The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > time traveler movie

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Beth | 173 comments I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but a "Time Traveler's Wife" movie is in the works, starring Eric Bana (The Hulk) as Henry and Rachel McAdams (The Notebook) as Clare. Ron Livingston (Sex and the City) is supposed to play Gomez; not who I really picture as him.

message 2: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Hey Beth! I think there may have been some talk of this in the thread related to the book. But, I didn't keep up with it because I didn't re-read the book. I think there was some discussion that Christian Bale would have made a much better Henry (I agree). Rachael McAdams is beautiful and can do anything...Ron Livingston...Office Space, Swingers?? Haha. I guess he's a "serious actor" now (there was a war movie...Band of Brothers?). I can't look at him without thinking a)he's oddly hot b) Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta! (Office Space)

Put a picture of your cute self in that box!!

message 3: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Beth | 173 comments I figured this had already been discussed. I wasn't sure, because I was avoiding the posts related to "TTTW" until I finished the book. Yes, Christian Bale would be fantastic as Henry. (Is "Office Space" not awesome, btw?) I know I need to put a pic of me in the box, but I don't believe there exists one single photograph documenting my existence since my wedding. Maybe I'll put a picture of my cat or one of my dogs in there.

message 4: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Ew. Eric Bana? Ew. So NOT Henry. Way too thick in the body - Henry's a runner, not a body builder. He's supposed to be uber-skinny from all that the traveling takes out of him. Lame.

All I can say is if they don't give McAdams red hair I'll really hate it. The girl they got for the daughter (I saw her picture on IMDB) looks nothing like any of them. Of the millions of child actors, you'd think they could have chosen better.

Lastly, Gomez is supposed to be a blonde with fine Scandinavian features! They must have looked at the name and went with thick eye-browed Livingston.

As for "Damn, it feels good to be a gansta!" Rock on, oh Queen of Quotes. That is a brilliant movie.

And I'm with Beth... it kinda sucked that you guys discussed stuff like that in the spoiler thread. We who are still reading (eh-hem, waited to start the book in the month it was scheduled to be read, eh-hem) at least could be involved in the movie discussion even if we aren't done!

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) It just kind of came up in the other thread, we didn't mean to exclude anyone... it's better that the movie has its own thread. But some of the things we were saying might have given away plot points.

message 6: by Bibliosaurus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Bibliosaurus | 22 comments I think Adrian Brody would make a most excellent Henry. Skinny and sexy. I also think Kate Blanchett or maybe Heather Graham could be Claire. HMM Julianne Moore would be good as well.
Ooh maybe Christopher Walken as Richard. Shannon Sosserman as Henry's mom. Viggo Mortenson/Heath Ledger as Gomez. Sara Ramirez as as Charisse.
Office Space is rather awesome: I do want to express myself and I don't need 37 pieces of flair to do it.

message 7: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Adrian Brody... that works... but Christian Bale was mentioned and I saw him in The Machinist (well, I didn't watch it, but saw a bit of it) and he lost so much weight it was creepy - frightening, really... kind of like how Henry does. Plus, well, he's way hot. But Brody does play understated well. See, tall and skinny are my favorite... so this is WAY fun!!!

I still say a blond for Gomez like the book says... but broad shoulders. Hmm. Got me thinking.

What is HMM? Remember, some of us are text-lingo illiterate (thank God)! Unless it's something to do with the royal family, maybe? But she's not British, so I can't imagine. Hee!

Office Space: "S***. I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months." or "What the f*** is 'PC Load Letter?'" (Sorry about the language, but it's just sooo funny in context!) The best is when they go beat on the printer in the middle of a field. So completely classic!!!

message 8: by Bibliosaurus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Bibliosaurus | 22 comments I meant hmm like uhm because I was thinking and typing. Christian definitely works but I have a thing for Adrian, who did go from skinny to extra skinny in The Pianist. Well, ideally for Gomez I would say Young Val Kilmer.

So many quotes from that movie:
I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.

Back up in your a** with the resurrection.

Yup, definitely time for a re-view. I'm going to put it in my Netflix que right now.

message 9: by Marlo (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Marlo | 6 comments Bibliosaurus- a young Val Kilmer would have been absolutely PERFECT as Gomez!! I think Matthew Davis would make a great Gomez too.

message 10: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
I really like the Adrian Brody suggestion. Just saw him in The Darjeeling Limited - which I thought was quite good - and he was so damn hot. I'll also take Eric Bana though. He's done a lot of other work besides the hulk and he is a talented actor. Plus seeing him show up in places naked is something to look forward to.

message 11: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments My vote would be for Christian Bale. I was really hoping for him. You do need a skinnier type of guy to play the rols because the book constantly refers to Henry's hunger and how skinny he is. I really like McAdams for Clare. I think she is a super talented actress and I think she will do the role justice.

Anyone know a release date or what stage they are in on the making of this?

message 12: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

I want to see The Darjeeling Limited!!!

I just remembered, when I was reading this book, I was picturing Julianne Moore in my head (Bibliosaruous). But, with Christian Bale, we would need a younger actress. I do love Rachael McAdams...not really seen her do much serious acting outside of the Notebook and Red Eye (like I said...not much serious acting). Oh yeah...I forgot it's not Christian Bale. Can we get a petition going?

"The Time Traveler's Wife is a film currently in production based on Audrey Niffenegger's 2003 novel The Time Traveler's Wife. The film will be directed by Robert Schwentke and will star Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams. Filming began in September 2007. No official release date has been set."

"Filming began in Toronto on September 10, 2007."

"Produced by Brad Pitt."

P.S. Office Space never disapoints

message 13: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Meghan Okay, so I was picturing Clare more as an Amy Adams (hello, red hair please!). Rachel McAdams is a very lovely actress but she tends to be very "precious" which is not what I would associate Clare with.

I heart Eric Bana and will suspend disbelief just to watch him wake up nekkid in any scene! HA! And while he has done the buff thing lately (mmmmm Troy), he's by nature on the skinnier side actually. Pretty much unless you're built like Russell Crowe, if you don't hit the heavy weights, any guy can do the skinny muscular thing.

I'm the one who suggested Christian Bale because he can be buff (Batman) or skinny (Machinist). And well, he's hot.

I HEART Viggo! He'd be perfect. Except he's too old. As for a young Kilmer. Yum (not the old Kilmer in Alexander. Gross.) Gomez needs to be a talker. He's a lawyer. An anarchist. But he's suppose to look like a California surfer. I actually think Owen Wilson would be a good Gomez.

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) OMG Owen Wilson would be perfect. Or Paul Walker, or Justin Hartley. Ron Livingston has just been rumored for the part, nothing is confirmed there.

Christian Bale is so not skinny right now though... he's filming another Batman movie as we speak, and he was HUGE in the last one.

message 15: by Bibliosaurus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Bibliosaurus | 22 comments In my mind, Gomez is meant to be slightly intimidating, BIG both in personality and physically. Owen, can make you laugh and talk a good game but I don't see him that way.

Shannon,Adrian in his boxers in Darjeeling - Yum + 3
Despite this, the movie was just kind of ok to me. I loved the sibling rivalry between the brothers. However, I think Anderson failed to use the character of India to its fullest potential, which made me question his motivation to even set the action there. Why bother, if it was only going to be the backdrop to a story?

message 16: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Meghan I read that they shot the movie on a real train and as it's in India, the train could stop at any given moment for a goat or sheep or whathave you that's taking a break on the rails. Anderson said it became very important for them then to get the shots done right and on the first take.

That said, I can't wait for it to be on dvd. I don't think I'm ever going to get to the movie theater ever again. kids. heh

message 17: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Meghan Oh and Sarah, I KNOW. I was soooooooo enjoying Bale as the Dark Knight. See, Batman is FAR superior than Superman. hahaha

But this also shows that even though you can be a bulky character, that doesn't mean you can't slim down for this character either. But I really don't see Bana as Henry, much as I love him. But that's so not going to stop me from going to see this movie!

They better not change the movie too much from teh book though. I hate that when they do that.

And I agree about Gomez. But Owen's the only blonde that I could think of that really fits the physical characterizations. I think Paul Walker is too "pretty" and clean cut for Gomez. No one would believe he's an anarchist.

I'd say McDreamy might do, but he's not blonde and the actor really needs to be a NATURAL blonde. And I think McDreamy's too old for McAdams. (Bana is too old for McAdams. It's starting to borderline creepy. I know there was an age difference in the book, but Bana's like near his 40s and isn't McAdams early 20s? I'm not against big age differences, but I don't know. It just seems a bit weird. That's another reason why Bale is such a good choice. He's in his early 30s.)

message 18: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Beth | 173 comments You know who I see as Gomez? The actor Dash Mihok...not sure if anyone knows who he is, but he was on "Felicity", he was in "The Thin Red Line" and "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang", tons of other movies and TV shows. He is probably best known for dating Alanis Morrissette, and he was in that video with her where they're dancing together in a bunch of different styles across time (I think the song is called "So Pure"). Anyway, I think he is physically quite perfect for Gomez, and a very talented actor. Boy, I could do this for days....one of my favorite parlor games is "who should play him/her in a movie?"

message 19: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Um, Batman is so NOT better than Superman. Hello. They are called SUPERheroes, not BATheroes. And Superman has POWERS, Batman wouldn't be anything if he didn't have money. Plus, you have Tom Welling and Brandon Routh. Yummy yummy yummy. Superman also has that whole geeky-reporter thing going on which is way hot.

We are so going to be having this same debate when we are in our 80s, you know that, don't you?

I agree that Paul Walker is too pretty for Gomez. So is Justin Hartley. But they'd be nice to look at! What about Josh Lucas? Or Matthew McConaughey? Paul Bettany? Actually I think I really like the idea of Paul Bettany.

McDreamy (Patrick Dempsey, who by the way I was right about way back in the 80s when I said he had major hotness potential) wouldn't have to be blond to be Henry, would he? I thought Henry had brown hair. Or was that just how I was picturing him?

I still picture Claire Danes as Clare. Not just because of the name thing, but because I think she can look younger or older and she has red hair.

message 20: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) More Gomez ideas:

Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Edward Norton

message 21: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Tiffany Ok, speaking of McDreamy how cute was he in Can't Buy Me Love back in the 80s?? Love, love, love him in that movie! Sorry, just had to throw my two cents in there. =)

As for Gomez - I'm not partial to blondes so I'll let you ladies continue to debate that one. I'm still on Team Bale though for Henry.

message 22: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Sorry, Sarah, but those last two for Gomez do nothing for me. PSH? Ew! BUT, Paul Bettany is PURRRRRFECT. He can be all the things needed in a Gomez. Plus, YU-HU-HUMMY.

Shannon, I wasn't thinking Bana as Hulk when I said too bulky... I'd forgotten he was in that. I was thinking Chopper. HUGE in that. Ultra-beefcakey. It's more than that, though. He just doesn't suit Henry in my mind.

By the way, am I the only one here who can't get past Adrian Brody's nose? Yikes. Don't get me wrong - great actor, but THE NOSE.

You know what? If Josh Lucas was dark-haired, he'd be pretty good for Henry. Mostly I just pictured someone a little more normal, yet grizzled - and is still handsome, but is more sexy than good-looking... who has an endurance athlete's body. I know people in life like that, but in Hollywood? I guess I'd go for a more obscure actor to fit the part. And there are some GREAT ones that are simply lovely to look at!

I don't know that Paul Walker for Gomez is too pretty, but as the boy really CANNOT act, I'd not vote for him.

Meghan... I'll babysit if you want to go to the movies. Bring her on over!

Oh, I TOTALLY think that Amy Adams would be AMAZING as Clare. She has incredible depth as an actress, can play a wide range of ages, and is not "precious" like McAdams. With her I'm afraid Clare will not be as strong and that the film will be a little melodramatic. I totally love Clair Danes and think she is a great actress, so I'd enjoy her for sure. But Amy would be my initial choice, I think. Or the new chick on Law & Order:Criminal Intent - Logan's (Chris Noth) new partner. Umm... Alicia Witt I think is her name. Red hair and a varied actress. (She's crazy-cool in the show.)

Sigh. Well that was fun!

message 23: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

O.K. Beth I looked up Dash Mihok. He's a cutie. I don't remember him from Felicity. He kind of looks like a cuter Will Ferrell (in one picture I saw).

Are you sure we're still talking about Gomez candidates and that this is not just an excuse to talk about hot guys? It's been a while since I read TTTW, and I don't even remember Gomez, but I vote Josh Lucas. He has great range (Frailty, anyone?) and he is the Paul Newman of our generation (O.K., could be, with the right roles).

For the record, McAdams is 29, Bana is 39, and Bale is 33. I have been anti-Bana throughout these proceedings, but I did just catch his picture on Wikipedia and....I may be changing my mind.

message 24: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Hmm (hehe), I agree about Dash Mihok as Gomez actually, but he would have to be on the slimmer side of his spectrum for this role. Good suggestion on him, I never would have thought of him. I actually do think that Paul Walker would fit well too, while pretty, he can also be a bit of a jerk in some things I have seen him in, and I think Gomez has that 'jerk that you like anyway' quality.

I still say Bana, and I know he can be thin enough for the role, and I can completely envision him as a punk guy in combat boots and all that. I love Julianne Moore for Clare, but agree that she is not the right age for the role. I do like Claire Danes. But I almost think it would be best if it was played by a lesser known actress. OR maybe that girl form Six Feet Under, the redhead, what is her name????

message 25: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Ah, Lauren Ambrose. Ironically, her character on Six Feet Under was named Claire!

message 26: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Erica - Lauren Ambrose is definitely someone I thought of for the role because of her red hair and because of her character name Clare. But I don't know if I would enjoy her in that role.

Biblio - yes totally agreeing on the Adrian Brody in the boxers. He is definitely not what you would characterize as general consensus hot. But those eyes are amazing. There is this presence to him that draws you in. I have a feeling he would be really good (in bed). As for the movie, some of Anderson's films I don't enjoy so much for the story. I'm never totally satisfied in most of his movies. But I generally really enjoy the odd characters he creates and overall I don't mind if the end isn't completely satisfying. Also I enjoy the sibling rivalry. I'm the oldest of five with two sisters and could at times relate to Owen Wilson's character on that level. I take annual road trips with my sisters and generally end up taking most of the initiative in planning. Good times!

message 27: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Phillip Seymour Hoffman is not good looking, I'll admit, but I think he'd be great as the communist Gomez. I don't remember anything about Gomez being a hottie, at least I never pictured him that way.

message 28: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments I don't picture Gomez as that good looking either. I don't know who I picture him as, but in my mind he is just not what I would call smoking hot! I checked imdb.com and it is just "rumored" about Ron Livingston (at least on that site) and I thought it was interesting that Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt bought the rights to this movie before the book was even released to the public. That's a leap of faith!

message 29: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Hey, someone knew a good thing when they saw it!

message 30: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Beth | 173 comments Yes, Alison, this discussion is definitely disintegrating into just a review of hot guys. I give a resounding "NO" to Paul Walker as Gomez. He is about as charismatic as a paper plate. I am kind of growing into the idea of Eric Bana as Henry. Those scenes in "Munich" with his wife...wow! He would have to de-bulk a little to get the physicality right.

Josh Lucas as the Paul Newman of our generation? Interesting. I definitely think he is underused.

message 31: by Sera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Sera I would figure that this would be a tough movie to make with all of the jumping around back and forth. Nevertheless, I love Rachel as Clare, but I'm not sure about Bana as Henry. I was thinking more along the lines of Luke Wilson. I also like the idea of Paul B. as Gomez. Remember him in A Beautiful Mind - he plays a great "friend", and he has that awesome sarcastic way about him that would play well in the movie. What about Paul Newman as Henry's father? There are many other characters in the book; I'm wondering who they will cut out. I hope that they don't mess it up.

message 32: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Meghan Sera, you took the words write out of my, um, fingers! I was so going to say that Paul Bettany would be a great Gomez because I could totally picture him "best friends" with Henry while still lusting after Clare.

I love PSH because intellectually I think he would be brilliant as Gomez. But physically, I can't really see Clare going for him.

I like Alicia Witt but her character on L&O:CI is too ball buster so I can't picture her softer for Clare. I like Loren Ambrose too. But I'd take any real red head over a blonde. I'm just picky about stuff like that.

message 33: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I saw a photo of McAdams on set as Clare (in a wedding dress, so guess which scene they were filming?) and her hair looked kinda red but not really. More brownish.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/C...

But if they're already filming, how can they not have the full cast announced? Maybe they are only filming Henry/Clare scenes?

message 34: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

According to wikipedia, at least this cast is determined...

"Cast: Eric Bana, a Chicago librarian.
Rachel McAdams, an artist.
Ron Livingston as the librarian's friend and a liberal attorney who works for nonprofit organizations."

Not sure how accurate that is.

I think she looks beautiful as Clare. Still not sure about chemistry b/t RM & EB??

message 35: by Sera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Sera Oooh, she looks fabulous as Clare. Looks like a good choice on that one.

message 36: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Hey, I just read an old interview with Audrey, and guess who she had wanted to do the role of Henry? Adrien Brody! Interesting. Some of you had that one pegged!

message 37: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Bibliosaurus nailed it. "Skinny and sexy," I think she said.

message 38: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments It's always interesting to see how an author pictures their characters. It just surprises me that she chose Adrien Brody. Just the opposite of what I had pictured. He is sexy, but different from what I had in my mind...

message 39: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I really pictured someone older. But I guess for a movie, it doesn't really matter because you can age them, and "real time" Henry starts out at only 28.

message 40: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Meghan You know, it's interesting about the casting is that if you really think about it, Henry is pretty much 38-43 throughout the book. They go back to 28 when they deal with when they first meet, but when Henry's going back throughout Clare's childhood, he's always much older. So casting Bana is pretty decent because he's in his late 30s/early 40s.

message 41: by Sera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Sera I was watching the previews before Ocean's Thirteen the other night and one was Lucky You with Eric Bana and Drew Barrymore. I thought "oh my gosh, he is Henry"! I've completely changed my mind about Bana playing the part. I think that he is going to pull it off in spades.

message 42: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

I THOUGHT OF THE PERFECT GOMEZ!!!

Aaron Eckhart!

I think he fits Gomez to a "T!!" In fact, now I can't imagine Gomez any other way! He did that "Thank You for Smoking," too, so there you go! LOL Seriously, he's absolutely perfect for the role in my opinion. (And I'm not like a fan or anything, so it's not because of that.)

message 43: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Beth | 173 comments You are a stinkin' genius. How did I not think of Aaron Eckhart? I totally love him. A perfect Gomez. His character in "In the Company of Men"....oooohhh. Possibly the most infuriating movie character of all time.

message 44: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

And he's already starred in Possession, so he likes the book to movie thing...

message 45: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Meghan OMG! That IS the perfect choice. He's hot but can do the semi-sleezy thing (Thank you for smoking, anyone?). Oh and he's hot.

message 46: by Marie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Marie Farrell | 4 comments So fun that I just joined the club that is reading the book I'm just about to start reading! Yeah! And I finally watched the finale of Gilmore Girls a few days ago. It's meant to be!

message 47: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Marie! So glad you're here! We have a blast chatting about everything under the sun - but especially our books and our Gilmore Girls! Once you finish the book, add your comments and ignite more discussion - even if the month is over. I love thinking about things a while down the road and having that new perspective. Anyway, yea! Dig right in!