Bookbent discussion

Brooklyn, Burning
This topic is about Brooklyn, Burning
Book Discussions > April/May/June 2012 - Brooklyn, Burning

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel | 7 comments Mod
The first book is Brooklyn, Burning, by Steve Brezenoff. Place your requests!

Rachel | 7 comments Mod
You can talk about anything you'd like about the book. This isn't a class, there's no right or wrong answers, just your thoughts.

If you're stuck for somewhere to start, try one or more of the following topics:

1. Describe both Kid and Scout. What details about each character's appearance are included in the book? What details are left out? Why do you think the author chose which pieces of information to include?

2. Why do you think Kid refuses to answer anyone's questions about the fire?

3. After they get home from teh police station, Kid's father says, "As soon as you make up your mind, we'll make up ours." What do you think he means by that?

4. When Fish and Kid fight about whether or not Kid can sleep in the cellar, why do you think Kid says, "Fish looked at me, and I felt bad for an instant. She wasn't my enemy; she wasn't my mom or my dad. She was just like me, in a lot of ways." What is the significance of this observation?

5. Why are Fish and Jonny concerned about Kid's feelings for Felix?

6. Why do you think the author chose to write Brooklyn, Burning in the second person, so that Kid is addressing Scout directly throughout the course of the book?

7. Discuss the significance of the conversation between Fish and Kid on pages 94-96.

8. Explain the meaning of this exchange between Konny, Kid, and the police:
"Well, isn't this a picture," one of the cops said as we walked up. His head was clean shaven, and I knew he was one of the cops who brought me in that first day of summer. Plus he seemed to recognize me. He smiled and said, "Two birds, one stone." The other one dragged his eyes from Konny's astonishing physique to look me up and down. "Well, one bird, anyway. What the hell is that?" He nodded at me.

9. After being arrested, Kid doesn't want Konny to go to the fish plant to tell Kid's father. Why?

10. What makes Kid's mom start to listen in a new way after Kid gets arrested?

11. What causes the change in Kid's home life?

12. Why do you think Kid decides to quit smoking?

13. On the roof, Felix tells Kid, "I love the sunrise. But I prefer the sunset, because at least it's honest." Do you think Felix is trying to communicate something about his relationship with Kid? If so, what?

14. Discuss the end of the book. What do you think the future has in store for Kid and Scout?

Rachel | 7 comments Mod
Has anybody had a chance to finish the book, yet?

One of the things I'm most curious about is whether you mentally refer to Kid and Scout as he, she, sie, or something else entirely, and what your reasons are for your choice of pronoun.

Personally, they're both "she" in my head, although I generally correct myself while trying to discuss them. I think it's because of the language of the book. When Kid says "you," I relate it to myself, and when Kid says "I," I relate to that as well. As a self-professed female, I end up applying myself to the characters and they both come out as girls.

How about you?

message 4: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (lamotte) | 1 comments What is the next book going to be?