dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina Hook | 327 comments Mod
Happy Reading.

message 2: by Tina (new)

The group questions for the month:

Do you believe in luck?

In both stories, the lucky endings land with a sort of question mark. Are our characters better off?

message 3: by Tina (new)

I know that one of you is reading Girl in Translation already. Here is an excerpt to get you going.

"There's a Chinese saying that the fates are winds that blow through our lives from every angle, urging us along the paths of time. Those who are strong-willed may fight the storm and possibly choose their own road, while the weak must go where they are blown."

message 4: by Faye (new)

Faye Finished! I really enjoyed this book, an amazing story of success over hardship. Despite its quite serious subject matter I like the way the author kept it lighthearted with the cultural differences and the confusion over language. For example when they made clothing out of soft toy material, comical and yet so sad at the same time.

I have to say though I don't think luck featured very heavily in this novel at all. They say some people make their own luck and i think this is a great example of that. Kim was talented but also massively determined to help herself and her mother.

I was a bit disappointed in the ending, i felt it was a bit rushed and didn't really fit with the rest of the book.

message 5: by Tina (new)

Faye wrote: "Finished! I really enjoyed this book, an amazing story of success over hardship. Despite its quite serious subject matter I like the way the author kept it lighthearted with the cultural difference..."

Yay! Glad to hear you finished it.

This story opens with a question about luck/fate/destiny and whether you can fight against it. So for me this was a story about a character fighting to make her own luck as well, though throughout the story you are wondering if she is going to crumble beneath all the bad luck that has already been heaped on her.

I'm glad to hear you mimic what I kind of took from the last half of the story as well, it didn't feel as strong as the first. And the ending does leave you questioning.

Thanks for participating, Faye.

message 6: by Tina (new)

Jen wrote: "I finished Girl and LOVED it! Do I believe in luck? Yes!!! I believe Kimberly had a lot of luck on her side through the whole story."

Jen! *High five.*