Reading the Bible discussion

Reading methods > What is your favorite method?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Darling | 102 comments Mod
I have said that currently I'm reading a book of the Bible a week, preferably in a single sitting. Use this discussion group to tell us what method you use to keep yourself reading the Bible.

message 2: by Timothy (new)

sounds nice ... good plan. We remember better when we wright things down. My guess is, you'll find it helpful.

message 3: by Timothy (new)

I expect to read a gospel this week as part of my book a week plan, but I've also been following the office of hours this week, so a number of psalms and poetic passages crop up during the day. A good, if repetative devotional method.

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben | 16 comments I'm following Horner's method, 10 chapters a day, currently, but it's certainly not enough. I like to sit down and read through larger chunks too.

message 5: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 04, 2013 05:29PM) (new)

Elizabeth A. Marks (ElizabethAMarks) | 7 comments You can't beat reading God's Word. Spending time in prayer talking to God about it. Journaling about what seems to resonant with you.

I'm also partial to the inductive style of study. It has three parts: Observation (really see what's there), Interpretation (find out what it means, use cross referencing to let Bible speak for itself), and Application (putting the truth in action). Anyone try this yet?

Here's a handy study puzzle for anyone who would like to try it.

message 6: by Timothy (new)

Add this list of questions to your application stage: Is there a promise to claim? a sin to beware of? a command to keep? a comforting word? a virtue to pursue? a prayer to express?

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth A. Marks (ElizabethAMarks) | 7 comments of course there are many more questions. The study puzzle I referred to was an introduction only. You know to get things started.

Bookishnymph *needs hea* (bookishnymphneedshea) I read through the Bible with the "read the bible in three months" plan. Now I just read what book hits me at them moment. However, I always read the Psalms--they're my favorite. :)

message 9: by Erv (new)

Erv Thomas | 3 comments I also like the Inductive Bible Study method. Sometimes I spend too much time and effort with it, though. I do Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) every year and that is a great way to get God's word deep into your heart. It is a 9-month study through a book of the Bible, verse by verse. It is international and free so you can signup anywhere in the world. The notes and lecture are particularly well done. Finally, I like just reading through the Bible each year with my YouVersion App and highlight what I like and take notes. That way I always have a history of what God is teaching me and it is also easy to share the verses and comments I make with my friends through the email, text or FB link.

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy Berisford | 2 comments I was basically raised as a new Christian on the new inductive study Bible- put out by Precept Ministries.The inductive method did the only method that I'm comfortable with, and I have tried doing it other ways such as the SOAP method.

message 11: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Grant (audoneinak) | 1 comments Wow, so very many styles and ways to read God's Word!
As a PK/MK (Preachers Kid/ Missionary Kid) I have been reading it since I could read! (I will be 50 my next 🎂)
I read through the Bible using many "Methods" over the years. Here are a few I remember.
1. As a teen my Parents got all 6 of us (4 kids, 2 parents) the same exact Bible in different colors. A cheap one just for reading with easy font size and style. Then they did the math on how many pages had writing, divided by days of the year and Bingo! We knew we had to read 7 pages every day! If the page had only 1/4 writing it was still a page because it had been counted. (They took out blank pgs, between old and new Testament pages, etc ahead of time in their math.
2. 5, 7, or 10 Chapers a day. I have done any and all the above.
3. Read for 30 min. Or Read for an hour. (Before I had kids!😝)
4. Read a book a day.
5. Through the Bible in a year,
6. Through the Bible in 6 months.
7. Read the Bible BACKWARDS.
I really enjoyed this one! I did it last year. I read Rev., Jude, you get it. It is amazing what you see when you do it this way!
And more...

message 12: by Judy (new)

Judy Berisford | 2 comments Have you really read a book a day? Did you find that you were able to retain the basic premise of the book you were reading? That is a very ambitious approach, I should try that sometime! 😋