Love Inspired Historicals discussion

book topics

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Do you find you tend to find you read several books with similar themes?

Last year it seemed I read quite a few with an orphan or street kid. From Janet Deans (I forget the title) Stealing Jake by Pam Hillman, A Long Trail Home by Vickie McDonough to name a few. a couple were kids who were forced to steal to live or were left in an orphanage and sometimes treated poorly.

This year the theme seems to be underground railways or slavery. I have read 3 books featuring people helping the slaves and now one featuring slaves escaping.

message 2: by Cecelia (new)

Cecelia (goodreadscomcecelia_dowdy) | 68 comments Hmm. I wonder if these are hot topics that the publishers were seeking?

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy I recently read two books in a row that each had a man who lost his wife to cancer and a woman who survived cancer. They were each original but it was unique that I happened to read them right after each other. They were both good by the way!

message 4: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
This is an interesting topic, Ausjenny -- especially because (to come out in the same year or so) the books would have to be written without the knowledge of the others.

I'm going to have to search out the underground railway ones as that has always interested me.

message 5: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 15, 2012 01:28PM) (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I've read lots of Mail ordered bride books or ones that deal with Civil war and the underground railroad. I guess it depends on what mood i am in. But, I usually stick with real life historical events for historical fiction and with contemporary I like the Small town and close families.

message 6: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments The books are not all this year one was a few years ago. last years were all the one year.

Janet one was in the barbour quaker christmas novella, one was a heartsong presents book and the last is the new book by Rosslyn Elliott.
The latest book was actually Warring Spirits which deals with a negro fort in Florida. The next book will probably be in texas!

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I tend to read similar books together too. But typically its more the same type or romance or time period for example the last book I read was a book that had 3 valentine novellas set during the Regency time and the book I am currently reading is during the Regency time. I haven't decided if I am going to dig out another Regency or swith to something else.

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
It does seem like there is a certain serendipity when it comes to story situations. I've written books with a certain situation only to find one or two others coming out with similar elements. Sometimes you can trace the reason - I know of a bunch of royal romances out, inspired by the royal wedding last year. Other times I'm not sure what sparked it.

What always amazes me though is how even very similar story situations can become totally different books when handled by different authors. I recently read a blurb for a book that sounded identical to one of my old ones. A viscount making a marriage of convenience with the woman who was carrying his dead brother's child. In both stories, the heroine was a vicar's daughter. But I read the other book and from the very first page it was a totally different story.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments LOL speaking of royal romances that is my current reading list. I read the first two books in Rachelle McCalla's Reclaming the Crown series over the weekend. Now I am working on the Cowboy Royale continuity that came out last year by Harlequin Intrigue.

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance wrote: "LOL speaking of royal romances that is my current reading list. I read the first two books in Rachelle McCalla's Reclaming the Crown series over the weekend. Now I am working on the Cowboy Royale c..."

I just read Protecting the Princess yesterday by Rachelle. That is such a good series so far.
Laura- there is a free prequel to those books. I think it is on the harlequin site.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Nelson (jessicanelson) | 27 comments Yep, I agree. I've heard agents tend to get submissions along similar trends too.

message 12: by JanetTronstad (new)

Speaking of Rachelle McCalla's books -- I have a guest author section in my Dry Creek discussion group and take suggestions from readers on authors they would like to have come visit. We ask the authors questions and they answer (I've learned some new things myself about people). If anyone wants to drop over and suggest Rachelle, I'd be happy to invite her to visit there (I would invite her for her, but we're the historical group).

message 13: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I read another regency this weekend while the book is good I still am not a fan of the era and I know why know. Its the aristocracy, its there attitude that annoys me I guess. I like the books not dealing so much with the upperclass. While I know they are good books I know its not my era.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments I just finished Rachelle's book, too. Love royalty stories! I wonder if Love Inspired will allow any more of those? I hope so.

message 15: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments That is the LIS book isn't it. I love the cover and the idea of the story.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Judy wrote: ".I just read Protecting the Princess yesterday by Rachelle. That is such a good series so far.
Laura- there is a free prequel to those books. I think it is on the harlequin site.
.."

I will have to check it out. And I agree with you Ausjenny the covers are really good.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance wrote: "LOL speaking of royal romances that is my current reading list. I read the first two books in Rachelle McCalla's Reclaming the Crown series over the weekend. Now I am working on the Cowboy Royale c..."

I just got them on my Kindle. I am picky about my LIS books! lol This series looked really good though!

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Jennifer, are you reading the new Fitzgerald Bay series? I read the first one and really liked it. Haven't gotten the second one yet. It started in January.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Karen wrote: "Jennifer, are you reading the new Fitzgerald Bay series? I read the first one and really liked it. Haven't gotten the second one yet. It started in January."

No, but I saw that one too! I think I would like that one as well. I will have to download it

message 20: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I notice there seems to be alot of regency's out at present to or is that my imgination.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "I notice there seems to be alot of regency's out at present to or is that my imgination."

I noticed that too. And Amish themed ones are big

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bolen | 74 comments Ausjenny wrote: "I notice there seems to be alot of regency's out at present to or is that my imgination."I believe you're right. I know my senior editor at Love Inspired Historicals has begun to persue Regency authors to come over to her line. She came after me, and I was happy to write "clean" romance. I believe the line intends to put out a Regency a month now. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

message 23: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments while I have liked the regency's i have read I probably wont buy to many of them. I didn't like the era alot before and I guess I struggle with the class system and the pompous attitude of many of the aristocracy. I know the books are well written and many love them. As they say everyone has there books they really like and I have to say I prefer some of the other era's better.
I am that way with amish now. While I really love some of the books I have found many are similar and I dont enjoy them as much as I first did.

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Ausjenny, what's your favorite era? Just curious. :)

message 25: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments its hard to say I love the Civil war era, I love the pioneer era. (I live books set in the west with the hardships) I love the Prairie era. I do like the WW1 and WW2 books also.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "while I have liked the regency's i have read I probably wont buy to many of them. I didn't like the era alot before and I guess I struggle with the class system and the pompous attitude of many of ..."

See that's what I love about the Regency era. I love knowing that there are some out there who buck the system and find love despite social status/class system. Guess that's why I love Jane Austen so much. She went against the structures of society and challenged them during her time.

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "its hard to say I love the Civil war era, I love the pioneer era. (I live books set in the west with the hardships) I love the Prairie era. I do like the WW1 and WW2 books also."

I love War books! lol

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments It doesn't seem to me that there are many LIH civil war era books. Am I wrong? I like pioneer/westerns and Regencies (if done well). Love Jane Austen! I guess that's why my heroines are frequently reading her books. ;)

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Karen wrote: "It doesn't seem to me that there are many LIH civil war era books. Am I wrong? I like pioneer/westerns and Regencies (if done well). Love Jane Austen! I guess that's why my heroines are frequently ..."

There's a few, but not many. I don't know if it's because the lack of interest or the fact that they don't know if it will sell well. I would read them!

message 30: by Carla (new)

Carla Capshaw (carlacapshaw) | 987 comments Mod
Karen wrote: "It doesn't seem to me that there are many LIH civil war era books. Am I wrong? I like pioneer/westerns and Regencies (if done well). Love Jane Austen! I guess that's why my heroines are frequently ..."

***Karen, LIH doesn't publish the Civil War era except in rare circumstances like Elizabeth's White's Redeeming Gabriel & Crescent City Courtship.

message 31: by Joy (new)

Joy I tend to read alot of stories where the character was in a bad situation (whether forced or by choice) and gets a chance to turn his/her life around. I like seeing how they overcome adversity to find happiness.

message 32: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I have read a few books this year featuring the underground railway. I would love some LIH featuring this I know Lyn Cote wrote one.

I haven't read Jane Austin.

There isn't alot during the revolutionary war either. I loved the 2 Linda Ford wrote during the depression Canada.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "I have read a few books this year featuring the underground railway. I would love some LIH featuring this I know Lyn Cote wrote one.

There isn't alot during the revo..."

Pride and Prejudice is my fav! MMmmm Mr. Darcy!

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments I haven't read those, Carla. So either they believe the era doesn't sell well or not many authors choose it?

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Jennifer, which movie version do you like best? I like Colin Firth, but I have to say I like the Keira Knightley version best. That *almost* kissing scene in the rain is amazing! I would love to visit that place someday.

message 36: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bolen | 74 comments Ausjenny wrote: "I have read a few books this year featuring the underground railway. I would love some LIH featuring this I know Lyn Cote wrote one.

There isn't alot during the revo..."
ausjenny, get thee to the cyberstore and get Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Best book ever! I think you can even get it as a free read...

message 37: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Im sorry but if Pride and Prejudice is anything like the movie I dont want to read it. I didn't like the movie and definitely wouldn't watch it again.
I guess its like gone with the wind everyone raves about the movie and to me it was sure torture to have to watch it.
Im quite happy to watch charles dickens.

message 38: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bolen | 74 comments And Dickens doesn't do it for me!

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Im sorry but if Pride and Prejudice is anything like the movie I dont want to read it. I didn't like the movie and definitely wouldn't watch it again.
I guess its like gone with the wind everyone ..."

You have to read the books. The movies don't do it justice. Especially if you saw the Kiera Knightly version. I hated the new version!

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Karen wrote: "Jennifer, which movie version do you like best? I like Colin Firth, but I have to say I like the Keira Knightley version best. That *almost* kissing scene in the rain is amazing! I would love to vi..."

LOVE COLIN FIRTH! hehehehe, just don't like how the new one portrayed Mr. Darcy. Too soft for me. Colin Firth played him well, and they stuck to the storyline better than the new one. Plus, when he comes up out of the water and sees Elizabeth...yummy! I have a thing when I see books that have been turned into movies. If it doesn't fit the book well, then I have issues. Did the same with some of the HP movies. They left some important stuff out in the movies that were in the books.

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments It must be so difficult to adapt a book to movie form! A tricky art, for sure. I didn't read or watch any of the Harry Potter movies. But I will admit to being a Twilight fan. I came into it late, watched the movies before reading the books and that worked well for me as I could easily visualize the characters.
You're right, that water scene was inspired. :)

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I have only seen the new version of Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightly. I dragged my brother and mom to see it. They weren't thrilled but I enjoyed it. I might have to see the one with Colin Firth.

Jennifer I have the same issues with some of the Harry Potter movies. The sixth one definately left out a lot of the story line.

message 43: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylstjohn) | 222 comments I always chalk this up to the idea spores that are floating in the air. LOL

message 44: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylstjohn) | 222 comments Me too, Joy! I love an underdog story.

message 45: by JanetTronstad (new)

Speaking of books that are made into movies, has anyone seen the Janet Evanovich movie 'One for the Money'? I was thinking of going to see it as as reward for finishing my latest manuscript and then couldn't find it playing anywhere around and saw it had gotten very mixed reviews (not that that would stop me from seeing it, but thought it might explain why I can't find it playing close).

message 46: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments I haven't seen it, Janet, but was interested in going. I haven't read the books. Have you?

message 47: by JanetTronstad (new)

Yes, I have read the books, Karen (at least the earlier ones in the series). Janet Evanovich has a great sense of humor in her books.

message 48: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments no but then I dont see to many movies its over 3 years since I last went to the movies.

message 49: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Janet, the trailer looks interesting. Let us know what you think of it if you go.

Ausjenny, I don't get to the movies often either. If I had a regular babysitter, I would go more, especially as we have a military theater on base and it's cheap. Like $2 a ticket and and same for snacks. We mostly watch them at home.

message 50: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments wow $2 is cheap here its around $15 a ticket

« previous 1