Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Movies & TV > Once Upon a Time

Comments Showing 1-50 of 156 (156 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments All right I know it seems like every group has a thread for this series, or at least the ones I hang at do. So it can't hurt to have a thread here.

[image error]

Summary:

The story is set in the small town of Storybrooke, Maine. The town is populated by characters from fairy tales, who have been exiled to the real world due to a curse cast by the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) as part of a revenge plot against Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin), and Prince Charming (Josh Dallas). Because of the curse, most of the inhabitants of Storybrooke have no memory of their true identities and have been stuck timelessly in Storybrooke for years.

This changes when Henry (Jared S. Gilmore), the adopted son of Storybrooke's Mayor Regina Mills (also Lana Parrilla), seeks out his birth mother, Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison), a bounty hunter living in Boston and coerces her to come to Storybrooke. Henry, who knows about the curse from a book given him by his teacher Mary Margaret Blanchard (also Ginnifer Goodwin), informs Emma that she is the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming and that she is destined to break the curse holding everyone in Storybrooke. Skeptical, Emma decides to stay in Storybrooke after seeing how lonely Henry is and how he is emotionally neglected by his mother. In staying, Emma continues to run afoul of Mayor Mills. This conflict only increases when Emma becomes the town Sheriff.

Each episode usually focuses on one main character who is experiencing some sort of conflict in Storybrooke. Flashbacks also show what their character's story was in the fairy tale world of the Enchanted Forest. In the first season, almost all of the flashbacks involved Rumpelstiltskin (Robert Carlyle) making deals with the protagonists as part of some sort of machiavellian plot. In Storybrooke, Rumpelstiltskin is known as Mr. Gold, the wealthiest man in town; he is one of the few who knows of his fairy tale past.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Yes I did. I loved Belle. It bothered me at first that Rumple was the beast, but I really like how it finally made him seem more . . . well human.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments *sigh* She either has to be the best evil queen ever or the worst.

Though I feel a little weird saying it I'm totally digging Rumple now.

[image error]

It's not that he's serisouly yummy or attractive. Like Charming or the old sheriff. His character just pulls me in. Oh, and then the whole beast thing. I just can not resist the beast. ^_-

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I wasn't looking forward to last week's episode because I can't stand Rumple, lol. But it was much better than I'd thought it would be. Plus, the actress who played Belle was in Lost, and I had loved her character on that show.

Was anyone else freaked out by the ending?

message 5: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Feb 15, 2012 11:08AM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I was!! Obvoisly the Queen (view spoiler)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Mawh-ha!! That's why we love it, anyone could die!

It's driving me crazy for Emily to realize that the kids story is real.

message 7: by Jennifer D. (new)

Jennifer D. (jenpen4) I love this show. And so does my daughter. We watch it every week (unless she's grounded, then she has to wait and watch it online).

I love Rumple. He cracks me up. And I love him as Gold, too. And what about the end of this week when he talks to the Mayor?? I'm VERY curious as to where that will go. However, after the whole Graham thing happened I kind of figured she knew.

I hate the modern-day Charming who loves Mary Margaret but won't leave his wife. I feel so bad for Mary and I'm glad that she finally stuck up for herself this week. Hopefully she stays that way.

And the mystery still remains about the "writer" who has Henry's book.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments To be honst I don't like the whole Modern day love story between Snow and Charming at all. It's not sweet or anything . . . it's just sad. I wish they would show more of their romance in the fiarytale realm

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Amber wrote: "Jennifer T. wrote: "I love this show. And so does my daughter. We watch it every week (unless she's grounded, then she has to wait and watch it online).

I love Rumple. He cracks me up. And I l..."

It's an awesome laugh, it just cracks me up.

message 10: by Jennifer D. (new)

Jennifer D. (jenpen4) Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "To be honst I don't like the whole Modern day love story between Snow and Charming at all. It's not sweet or anything . . . it's just sad. I wish they would show more of their romance in the fiar..."

I really agree with this. I liked it when she was pining for him and he was in a coma (though it was still rather sad), but now it's just wrong.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Yep. Contrary to Hollywood belief affairs and men who "want it all" is not romantic.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Jennifer T. wrote: "I hate the modern-day Charming who loves Mary Margaret but won't leave his wife. I feel so bad for Mary and I'm glad that she finally stuck up for herself this week. Hopefully she stays that way. "

Me too! I thought that I was the only one! Although I'm not pleased with Mary, either. I have this thing about spouses who cheat :P

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan Michelle L. wrote: "I wasn't looking forward to last week's episode because I can't stand Rumple, lol. But it was much better than I'd thought it would be. Plus, the actress who played Belle was in Lost, and I had l..."

waaaaaa I missed that episode!
Gonna try to watch it on the web site.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "*sigh* She either has to be the best evil queen ever or the worst.

Though I feel a little weird saying it I'm totally digging Rumple now.

Do you remember him from the show ... he was a brilliant scientist on a space ship lost at the end of the galaxy?? crap I can't remember the name of it! LOVED that show too... then they just ZIP! ended it (at least they GAVE it an ending and didn't just leave us hanging!)

It's not that he's serisouly yummy or attractive. L..."

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Hmmm...I believe that would be Firefly.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Great show, we're addicted over here. I think the Rumple Beauty and the Beast episode may have been the best yet

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I'm with you on that Erin!!

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan Michelle L. wrote: "Hmmm...I believe that would be Firefly."

nope... dang it... what WAS that show...?

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan Rumple - Beauty and the Beast was SAD !!!! so it's not my fav!

I liked the one where the Hunter helped SNOW by not killing her... even tho the queen got his heart...and eventually used it to kill him right in front of the sheriff...sniffle...wait
that was sad too...
oh well

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Admit it Susan, you love those sad bit! ^_-

message 21: by Whitney (new)

Whitney xavier (anglexavier) | 7 comments we love every bit

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments All right after tonights episode I can officially say that Prince Charming sucks in the "real world."

I still get gooey watching them in fairy tale land. Also what's with the mysterious writer??

Still can't believe that I have to wait 2 weeks for my next fix!!

message 23: by Vashti (new)

Vashti | 3 comments Love this show,agree that david is not so prince charming now,what about that cliffhanger where catherine is missing from her car and her own alt reality ptince arrives on the scene.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments With the book (view spoiler)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments The Katherine bit is very cool. I've really loathed her character no mater what "version" she is, (view spoiler)

Is anyone else just dying to know what Snow White did to piss off the evil Queen so much?? I hate how the keep eluding to it, but never come out and say it!

message 26: by Vashti (new)

Vashti | 3 comments I thought that snow's father loved her so much and that she had reminded him of her dead mother who he had loved so much.there was a party scene where the king had .mentioned this and regina was there and she felt hurt that the king did not love her at all.in tonites epi when catherine had asked her if she had ever loved at all,she said yes.i think that she loved the king,he did not love her,but the jinn loved her who is now trapped in the mirror.

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Amber wrote: "We probably won't find out what Snow did til the very end.
As far as the book, I think so too. And I wonder what will happen with those two also. I wonder if Regina has her in the same place as Be..."

I think that Catherine will simply (view spoiler)

Darn those Academy Awards last night anyway, lol. I wanted my OAT fix!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Thank you!!

message 29: by Juliette (new)

Juliette (juliette614) | 31 comments Michelle L. wrote: "Amber wrote: "We probably won't find out what Snow did til the very end.
As far as the book, I think so too. And I wonder what will happen with those two also. I wonder if Regina has her in the sa..."

I know!!! Stupid awards!! I am not so sure about that, I think Catherine will reapear eventually.

message 30: by Jennifer D. (new)

Jennifer D. (jenpen4) Juliette wrote: "Michelle L. wrote: "Amber wrote: "We probably won't find out what Snow did til the very end.
As far as the book, I think so too. And I wonder what will happen with those two also. I wonder if Reg..."

Me too - especially now that they have shown Catherine's modern-day love. There will be some story line to go with it.

message 31: by Jennifer D. (new)

Jennifer D. (jenpen4) I am surprised they really didn't dwell on the Catherine aspect last night. And I really hate the queen (view spoiler)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Wow!! There was a new episode yesterday?? I thought they said 2 weeks before the next one. *sigh* Make-up time. (I was on a little road trip anyway.)

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I wasn't surprised about the queen, but I was surprised that Emma (view spoiler) I thought she might have looked the other way so that (view spoiler).

message 34: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 240 comments I love this show it's fantastic and keeps getting better. I am so hoping it gets picked up for a second season. also I hope it comes to netflix streaming.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I'm sure netflix will, but they usually don't get them until the dvd releases.

Hulu has it now.

message 36: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 240 comments right now I have a dvr and like to wait a month so I can watch them in a marthon mode. still a fantstic show and I like emma.

message 37: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 09, 2012 09:38AM) (new)

Jennifer (jenlopez1283) | 55 comments I know there was only one little comment about mermaids but does anyone know if they'll do an Ariel storyline?

message 38: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 240 comments was she a brothers grimm story if not I don't think so.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Pretty sure they will. They keep hinting to it.

message 40: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 240 comments who know's. who is your favorite side character on the show. mine is red riding hood yum.

message 41: by Jen (new)

Jen (geekybookgal) I'm kind of disappointed in the "real world" Charming. He seems like a wimp to me, such a contrast to his story character..and I feel so sorry for Snow. :-(

It's become one of my favorite shows tho!

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenlopez1283) | 55 comments That would be cool to! I love Alice in Wonderland

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments All the characters (but the villians) seem weaker in the real world. I think someone said that part of the spell was to make them "lesser versions" of themselves.

Red ridinghood looks so different in her modern day and fairy tale get up.

[image error]

totally agree she is yummy, I really want to get her background.

message 44: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 240 comments which girl is alice on the show I don't remmber?

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Timothy wrote: "was she a brothers grimm story if not I don't think so."

I'm not sure they're sticking with Grimm stories very closely. They've included both Pinocchio and King Midas who were not Grimm characters.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I think it's a free for all. I kind of like it that way, you never know what's going to happen next.

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "I'm sure netflix will, but they usually don't get them until the dvd releases.

Hulu has it now."

Ii go to ABC.com and watch Once Upon.. if I miss it - and this week - UGH - SPORTS?!?!? basketball-bleh
so no Once Upon

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan Vashti wrote: "I thought that snow's father loved her so much and that she had reminded him of her dead mother who he had loved so much.there was a party scene where the king had .mentioned this and regina was th..."

but that makes me feel like it's the KING she should hate - not Snow?... aaaaaurgh

message 49: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "I think it's a free for all. I kind of like it that way, you never know what's going to happen next."

I agree. It gives the writers of the show more to draw from.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Loved Reds story tonight!! I kind of new (view spoiler)

I hope she gets her happily ever after.

« previous 1 3 4