Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Irish Princess
This topic is about The Irish Princess
Group Read Discussions > Feb/Mar '12 Group Read: The Irish Princess by Karen Harper

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3676 comments Mod
'Ello all.. Time for the Feb/March group read.

Be sure to mark all spoilers!

message 2: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 38 comments might check this out idk. right now I have like 300 books on my TBR list. aka books I have spend money on but never read. SMH

Lindsay (archerlindsay) | 10 comments So even though I joined this club awhile ago this is actually only my first group read so if I get this wrong please be patient with me!

I am about half way through The Irish Princess now and so far I can't say I love it but I don't hate it either.

I can't say that I really care a whole lot what happens to this character at this moment and the parts of the book I enjoy most are the dialoge. I think I would be more interested to read this book if it were from the perspective of Magheen.

I realize that at the half way point Gera's character is still quite young but I find her actions frustrating and overly childish.

I am going to continue reading the novel to it's conclusion but those are my thoughts so far....

am I doing this right?

message 4: by Sarah Louise (new)

Sarah Louise (keytan) She is childish, I wish her character would develop a little more. But yeah it's kinda of an 'eh' book but I'm only a third of the way through. I still have hope for this book. (then again I've read some pretty terrible stuff in hope it'll get better)

Lindsay (archerlindsay) | 10 comments Hello, me again... I finished the book - sort of and this is my last thought. I am sorry if I come across overly negative but this was a huge disappointment to me. Let me be clear, while I review books, I openly acknowledge the fact that I am not an author and the reason is because I lack anything related to talent so I feel I must always give benefit of the doubt because who am I to judge. All the same, the following is my review from the actual book page it's self. Hope I am not breaking any rules!

Ugggg! That's it, I tap out. I made it more than three quarters of the way through this book and I won't waste another moment. I enjoyed the dialoge and the romance story was vaguely interesting. The rest needed much tuning!

The main character started by being childish and when I left her she was flat. This view of history (which, don't be fooled, has little do with Irish history despite the title) during Tudor England is too far removed to truely be interesting. The "main" charactes of the time (HENRY, BOLYEN etc..) are just a passing whim with barely a meeting or a real tidbit about them so therefore you don't really care whether a queen looses her head or not.

My opinion is that this book was not worth the time and there are far better books out there about Tudor England.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments hey Lindsay - feel free to share your opinion as much as you want :) we're all entitled to one.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I plan on starting it pretty soon...now with much lower expectations.

message 8: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new) - added it

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Lindsay, we welcome all opinions. You won't get flamed just because you didn't like it :)

Lindsay (archerlindsay) | 10 comments Ahh I feel better now. Sorry I am really new to this and have never done an in-person book club so I don't know how or what is discussed. I always feel bad giving a book a low review but sometimes you just have to!

Nicole (Nic_K) | 1 comments I just finished the book. It was OK, but not up to Ms. Harper's other works. For me it left the impression of a series of vignettes rather than a cohesive story. I hadn't heard of Elizabeth Fitzgerald before and this left me wanting to learn more about her.

message 11: by Monique (new)

Monique (thebeautygirl) i started this a couple of days ago {am about 50 pages in} and like most of you, also not really liking it. not sure if it's my lack of knowledge of the time period, the royalty of the time, Tudors, etc., but it hasn't really grabbed me ~ want the story to get going already. will keep reading... :-/

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | -18 comments Hmm. I downloaded the free sample and the first bit seemed rather forced, so I may skip finishing this one. Sometimes authors hit stories out of the park - I'm currently re-reading Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution, which is absolutely brilliant, with it subject, layers, depth and maturity (and I am reading it again for my local book club, because I recommended it after encountering it here) but last month I read Cleopatra's Daughter and was appalled by its inaccuracy and juvenile quality.

Rue  | 7 comments Waiting for it to come in at the library, and now I'm a little bummed about the reviews. But hey, that's why I borrow instead of buy.

message 14: by Evan (new)

Evan (medieval_geek) | 25 comments I've bought it so I will read it, but suddenly feeling rather less annoyed with myself that I haven't picked it up yet... will come back with comments... I have read some of the author's other books and I can kind of relate the comments so far with what I remember of those, and at least I hadn't been expecting an absolute top-rate read anyway

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 138 comments This book is taking me much longer than I would have thought to read. It is mildly interesting and there are parts that I really liked, but really it seems to drag and I just want to get it finished.

I was really excited to read this book, since it's from the point of view of someone from Ireland and I've never read a Tudor book with such a "unique" point of view. However, I think the reason people don't use this view is because it's not that exciting and not enough court action. I think Gera is an okay character but I don't have any strong feelings toward her either way.

I have not read any of Karen Harper's books, but I am still interested in reading them, so hopefully they turn out a little better than this one.

I would give it 3 stars because though its not my favorite read, it had some potential and kept me entertained for the most part.

message 16: by Evan (new)

Evan (medieval_geek) | 25 comments Am officially not going to start this one this month - I've got out of the habit of reading, need to get back in, and starting on something I'm not completely enthusiastic about won't help

message 17: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 38 comments Thought I picked this book up while its on sale for 6 dollars on Amazon but accidently got Lily of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter, #1) by Stephanie Dray instead I think its the colors and it being the same price that confused me none the less I've been wanting to read this series and I've heard the author is very good. :)

message 18: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 38 comments What I wouldnt give to be so brilliant I could merge History and fiction together.

April | 3 comments I didn't make it all the way through this book because I had to return it to the library. I thought that it was interesting to hear about Henry VIII's reign through an Irish perspective.

message 20: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary | 1 comments I finished this book last night and was not at all impressed with it. Part of my dislike was for Gera. The end of the book really was the deal breaker for me, not only did I think certain characters have complete personality changes overnight but certain actions of Gera were just bizzare given the culture and time period the novel was based in.

message 21: by J.S. (last edited Mar 17, 2012 10:18AM) (new)

J.S. Dunn (httpwwwjsdunnbookscom) | 29 comments Rebecca wrote: "I sure like the cover on this one: I was just about to put in on my "to read" list but have seen too many negative reviews. :-("

Am going to diasgree with the above and agree with other comments prior to that. The cover is your first clue: this is a cliched and inaccurate representation of anything about Irish history.
( The overly plucked eyebrows ? & Yes, the author does not have much say about the cover. This cover is typical NYC Publisher Kitsch -- and the flaming red hair must be a bad visual pun. )

For starters, Irish social order did NOT have "royalty" so even this title gets it wrong. That is just for starters.

For those who like subgenre HF (eg, romance) and sub-sub-genre HF (eg, poisoning mystery HF which is Harper's ouevre) then this novel is merely adequate. Maybe.

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments I am two-thirds of the way through this. I had high expectations, but it is leaving me rather flat. I will finish it for the group read. I wish Gera's character were more developed. It comes across as a series of incidents rather than an organized plot.

message 23: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new) - added it

Don't feel like you have to force yourself to read this Holly. I was planning on get to it, but after seeing what members had to say I put it at the bottom of the pile and didn't around to it. *shrug*

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments Jackie wrote: "Don't feel like you have to force yourself to read this Holly. I was planning on get to it, but after seeing what members had to say I put it at the bottom of the pile and didn't around to it. *shrug*"
I finished it. I'd leave it where you have it in your pile, Jackie!

message 25: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new) - added it

LOL!