Darynda Jones Fans discussion

TGDA Book Discussion > Day 1-TGDA Book Discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
Overall—how did you experience the book while reading it? Were you immediately drawn into the story—or did it take a while? Did the book intrigue, amuse, disturb, alienate, or irritate, you?

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
I was sucked right into the story and was thrilled to be back in Charley's world. I started laughing from begining and we got that hot, hot, hot dream with Reyes pretty quickly so it started off with a bang!

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) I was so anxious for this book that for me Darynda could do no wrong. Charley is still some one that I wanna get drunk with. Reyes is a dick....ahh, but what a dick. Men!

message 4: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments I was also a little anxious about the book, I wanted to read it but didn't want to finish it fast to be sure I was getting the whole story properly digested. I wasn't very intrigued about Charley's cases but I was to what Reyes was doing/trying to do. I didn't expect any of his actions but it didn't disturb me and most of the times I was amused by it. I'm still pretty intrigued about Charley's future though!

message 5: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments My interest was peaked from the very start. I could not put the book down until I finished it.

This book was a low riding roller coaster. The overall feel of the story was stressful for me. The happy emotions were brief without any enduring substance or meaning. Charlie and Cookie had me LOL at their antics. I was worried about Reyes's reaction to Charlie's binding. Then, when Mistress Marigold predicted Charlie would soon have a guardian I became twice as nervous. Although, I had a feeling her guardian might be the dog, I did not know for sure where Jones was going. I feared it might be Garrett because he was always closely following her. I felt grief when we believed Garrett was dead.

Close to the end, my emotions were a mixture of rage and sadness for Charlie. Her father's betrayal of pushing for her arrest brought tears to my eyes again. I do not think Charlie will be able to completely forgive him this time. To add to the heartache, Reyes, used her. I hated most of the men in this series by the last page. Every man she loved and trusted most in her life had used her (except Ubie -I love him more and more; Cookie and Ubie together forever). Distraught....

Finally, we discover Garrett is alive and her guardian is the dog. I feel joy for Garrett's life but stress. I am left with too many questions until the next book. Why can the little ghost girl get close to Charlie but the dog will not let Garrett into the room? What is going to happen with Garrett? Will he remember his conversation with Charlie? Will he remember hearing the angels? Will he have special powers? Can humans see the dog? My OCD personality can't handle this.

Mel wrote: "Why can the little ghost girl get close to Charlie but the dog will not let Garrett into the room? What is going to happen with Garrett? Will he remember his conversation with Charlie? Will he remember hearing the angels? Will he have special powers? Can humans see the dog?..."

My theory on some of these: The little ghost girl took it upon herself to act as Charley's temporary guardian and Artemis allowed her to get close to her because she had been guarding Charley too. Garrett couldn't approach because Artemis could tell that he wasn't a spirit getting ready to cross through Charley. I think that Garrett's going to remember at least part (if not all) of his experiences with the angels, he'll remember what Charley is, and he'll be able to play a role in the fight-that might mean special powers or just the knowledge to help Charley out-not sure which. I don't think humans will be able to see Artemis but anything supernatural (the ghosts, demons, etc) will see her.

message 7: by Dana, Founder (new)

Wow! So many great answers, reading your thoughts has made me want to reread the book again! I had serious issues with this book. :/ I was so excited I couldn't read it.(This lasted only seconds.) LOL Once I did begin, it was like I was hanging out with an old friend. I was on edge the whole time, I was waiting for something to happen and then WHAM, what did happen wasn't what I had expected. I wanted the WHAM BAM Thank you MA'AM between Reyes and Charley and we are talking "skin on skin" peeps. Although it didn't happen, there was enough close calls to keep me in a state of eagerness until book 4. The need to know more eats at me anytime I think about the series. I've been caught line, hook, and sinker.

Traci wrote: "Mel wrote: "Why can the little ghost girl get close to Charlie but the dog will not let Garrett into the room? What is going to happen with Garrett? Will he remember his conversation with Charlie? ..."

Another thought I had about the little girl-now that Artemis was there she was ready to cross through Charley so Artemis let her close. She's not going to stop the ghosts who should cross from crossing.

message 9: by Dana, Founder (new)

Cindy wrote: "I was so anxious for this book that for me Darynda could do no wrong. Charley is still some one that I wanna get drunk with. Reyes is a dick....ahh, but what a dick. Men!"

Cin, I couldn't have said it better! SOOO happy to have you back!

message 10: by Mel (last edited Feb 15, 2012 05:47PM) (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "Traci wrote: "Mel wrote: "Why can the little ghost girl get close to Charlie but the dog will not let Garrett into the room? What is going to happen with Garrett? Will he remember his conversation ..."

Traci, I hope you are correct about Garrett...I just do not want him to turn bad. I too think he will help out in the fight somehow. I am actually hoping Garrett turns out to be a kinda Guardian for Charlie...definitely not as powerful as Reyes and her but more powerful than humans so he can help protect her from human problems. It was just a theory that has been working in my brain but I have no clue what Jones is working up for him so I will just keep wondering until the next book. :)

message 11: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "Traci wrote: "Mel wrote: "Why can the little ghost girl get close to Charlie but the dog will not let Garrett into the room? What is going to happen with Garrett? Will he remember his conversation ..."

Again, Traci...a good thought. I was just fearin' something bad. You have eased my concerns. Thanks!

Mel wrote: "Traci wrote: "Traci wrote: "Mel wrote: "Why can the little ghost girl get close to Charlie but the dog will not let Garrett into the room? What is going to happen with Garrett? Will he remember his..."

I'm glad I could ease your mind Mel! And I love you're idea of Garrett as a type of guardian!

message 13: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
Weeellll, when I first listened to the audio, I was really upset because in my version Swopes died. That event along with her Dads betrayal and Reyes telling her to f off, I was really sad for Charley. Even the little bit of happiness she got from Donovan and Artemis wasn't enough to shake off the doom and gloom. Now that I have heard the correct version, I feel much better about the book. I really loved it. I just hope that Reyes gets his head out of a$$ soon! lol

message 14: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Candie wrote: "Weeellll, when I first listened to the audio, I was really upset because in my version Swopes died. That event along with her Dads betrayal and Reyes telling her to f off, I was really sad for Char..."

I didn't know what changed between versions, I knew the end was different. I supposed it was Garret's death but it could be something else. Thanks!

message 15: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
Yeah, that was the only difference. :-)

message 16: by Dana, Founder (new)

Yes, the audio book had to be recalled to record the correct ending!

message 17: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vicki_lp) | 217 comments Mod
I loved it. I was sucked in during the acknowledgement page. Darynda's humor always cracks me up!

message 18: by Dana, Founder (new)

Vicki wrote: "I loved it. I was sucked in during the acknowledgement page. Darynda's humor always cracks me up!"

Vicki, her acknowledgements ARE funny!