Reading the Bible discussion

Wisdom Literature > Ecclesiastes

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colt (new)

Colt (colt32) | 6 comments Ecclesiastes, which was written by Solomon, is one of my favorites of the Old Testament that I have read through.
It sounds depressing and sad when you read through it because Solomon keeps saying EVERYTHING you do is vanity (I think of the term pointless). It goes on and on about how it is but near the end it brightens up, becuase it says that God has given you these vanities. I'm reading it a second and will probably read it a third time through since I learn something new each time.
If you haven't read it I really suggest you try it, and feel free to point out Scripture or anything that draws you towards re-reading the verse or passage

message 2: by Colt (new)

Colt (colt32) | 6 comments Its called Everything Has Its Time
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
I've seen some good sermons use this one. It is comforting though but notcmy most favorite though

message 3: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Darling | 102 comments Mod
Even the Byrds did a song based on this passage, and I've seen some wonderful artwork based on it.

message 4: by Colt (new)

Colt (colt32) | 6 comments And that's why Solomon is known for the do as I say not what I do summarization haha

message 5: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Darling | 102 comments Mod
Eugene Peterson is pretty good at choosing startling figures of speech in his version. I generally like the Message, but ometimes it's good, and sometimes I find it distracting. Just my opinion. In this case, I think it presents the passage with appropriate force. Solomon was no monk, that's for sure.