Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

suggestions > Best books from Baen Free Library?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin | 6 comments I've recently discovered Baen's free library, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

http://www.baen.com/library/books.asp

I currently have 'purchased' On Basilisk Station and 1632, both of which I've heard good things about. I've recently spent more on ebooks recently than I probably should, so this should get me by for a while until I can buy some more.

I will say that Baen has an assortment of books with atrociously bad covers. Luckily, ereaders have eliminated the embarrassing feeling of reading a book with a cheesy cover while in public!

message 2: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 20 comments Whatever books they have by Lois McMaster Bujold are what I'd recommend -- I think she's one of our greatest living SF writers. :)

(Baen's covers are SO. BAD.)

message 3: by Justin (last edited Feb 16, 2012 07:10AM) (new)

Justin | 6 comments Ok thanks. I got a couple of her books now, thanks to your suggestion. I downloaded The Warrior's Apprentice, but now I see that it's the 3rd in a series. Do you know if it is a stand alone or should it be read in order?

(They so are!)

message 4: by Greyweather (last edited Feb 16, 2012 11:18AM) (new)

Greyweather I haven't read them but a friend of mine who has told me that I should start with The Warrior's Apprentice anyway.

Sheepfarmer's Daughter is another well-regarded fantasy novel in their collection.

I really enjoyed their Free Short Stories 2011 collection. Larry Correia's stories were particularly good.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin | 6 comments All right, sounds good. Thanks for the info and additional recommendations.

message 6: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 20 comments The Warrior's Apprentice is third in the Vorkosigan Saga overall (after Shards of Honour and Barrayar) but it's the first to feature Miles Vorkosigan as the protagonist, so it works as a first book in the series pretty well. Hope you enjoy it!

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Pearl (stephenp11) | 37 comments .

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) I really loved Sisters of Glass.

message 9: by Peter (last edited Apr 25, 2012 09:58PM) (new)

Peter (plok) | 6 comments Easiest way to get the Baen Free books is to use the website: http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

The site hosts the CDs bundled with some of their books under a Baen Books license that allows redistribution. Easy to browse interface by CD. There are hundreds of books here from David Drake, David Weber, Bujold, and more. I've used it and made it a point to buy some of the books later to support the writers who do this for publicity as far as I can tell. But it is an easy way to read all of the Honor Harrington novels and such. All I can say is that when you see the number of books by some of these authors is that I wish I was that prolific in my own writing.