writers come in. Our hook has to be good enough to convince the potential reader that they want to spend an hour's wage on our work.

If we are trying to make a cover to perform any other purpose, then we are failing. A friend of mine (Matt Stover) has a great novel that falls into this problem. "Iron Dawn." If you read the story and then look at the cover you will see what I mean.

I cannot speak for your friends work, or their publisher. Though, from your description of the event, it sounds erroneous on the publisher's part. This should have been addressed in her galley copy before it went to print. I do not see how a marketing department could have made this blunder unless they had never read the work. Such as a scam publisher such as Author House or Publish America.

Thanks for replying!

~Shane

message 24: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 14 comments I never heard of Publish America, but Author House is a print on demand company, so the writer has control over their own cover. Yes, that was my point, where you said that you "do not see how a marketing department could have made (a) blunder unless they had never read the work." This is my whole point that many times publishers do not read the book. In any case, I think a cover and title are very important, just as important as you pointed out is the writing in the book. I do agree that the blurb on the back of the book is important too. The entire package is important. Just like in dating, if you meet someone and you are not attracted to them, or find them interesting, then you are not going to go out with them again. If I see a book and it doesn't look interesting to me, I'm not going to spend my time or money to read it.

message 25: by Shane (new)

Shane Moore I have never heard of a real publisher never reading a book. You are misinformed.They ALWAYS read any work they are about to spend thousands of dollars on!

It sounds to me that your understanding of this industry is based on scam publishers that are interested in selling the author their own work instead of making a viable product for the book buying public.

Author House is a vanity press. They are a scam publisher that produce substandard books. NO Author house title will ever make it to a major retailer for a million reasons! They have no interest in selling their work to anyone but the writer. That is their customer base. I strongly urge you to research this industry and the publication process. You are in danger of ruining your writing career before it even begins. I give lectures at high schools and colleges on the dangers of vanity printing all the time.

PLEASE, look into this before you ruin your reputation and career before it even has a chance to start.

~Shane

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) Dead on arrival was called that because the body was dead when it arrived pretty straight forward I thought--People keep asking if it has anything to do with airlines or the hospital.

My work in progress is Dead Comic standing. __Murder in the stand-up comedy world.

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) Shane wrote: "I have never heard of a real publisher never reading a book. You are misinformed.They ALWAYS read any work they are about to spend thousands of dollars on!

It sounds to me that your understandi..."

I found out that about Trafford too they want the authors money and I dont think I'll get much ww distribution unless I repub else where.
I decided to go with the beg and grovel method of getting work published.

message 28: by Shane (new)

Shane Moore Anyone interested in the publishing industry should feel free to message me on my myspace page.
http://www.myspace.com/shanemoore50

Or just google "Shane Moore."

I give seminars on the dangers and pitfalls of the publishing industry and will answer a few questions any aspiring writers would like to know.

~Shane

message 29: by Collin (new)

Collin Kelley | 1 comments My three books of poetry (Slow To Burn, Better To Travel and After the Poison) are all musically-inspired. Slow To Burn is the name of Vanessa Daou's second album of jazz/trip-hop; Better To Travel was inspired by the UK band Swing Out Sister; and After the Poison is a take on Marianne Faithfull's "Before the Poison." My novel "Conquering Venus" coming out this fall has always had that title, inspired by seeing Venus de Milo for the first time in the Louvre. I always have music on when I'm writing and it's been a constant source of inspiration since I became a writer.

message 30: by Yoby (new)

Yoby (yobs) | 5 comments Steven wrote: "Guys, looking through the many posts and reasons why you wrote your books, does at times amaze me. However, I'm now curious as to how each of you came up with your book titles. Some of them are ver..."I chose "Stories From The Lost And Found" because of Faulkner having a letter lost inone bookand showing up in another.. So I write short stories about people that ar einterlocking, all based on the plains of Texas where you can have so many relatives you almost make up your own
county. Right now the working titles are off of books I I admired or just found the title interesting - TheLife You Save May Be Your Own, Stron For Potatoes, A Light In August (in August on the plains of Texas the sun has baked so hot it is just brownh everywhere you see) -

the titles will change of course. but it does keep me going. I find that I stack books beside me while I'm writing and never open them. Just looking at the titles tell me what I am thinking about for my writing, and that sets me off on another writing spree instead of feeling blocked and constipated.

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) now there is an intertesting method
to hold off writers constipation

message 32: by S.I.R. (new)

S.I.R. Pierre (ShairanXIII) | 4 comments Shane wrote: "Anyone interested in the publishing industry should feel free to message me on my myspace page.

I give seminars on the dangers a..."

there was however a recent Time article on self-publishing becoming a new entry point into the industry... http://www.time.com/time/magazine/art...

and http://www.time.com/time/magazine/art...

now... your assertions against self-publishing seem harsh... especially considering the publishing climate... everyone is loosing money and if a writer can develop their own ideas and market and distribute them... publishing houses respect that...

AND... there are companies that produce professional quality books... my title... Listen... Volume 1: death... was published through createspace, which is an amazon subsidiary...

i chose to self-publish... because i wanted to maintain my vision and the integrety of my work...

my point being Shane... do not assert yourself as an authority on an industry that is swiftly realizing that old methodologies are loosing them customers... the industry is dynamic and i think self publishing through reputable companies democratizes the process...

message 33: by S.I.R. (new)

S.I.R. Pierre (ShairanXIII) | 4 comments almost forgot to reply to the title of the post... I chose Listen... because its the translation of the openning lines of the song "Respiration", which is about the city breating...

message 34: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 51 comments S.i.r. wrote: "Shane wrote: "Anyone interested in the publishing industry should feel free to message me on my myspace page.

I give semina..."

S.i.r.
I have never visited this site before and was a little surprised at the tone of Shane's comments. I'm new to this business and have a great relationship with my publisher who is a "on demand" company. I am very, very pleased with how they produced my book and everything associated with this has been wonderful. I'm not "in it" for the fame or the money. I love to write and wrote my book as a conversation for my children to have when I'm long gone. The art work provided by the publisher is exactly what I would have chosen and actually I did agree and choose it. The world is changing. The economy will probably never be what it was before this last crash...at least not in my lifetime. I'm sorry that Shane has such a negative opinion about alternative ways to publish. I have absolutely no out of pocket expenses and have already received my first royalty check. It won't replace my 40 hr a week job but it is more than I had before I wrote my book. The bitter and know more than anyone else tone I think is what prompted me to respond. Life is too short to be so blunt and I hope that whatever prompted his tirade has left his system and won't return.
Believe it or not my book is titled Southern Comfort and it is exactly the title to fit my short stories. The link between each story is comfort...Southern style.

I did speak to someone very knowledgable about the publishing business. Marshall Goldsmith has been a friend since 7th grade...Shane, maybe you have heard of him?

message 35: by S.I.R. (new)

S.I.R. Pierre (ShairanXIII) | 4 comments JC,

you're right... i just find it absurd that people would still in 2009 harp on self publishing like this is 1996 and people are publishing through kinkos or xerox...

on a lighter note... what is the title of your book? do you have a blog or website where I can check it out?

message 36: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 51 comments S.I. R.
too old to blog...still learning...I do have a website thanks to my nephew/ it pays to have kids in more ways than one! website is still minimal but at least I've got it... www.Southerncomfort.vpweb.com. The Book is Southern Comfort by Joyce Finch Brown. It's a collection of short stories about my life in the South and my somewhat crazy family. I'll get better with each book but I'm proud of my first. Never, ever expected to have it printed! I would have paid to print it at Kinko's just to give to friends and family but thank goodness the publisher paid me instead. Publisher is one that you don't like (Publish America) but honestly this has been nothing but positive for me. I have spoken to creative writing classes here at the high schools, at University of Arkansas here in Fayetteville, am now listed on Google and for me that is a very, very big deal!I have been featured in our state wide newspaper (back page of Sunday first section) and will be in the May copy of SEAlife (South East Arkansas life) magazine. I am taking advantage of every free way to advertise. I have 3 book clubs lined up for me to be the guest speaker. I don't mind one bit being the one to promote my book. I even have a personal link to Oprah via a friend of the family so who knows what that will bring.The friend loved the book and asked for a copy to personally give to Oprah. Cross your fingers...
I'm just a almost 60 year old grandmother of 2 who loves to chat via a keyboard. I have gotten positive feedback from everyone involved...even my ex husband...he's in the book but I did treat him gently. I did check with a friend, Marshall Goldsmith who is published many, many times and one of the best selling authors on Amazon, before I signed with Publish America. he said for my first time out they were a good publisher and I agree.

message 37: by Don (last edited Apr 30, 2009 11:55PM) (new)

Don Inman (doninmanauthor) | 4 comments My book title Disappearance came about because I wanted it to be connected to the plot of the story. But also have some suspense and to have the reader wonder, what does the title really mean? And with the title Disappearance, the story plot is truly apart of the title of the book.

"Disappearance is a story about a family's strange disappearance. And a father's race against time to try and save them. But Mike Banner encounters obstacles and dangers of overwelming odds, but he must fight them and find a way to survive.

Look up Disappearance by Don Inman, and you can read more of the excerpt about this book.

message 38: by Minnie (new)

Minnie (minnieestelle) Don, your novel sounds exciting. I love a good mystery. Will check it out on amazon.

message 39: by Don (last edited May 01, 2009 12:55PM) (new)

Don Inman (doninmanauthor) | 4 comments Hi, Minnie
Thanks for the interest in my novel, I hope you enjoy it. After you have read it please give a review with your thoughts about it.

Don

message 40: by Minnie (new)

Minnie (minnieestelle) Okay, Don. But it will be a while. My pile is pretty big. I'm in so many writing groups and have many friends as publishers.

message 41: by Don (new)

Don Inman (doninmanauthor) | 4 comments Hi, Minnie

No rush take your time.

Don

message 42: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (ioanasaunt) | 1 comments Hello everyone! Well, I'm also writing a book, actually a novel - Blood: The Chronicles. It's written as the protagonist's perspective. It's all about the mixture of the blood of mutants and vampires. Genre: Adventure, Romance, Comedy . . .

message 43: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Darkchild (brooklyndarkchild) | 13 comments My book is called This Ain't No Hearts and Flowers Love Story Pt1 cause
every time people asked me Whatchu Writin?,
I answered,"I'm writing a love story about people with serious issues:
people who yell and scream and break s#!t
and always do the wrong thing even when they don't mean to.
It ain't a 'hearts & flowers' love story."
What's It Called? they wanted to know.
Well...
I wanted a Catchy Title.
And that seemed to be It.

message 44: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) I struggled for a while before I came up with my title. For a long time, it was listed as PTO Erik/Claire on the computer, LOL. Then, I ran across a saying attributed to Confucius: "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." That really summed up part of the overarching theme of the book for me, and thus led me to "In The Eye of The Beholder."

In The Eye of The Beholder A Novel of The Phantom of the Opera by Sharon E. Cathcart

message 45: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 51 comments I had a hard time coming up with the title for my 2nd book but finally just went with something simple that connected it to the first book. Thus we have More Southern Comfort/ Southern Comfort 2. I want my readers to want to see what is in book #2 about the same, wacky, funny family. I have absolutely no idea what title to choose for book #3 but it's already taking on a life too. My mother, bless her heart, just had a life/death experience a few months ago and the way she behaved in the hospital is a book all by itself! She managed to be her regal Southern Belle self with the physcial therapist and that wasn't easy to pull off wearing a double hospital gown ( one tied in the front and one tied in the back)with her hair sticking out like a dandelion and those awful hospital socks on her feet. She assured him that she wasn't looking for husband #3 but...she still enjoyed seeing a good looking man and he was defnitely one of those!She had him charmed in no time flat and didn't have any trouble talking him out of some of those "awful" exercises that he wanted her to do...She will be flirting with St. Peter at the Pearly Gates someday and will get her way with him too.

message 46: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Familiar Scars

A theme in the book is scars, and the familiarity...of them. The title was just something to use until I thought of something better but I was told to keep it, so I did.

message 47: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 51 comments Rita wrote: " In 2001, while researching the online archives of my hometown newspaper for a client, I stumbled upon archived stories about my father’s murder and the possible mob connections that led to his dea..."

good for you and for your family! Putting it in book form had to be a wonderful release.

message 48: by Marvin (new)

Marvin | 15 comments I'm a little late getting into this discussion but the hardest thing to write is a good title. Even though we know what the book is going to be about before we start writing it, the title has to grab attention and finding the right one does not come until near the end of the process.

Newspapers and magazines employ specialists in headline writing and even though I'm a freelance journalist, I find it impossible to come up with a good head.

My book deals with schizophrenia and as it progressed, I realized that the two themes of the book were the fact that science and medicine did not have an answer to the cause - it is a mystery. In addition, the way society treats people with this disease is shameful.

Thus, I picked the title Schizophrenia: Medicine's Mystery - Society's Shame.

That pretty much sums up the book.

message 49: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 51 comments great title...sounds like a winner to me. and I agree with your summation of how we treat anyone with a mental desease. We still believe there is something "wrong with them" but not medically as in "it is all in their head". Well, yes that is where it is but it's a lot more complicated than that and nobody wants to really find the answer. Is your book already in print and where can I get a copy?

message 50: by Marvin (new)

Marvin | 15 comments The book has received some very good reviews and is recommended by the World Fellowship For Schizophrenia and Allied Disorders. It is available on Amazon and most other book sellers but here is my web page for the book
http://bridgeross.com/schizophrenia.html

« previous 1