Historical Info for Historical Fiction Readers discussion

Discussion of HistFic Books > Question for everyone out there! (Greek Mythology)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Avocado (new)

Avocado | 22 comments Hi, I apologize for not knowing which category to place this into. I just have a question. Does anybody know any good historical fiction/fantasy surrounding Greek mythology? I'd love to read more about the Gods and Goddesses. I also love Norse mythology as well, so if anybody can reccommend some of that, too, I would be grateful.

Thanks everyone! :)

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 12 comments There are a lot of novels on the Trojan War.

Fred Saberhagen has a series: Book of the Gods

Marion Zimmer Bradley has one called The Firebrand

You'll also find some with author David Gemmell

Here's a bunch on Helen of Troy:

Helen of Troy
Nobody's Princess (YA)
The Memoirs of Helen of Troy: A Novel
Helen's Daughter

There's the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan but it's young adult.

Here's one on Norse Mythology: Loki

James Lovegrove has a SF series based on Norse Mythology.

The Odin Chronicle looks like Kindle only.

How much of any of these involve actual Gods and Goddess though will vary.

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Amira wrote: "Hi, I apologize for not knowing which category to place this into. I just have a question. Does anybody know any good historical fiction/fantasy surrounding Greek mythology? I'd love to read more a..."

I am assuming that the obvious options, like the Iliad, Odyssey and Beowulf have been considered?

message 4: by V.R. (new)

V.R. Christensen (vrchristensen) | 46 comments Rebecca Lochlann has just released her debut novel "The Year-god's Daughter". It isn't exactly Greek, it's set in Crete, but it does deal with the same themes and takes a well studied yet hypothetical look at what a female dominated Crete might have been like. I highly recommend it. It's part of a series, and the second is set to be released in April I think. I found it utterly breathtaking. I've seen a review copy of the second book, and it was equally stunning.
The Year-god's Daughter The Year-god's Daughter  by Rebecca Lochlann

message 5: by Eugenia (new)

Eugenia O'Neal (eoneal) | 3 comments Hello - there's Euryale which I really liked and A. S. Byatt has come out with Ragnarok which I haven't yet read but which looks fascinating.

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia O'Sullivan | 36 comments It is a YA, but Icefall is a great Norse story by Matthew Kirby. For a longer read about the Norse people there is The Settlers of Catan by Rebecca Gable. Neither of these are exclusively about the gods, but mythology figures into the story lines quite a bit.

message 7: by Avocado (new)

Avocado | 22 comments WOW, Thank you so much for all the WONDERFUL recommendations everyone! I really appreciate all the contributions! Now I have so much to look forward to :)

message 8: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 31 comments OMG!! Totally seconding the recommendation of The Year-god's Daughter. If you are looking for a book that deals with gods and goddesses, you'll love this one. I did! Here's my review of it on my blog: http://lavenderironside.blogspot.com/...

message 9: by V.R. (new)

V.R. Christensen (vrchristensen) | 46 comments I hope Rebecca sees this. She's a huge fan of yours, Lavender, and she's having a rather down day.

message 10: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 31 comments Aww, I am too flattered. REBECCA! HAVE A BETTER DAY!!! *hugs*

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccalchildoftheerinyes) | 4 comments Thank you both! I want to state emphatically that Lavender and I have never met: we don't know each other except that as happens, we have read each others books because we're both interested in our respective subjects. So I hope no one will get angry or suspicious if I now take this opportunity to also recommend The Sekhmet Bed. I have a review of it here on GR and I meant every word I said about it. This book really did open my eyes in a new way about how engaging historical fiction CAN BE when it's written with a skilled hand. Too much of the historical fiction I've read has been dry and tedious. The Sekhmet Bed has made me resolved to never force myself through another dull historical novel.

The Sekhmet Bed

Hey: can anyone recommend entertaining well written Norse fiction? I would LOVE to read more of that! I did add a little Norse mythology to my final book (not yet published) but not a lot. Loved the research. There are wonderful opportunities for writers there, I think.

message 12: by Laura (last edited Feb 26, 2012 06:46PM) (new)

Laura Gill | 24 comments Robin wrote: "There are a lot of novels on the Trojan War.

Fred Saberhagen has a series: Book of the Gods

Marion Zimmer Bradley has one called The Firebrand

You'll..."

Thank you! I'm flattered that you mentioned Helen's Daughter.

There's Alcestis which has Hermes, Hades, and Persephone as characters. There are a lot more books that feature characters from Greek legend, though:

Victoria Grossack's books about Pelops and Niobe, and Jocasta: The Mother-Wife of Oedipus. Colleen McCollough's The Song of Troy. Mary Renault's two books about Theseus. Lindsey Davis's The Return from Troy, about Odysseus. Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad, about Penelope.