The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Books You Have Lemmed

Comments Showing 1-50 of 262 (262 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Sheala (new)

Sheala | 6 comments I was interested to hear that both Tom and Veronica have 'Lemmed' books before. I dunno about you, but I always feel like a guilty betrayer when i realize I'm not going to finish a book.

The last book of fantasy I Lemmed was one of the Weis/Hickman series. It was a while ago and I went on a Mystery binge for a bit before picking up more sword and laser. (Pratchett was the what got me back in) I have been pickier about my choices since then.

I have also thrown out a book after reading because i have hated the ending so much. The feeling is bit different from 'Lemming' as I feel betrayed by the author and am guiltless about tossing it. The last one of those was Man in the High Castle, by Philip K Dick. (sorry Tom)

I was curious to hear what books others have Lemmed or uh, tossed out by the end.

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments I have lemmed on a few books. I figure if they are boring me or just not an enjoyable read and I am am at least 30% into the book I should call it quite before I waste more time vs. finishing the book and deciding it was a waste of time.

The books I have lemmed on in last few years are:

Rule 34 (before it became a pick)
The Emporers knife
The Devish House (no idea why everyone loved it tried 3 times to read it)

Books I wished I lemmed on or hated the ending
Sum of All fears (all that build up and then fizzle)
Reality 36 (enjoyed the book but the ending felt like my copy was missing the last few chapters)

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I feel terribly guilty about lemming The Graveyard Book, especially since Gaiman signed it for me and drew a little headstone with Kate written on it.

It just held do interest for me and I bailed after a few chapters. I can't even get through the audiobook. I fully intend to read it some day, but that day is not approaching.

message 4: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (last edited Feb 15, 2012 02:40PM) (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
I've lemmed a good number of books - sometimes guiltily, sometimes with relish. I have a custom goodreads shelf titled 'abandoned-but-tempting' for ones I might pick up again.

Of S&L reads, I've lemmed The Eye of the World and The Once and Future King (both are on that abandoned-but-tempting shelf).

The most recent book I lemmed (just yesterday!) I do feel guilty about - The Name of the Rose. I wrote this: "I feel some shame in doing this, but I'm putting it down after reading about 60%. I've been looking forward to it for many years, and it seemed like I would love it: a murder mystery set in a medieval monastery, a Sherlock Holmes-like super-observant monk as the investigator, a library that's a labyrinth, dark secrets revolving around arcane books - I was expecting it to be what would happen if Borges somehow managed to write a juicy page-turner.

But instead, despite some amazing moments, I mostly found myself slogging through, only mildly engaged. Part of it might have to do with not liking the info-dumps that are continually spooled out through long dialogues - distinctions between heretical sects and other fine complex theological points all make sense in the context of the story, but I would really rather receive huge chunks of information on that stuff in a non-fiction book these days. On the other hand, it wasn't so long ago that I read Anathem and I liked the info-dumps there, so maybe it's a combination of the subject matter and presentation here. Regardless, I felt like I was getting too far behind on my 2012-reading-challenge-list by forcing myself through this, but may pick it up again someday."

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I lemmed both The Lies of Locke Lamora and Furies of Calderon. Both books were not my style or taste of fantasy.

message 6: by JRush (new)

JRush | 64 comments I lemmed The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... then when straight to the doctor to see what the hell is wrong with me. Im not sure if I just read it a decade to late and 13 year old me would have loved it, or if I just wasn't in the mood for silly/dry humor. O well, will definitely give it another chance in the future.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Jonathan wrote: "I lemmed The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... then when straight to the doctor to see what the hell is wrong with me. Im not sure if I just read it a decade to late and 13 year old me ..."

Try the radio play, the original and the best.

message 8: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "I feel terribly guilty about lemming The Graveyard Book, especially since Gaiman signed it for me and drew a little headstone with Kate written on it."

BTW, I'm officially jealous of your cruelly lemmed copy of The Graveyard Book.

message 9: by Alan (new)

Alan (professoralan) I wish I had the ability to Lem a book, but I am too OCD to stop reading a book (sometimes even a series) once I've started.

message 10: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I lemmed The Da Vinci Code--twice. I think I might go change the name of my unfinished shelf to my "lemmed" shelf.

message 11: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 171 comments I lemmed Destiny: Child of the Sky I really enjoyed the two books before it but this one dragged on too much I just stopped reading it. Others I lemmed are
Memoirs Found in a Bathtub I figure that is where the word lemmed is coming from because I just struggled to finish this but ultimately couldn't
and
Anathem

message 12: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments I have a shelf called "abandoned" for just this purpose. I try not to give up on books, but I have done so. The only S&L book I started and did not finish, though, was Dune. I tried it in print and in audio and I just couldn't get into it. I never found myself caring and I started dreading reading sessions. There have been S&L picks I've skipped, though. This year, as part of a New Year's resolution, I'm going to give all of them a chance.

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Nasuti (rlnasuti) | 31 comments I lemmed "Tell All" by Chuck Palahniuk. Just can't get into his newer stuff, but that book was terrible for me.

message 14: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1664 comments Mod
I love that this is a verb so hard.

message 15: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3489 comments Mod
I have had War and Peace on my bookshelf for over 25 years. Started it 3 times, lemed it 3 times.
I know now that I will never read it.

I have started many library books or free kindle books and stopped early, but I don't consider that leming as I had no money invested.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy Pilkington | 104 comments I have also lemmed Hitchhiker's Guide. I have come to the conclusion that humour books don't hold my interest, since Douglas Adams isn't the only funny author I've lemmed. It's not that I don't find the prose funny, but I just lose interest. The same thing happened with the radio play.

Right now, I'm this close to lemming Empire in Black and Gold. At 25%, I still feel no urge to continue reading besides the feeling of obligation, because I started it.

Usually what happens though, is the book I'm struggling with ends up as a secondary read, and I pick at it until it finally engages me enough to be my main read, or it ends.

message 17: by Tamahome (last edited Feb 16, 2012 06:54AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6087 comments I have 99 books in my currently reading shelf, which I assure you I'm not currently reading. Goodreads should have a 'stalled' or 'lemmed' button.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 18: by Kate (last edited Feb 16, 2012 07:47AM) (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Tamahome wrote: "I have 99 books in my currently reading shelf, which I assure you I'm not currently reading. Goodreads should have a 'stalled' or 'lemmed' button.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/......"

You can make an exclusive shelf like 'read' or 'currently reading.'
Go to 'My Books', on the top left next to 'bookshelves' click 'edit'.
Scroll to the bottom and in the 'add a shelf' box type 'lemmed.'
Click 'add.'
Check the 'exclusive' box next to your 'lemmed' shelf et voilà, you can move your unloved books over there.

Really I missed by calling as a technical writer.

message 19: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6087 comments Hmm, I didn't know about the 'exclusive' checkbox. Checking out the 'batch edit' feature too.

message 20: by T. Scott (new)

T. Scott (stormingthecastle) | 13 comments The audiobook of Revelation Space was too confusing with all of the multiple timelines. After 8 hours I finally gave it because I couldn't get my head around what was going on when. I also gave up on The Stainless Steel Rat because it was too dated and corny.

message 21: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments I haven't lemmed to much fiction. Sometimes I wish I would have though. For me it's the Non-fiction books that I have lemmed in the past. The last 2 I can remember quitting are His Excellency: George Washington, because it was so damn dry that I nodded off while driving once at 3 in the afternoon, and Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer because it was so overly dramatic and speculative that it felt like a fictional story to me. The author was seriously speculating on wether John Wilkes Booth held his head in his hands while he contemplaated what he would later do that night. It was a bit much for me.

message 22: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2244 comments Last book that I remember lemming (many years ago) was Wizard's First Rule -- I got a few pages in and just kind of went "Meh" and moved along.

I kind of wish I would've lemmed some of the Dune prequels. Oh, well.

message 23: by Alterjess (new)

Alterjess | 319 comments I lemmed the Dune prequels, eventually.

The other book I lemmed recently was Chronic City. I just hated all the characters so much, I couldn't bring myself to spend any more time with them. I wish I'd lemmed Ready Player One for the same reason, but the plot in that one was zippy enough that I settled for just muttering "shutupshutupshutupIhateyouIhateyou" under my breath for about the last 100 pages or so.

message 24: by Brad (new)

Brad | 21 comments Sandi wrote: "I lemmed The Da Vinci Code--twice. I think I might go change the name of my unfinished shelf to my "lemmed" shelf."

That's my most recently lemmed book. I read two chapters and realized that there was no way I would be able to make it past the awful writing.

I came close to abandoning its spiritual ancestor, Foucault's Pendulum. However, I stuck with it and found it very rewarding.

message 25: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2244 comments I've also lemmed Laurell K. Hamilton, if we broaden the definition a bit -- I didn't leave any of the books I read half-finished, but I just kind of sighed and gave up on both of her series a few years back. (A gradual process. First, you buy but don't read a couple of installments. Then you just stop buying them altogether.)

message 26: by Kevin (last edited Feb 17, 2012 11:22AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Yeah, I forgot that I also lemmed all of the Dune prequels, but the first house book, the first and last Legend of Dune books, and Paul and Jessica of Dune, along witht he sequel. I wished I lemmed all the books, but Sandworms and the first Legend of Dune book. Other than thsoe too they were all horrible.

message 27: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2244 comments "Dune: The Phantom Menace."

message 28: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6087 comments Ok I renamed my 'stalled' bookshelf to 'lemmed'. Apologies to anyone getting my notifications. It looks like it resends a notification for every book in the shelf. But moving books to different shelves with a bulk edit doesn't seem to create any noise.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 29: by Alterjess (new)

Alterjess | 319 comments Joseph wrote: ""Dune: The Phantom Menace.""

Hahaha! Yes, exactly.

I was actually named after Jessica Atreides, so Dune has always been a hugely important book in my life. The prequels just about broke my heart, they were so awful.

message 30: by Graham (new)

Graham (gsadair) | 5 comments I was so disappointed with myself for Lemming "Solar" by Ian McEwan, but I was halfway through and bored, if it was a S&L pick I might have persevered…
The very next book I read was "Addition" by Toni Jordan. Halfway and I Lemmed it, for about two weeks. Given that I know Toni, I forced myself to continue and was blown away by the second half and the twists and turns the narrative took.
Not sure if I'm able to UnLemm Solar though…

message 31: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 171 comments Yeah I lemmed Dunealso. I just couldn't get into it. And I will probably catch a lot of "huh" with lemming the The Hobbit

message 32: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6087 comments

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Jess wrote: "Joseph wrote: ""Dune: The Phantom Menace.""

Hahaha! Yes, exactly.

I was actually named after Jessica Atreides, so Dune has always been a hugely important book in my life. The prequels just ab..."

Exactly my view on the prequels. I think they were just a way for the authors to make money out of something that is overdone.

message 34: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments I look forward to having a place to put those awful books. And also checking the box so they don't influence GR recommendations. Thanks, Kate.

I couldn't get through The Magicians. Once I realized the fantasy world was as depressing as the school I jumped to the end. Others recently where I threw the book out were Superpowers and Prodigy. All fall into the category Bleak.

message 35: by Arroyo0 (new)

Arroyo0 | 51 comments I lemmed Last Argument of Kings and The Butlerian Jihad.
I wish I had lemmed the Dune prequel series, Frank Herbert's Dune series is the best Sci-Fi ever, all the new stuff is junk IMHO.

message 36: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments I missed what started this thread. Is the last `e' in the word lemmed pronounced? Is it "lem'd" or "lemmeeed"?

And how to lemmings fit into this picture?

message 37: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3489 comments Mod
Sporadic Reviews wrote: "I missed what started this thread. Is the last `e' in the word lemmed pronounced? Is it "lem'd" or "lemmeeed"?

And how to lemmings fit into this picture?"

It's Lem'd. The name comes from Veronica giving up on Memoirs Found in a Bathtub by Stanisław Lem

Lemming is the action form of lem.

message 38: by Luke (new)

Luke McCann (metricbounce) My Lem'd list (not complete) is:

Bones of the Dragon
A Game of Thrones
Catch-22 - wrong time in my life to try this one
The Lyre of Orpheus

Let the head scratching begin.

message 39: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments As a side note, I didn't try Memoirs Found in a Bathtub, but I think V would have had much more success with the Audible "Definitive Edition" of Solaris. It was great.

message 40: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments terpkristin wrote: "As a side note, I didn't try Memoirs Found in a Bathtub, but I think V would have had much more success with the Audible "Definitive Edition" of Solaris. It was great."

Nah, we should've gone with The Cyberiad. Memoirs is like trying to get someone into Tolkien by giving them The Silmarillion.

message 41: by Michael (new)

Michael Lane (arsindelve) | 2 comments American Gods. Most people love this book, so I think it was just the wrong time for me and I should try it again in a few years.

message 42: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Michael wrote: "American Gods. Most people love this book, so I think it was just the wrong time for me and I should try it again in a few years."

If you have any interest in audiobooks, the 10-year anniversary recording that is on Audible is great.

message 43: by Luke (new)

Luke McCann (metricbounce) American Gods I finished but should have lemmed it. I enjoyed the last 15% of if but the first 85% where not worth it.

message 44: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments Looking at my shelves, I seem to average about ten lems/year. And about half I stop because I really hate the book, and half I get bored or find something better to read. I suppose both reasons count as lems?

message 45: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 11 comments Wish I had lemmed Moby-Dick. NOT worth it just to say I finished that book. On the flip side, I can talk about whaling in the 1800's now.

message 46: by Tora (new)

Tora | 69 comments I don't lem often. I hate giving up on books, but I wish I'd lemmed Faulkner's Sanctuary. I hated every single page of that book, and the ending was worse than the rest.

message 47: by Steven (new)

Steven (jajostenik) | 12 comments So far I have only lemmed two books. The first was the Brothers Karamazov. Just couldn't get into it. The second book was Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. I think the weird sex in beginning through me off and than the book slowed down enough that I just didn't care about the characters.

message 48: by Aeryn98 (new)

Aeryn98 | 175 comments I never used to lem any book until I started watching my stack of books on my kindle rise out of all proportion. Now I seem to have no problem putting books aside.

So I have lately lemmed:
The Magician King
Skippy Dies
and
Palimpsest

Life's too short to waste on a book that isn't catching your imagination.

message 49: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) I Lemmed Spook Country, and while I managed to struggle through to the end of Lord of Chaos, I skipped large portions of it and plan on Lemming the rest of the series.

message 50: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Niezgoda (nieznerd) | 1 comments I Lemmed American Gods and Boneshaker

« previous 1 3 4 5 6