Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

Asking for a little help with editions

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy | 27 comments Hello,
I'm kinda new to the works of Agatha Christie, in fact I've only read one book so far. I really enjoyed it though except for one thing: the font was so small it was almost unreadable. These editions are a good looking series, but I'd really like something a little easier to read. Does anyone here have these particular books? Are they all the same microscopic text? The published date leads me to believe they are.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31306
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

Thanks for taking the time to check.

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4562 comments Mod
I have Murder at the Vicarage as a Kindle. I think it's loanable. I have the Kindle software on my laptop but don't actually own a Kindle. The software is free on Amazon.com. So if you can read on your computer, you'll be able to manage the font size. If you have a PDF or Nook or Kindle, all those you can read on your computer and adjust the font size. Barnes and Noble also has free downloadable software so you can read on your computer (which I also do). I'm too cheap to buy 3 types of readers - what's up with that! Murder was a free book, so you can see if there are others.

I know that libraries do carry a lot of large print books, so they should have Agatha Christie's books. I can order my library books online and it will let me know if it's large print. Sometimes there's no queue for the large print books so I'll order those. I love that I don't need my glasses to read them.

Also, you can download some ebooks from your library onto your computer and you can adjust the font size. See if your library has any of her books as ebooks.

I hope all this helps Andy. If you'd like to borrow my Kindle Murder at the Vicarage book, private message me with your e-mail address and I can send it over to you. I'm pretty sure it's lendable.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy | 27 comments Carolyn, thanks for your kind offer. :-D
I've been kinda kicking around the idea of a Kindle for a couple years, but so far, I've resisted. I HAVE downloaded the PC Kindle to re-read some of my old favorites and some classics that aren't available in print anymore, but if you'd looked at my profile, you'd see I have 1,934 books. I own almost all of them, with duplicates that I like to keep as "loaners" or ones that I mistakenly re-ordered.

I've always had a weakness for series or sequels or prequels, but if at all possible, they have to LOOK like a series, too. This was why I liked the Signet books with the picture at the top and the black band at the bottom, but the little font is too small to be enjoyable. I have a couple other shelves I'm trying to fill, to see what's available.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. :-)

message 4: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 16, 2012 01:36AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5191 comments I have found that the larger libraries do have Agatha Christie in large print or can find it for you in their systems and you can out a hold on the book.

And if a choice be it getting a kindle where you can change the size of the print may be a good idea for you.

Also available are big print books to buy by just looking up big print books on the computer. May have to scour for Agatha.

I totally understand your dilema. When I first saw many of her pocket books I was stunned. You needed a magnifying glass to read them.

Good luck on your search.

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 0 comments Andy, I definitely understand wanting to own them in editions with a readable font size. Most sites let you preview a section of the book so you might be able to get an idea of font size from that. Other than going in person to Barnes & Noble or its equivalent in your area I don't know how else you would be able to check on it.