The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

General > Should we have Group Shelves?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
A few members were talking about the confusion of having books on group shelves that are being read by multiple people. I wanted to start a discussion to get your feedback on how the group shelves are working and not working and what can change.

What should we do about books that are on multiple shelves? Currently, I have the group set so that anyone can add books to this group's shelves. I can change it so only I can add books but I think this would create more work and confusion.

I think the real question is how we want to handle having books on the group shelves. The advantages of having group shelves are that you can see what every one is reading. Another advantage is that people won't join this group and see empty shelves! The disadvantages are that it's very confusing if the book should be on the read, to-read, or currently-reading shelf. Another disadvantage is that it's more work if you are keeping track of your books in this group and in your personal profile.

So I'd like your feedback. Are group bookshelves beneficial? Should we have rules? Should we get rid of them all together? What would work best for you?

message 2: by Kayci (last edited Feb 14, 2012 05:27PM) (new)

Kayci (kayci24) I actually don't see the benefit of everyone having a shelf in the group. We already have a dusty books thread where people can list and talk about the books in that respect.

Based on the Eragon and Arthurian discussions, I think we're heading in a more organized direction. So on that note, perhaps we could do some theme reads, since not everyone's dusty books are going to overlap.

If we went the themed route, we could use the group poll function and decide what themes have the most support/dusty books to be read, and use the group shelves accordingly.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) What I've done in a group I moderate is there is one folder where everyone can add an individual thread to track their own challenges. Anyone can add a book to the group shelves, but only the moderator can add a book as "currently-reading" so that it appears on the group homepage. That's reserved for our featured author of the month.

It all depends on how you want to work things here.

message 4: by Book Concierge (last edited Feb 16, 2012 08:06PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Having now read the other thread with the confusion / issues with the Group Shelves ...

I would vote for restricting the Group Shelf
1) access only by the administrator/moderator of the group
2) List only group reads

Start a section where people track their progress with individual threads and that's where we'd see what others have read.

While I appreciate the ability to include a link to other sites (including blogs) where members might have posted a review, quite honestly, I never click those links. I'm already on THIS site and in THIS group and would just as soon read the review here.

But that's just my opinion.

message 5: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) | 491 comments Mod
The first bit sounds good: we do already have a thread to discuss our own dusty reads - and if the group shelves are causing an issue (I've noticed one with Hunchback of Notre-Dame ;D ) then maybe it'd be best to restrict which books are on and which aren't (just buddy/group reads)and who has access to them.

As for the reviews - I must confess to being the total opposite - I'd rather someone kept their reviews to their own place (even just the link to the GR review bit on a book's page) than have to trawl through the posts on here, it gives me a choice of whether I want to read them or not.

I've also noticed some people then try to tie in the ability to post the reviews on other threads too - as long as there's some word link or other (eg: what are you reading/just read) they see it as an excuse to post their entire review there too, at least links take up less room, tres annoying to skim over! but that's just my opinion :) It's good to share opinions so we can all understand where the other is coming from :D

message 6: by Orla (new)

Orla (orlathewitch) Hayley has a point. Reviews in threads where it isn't relevant can be really annoying but having a group shelf might encourage people to read the same books rather than everyone always reading different things and we would have better discussions on them.

message 7: by Hayley (new)

I think it might be an idea if - where we have a lot of people reading the same book (I can't go check at the moment as am at work for another few hours but would be more than happy to later on) we could see if most, if not all, of these readers would like to arrange it so that the book can be read around the same time as a group read; whereas if there are only a handful we could maybe suggest people to join up for a buddy read and organise a Buddy Read sub-forum so we can have the threads for each book there.

This would obviously only be if these people want to change the order they read in. I'm one of those people who has my TBR shelf in almost the exact order I want to read so would be one of the awkward people who's slight OCD tendencies mean I'd not be able to change it around :S

I'd be more than happy to find time to go through the bookshelves and try to sort it out :)

This is just an idea, but could work - and that way it may also help towards sorting out the shelves issue somewhat.

message 8: by Kayci (new)

Kayci (kayci24) I think your idea is a good one, Hayley, but perhaps not practical? This group has 360+ people now...it would take a great deal of time.

If we were to try and organize group and buddy reads (which I totally support) I think the easiest way would be through group polling, or use the dusty read thread and ctrl+f to see how many people list a certain book as a TBR.

The latter idea assumes that people, like myself, who haven't posted their dusty reading list could be persuaded to do so.

message 9: by Hayley (new)

Kayci wrote: "...or use the dusty read thread and ctrl+f to see how many people list a certain book as a TBR."

That was the plan - I was going to do that, plus, whilst there may be 360 members it seems, in total, there are only 267 books, a lot of crossovers. The aims are to have an easy way to organise the shelves that also would cut out the fact that right now people are having issues with book changes in their shelves not implemented by them.

If you haven't posted your dusty shelf then obviously your own book choices wouldn't show up even with the way you're suggesting, and a group poll will come into it once we have an idea of books that are up there etc.

message 10: by Hayley (new)

Sorry, quick extra - with 368 members we only have 28 individual's bookshelves... so 340 w/out dusty books (not sure if curious or grateful ;P).

I'm guessing that the thing with a group read poll would be which books to choose at a time - with that many members the range of suggestions could be varied.

Buddy reads are easier - if we want a buddy read, go on the thread and give a shout out, or if someone mentions they're going to strat a book that you want to read then obv just ask to buddy up.

I think tho' that maybe something needs to be sorted where everyone can help do a clear/sort out.

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Since you were curious, Hayley... The reason I have not created a shelf in the Group Books section is that I have over 50 books in my challenge and I did not think the extra time needed to create a second shelf was warranted. I do, after all, have a shelf devoted to the challenge on my profile page -- That should be sufficient. However, if we change things around so that the bookshelves are themed or something like that, I might add my books to the relevant shelves.

message 12: by Hayley (new)

Thanks Catherine (I did say I wasn't sure if I was curious OR gratefule for there not being 368).

The only reason I mentioned it is - if the mod goes for group reads in a bid to stop the indiv. shelves mix up (ie: someone changes their book to 'read' but it's also changed on someone else's shelf who hasn't read it yet) and decide to take an idea of which ones to put up for vote as group reads from the shelf then there are 340 members whos own selection won't be counted, but that was an 'if' really.

With the themed - it could still be confusing re: whether it's been read by everyone or not. But a good idea.

message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I think it could work if we just put the books on there but did not update their status. We could leaven them all as currently-reading...

message 14: by Hayley (new)

Catherine wrote: "I think it could work if we just put the books on there but did not update their status. We could leaven them all as currently-reading..."

So have the group 'currently reading' 267 books?

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Thanks for all your feedback.

Kayci - When I started this group, I didn't think it would attract very many members! So I decided to let people add their own books to the shelves so it wouldn't seem like our group was reading nothing!

Now that there are more members, it would be a lot better to just have group and themed reads on the currently reading shelf. But what do I do about everyone's personal shelves? It seems unfair to delete them. The bookshelf moderation is all or nothing. Either the moderator does it all or the members can edit the shelves as much as they like. If I restrict the moderation to just me and people join in the future and see personal shelves on there, it would be a big headache to add books for them. It's quite the pickle :/

message 16: by Hayley (new)

Jessica - this group grew so much in such a short time! Back in the old days, hey... ;P

I'd be happy to get rid of my own shelf - I think the way GR group books works doesn't allow for one book to have different reading statuses could end up with a lot of confusion & 'lost' books in the future (not to mention now!)

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Briansgirl and Book Concierge - I think each member having their own thread and folder might make the forums difficult to navigate. What if people just listed their books in the "My 2012 Dusty Books" thread and then discussed their books with others in the Books folder?

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Hayley - LOL Notre dame :)

Based on reading all of the feedback, what if we did this: I can restrict the shelves to moderator only. People can schedule buddy reads in the buddy read thread and when they have picked a time, they can email me and I'll add it to the shelves with the date they are going to read it (omg I'll probably need another moderator if we do that!). I think it would be best if I left the folder as "books" so that people can easily see all the books that people in this group have started threads for and give them a general idea of what others are reading.

Any thoughts? I want the process to be as simple as possible.

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Catherine wrote: "Since you were curious, Hayley... The reason I have not created a shelf in the Group Books section is that I have over 50 books in my challenge and I did not think the extra time needed to create a..."

A lot of people in the group do that and it's totally fine! The only reason to add books to the group shelves would be if you just wanted to :)

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Hayley wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I think it could work if we just put the books on there but did not update their status. We could leaven them all as currently-reading..."

So have the group 'currently reading' 2..."

We could have an honor system where only the moderator can change the shelves from read, to-read, and currently reading but that sounds like a lot more confusion than we have now...

message 21: by Hayley (new)

Buddy read sounds good idea. Although, on subject of folders - would it maybe be an idea to put Buddy Read thread in said 'Books' folder - as it is books related?

That still leaves the question of - do we leave the individual shelves up or have them all merged into the basic sections (read, to read, currently reading)? I know people put a lot of time & effort into the making of their dusty shelves but I found that mine kept the tage in my own book list so I could create my own dusty list to help keep track. This would then help solve the idea of newer members not being able to create their own and so creating much more work.

But would anyone with a dusty bookshelf up be terribly disappointed with this idea? I'm sure there'd be some - darn this group's popularity!

message 22: by Jessica (new)

LOL aren't all the threads book related? :D

Now that more people are reading books, I think it would the most organized to only have book titles under the book thread and move all other general book discussions under a different folder.

Is it a solution to just let people change the shelves as much as they want and just accept that they'll never be accurate????

message 23: by Hayley (last edited Feb 15, 2012 10:18AM) (new)

General chat, intros etc isn't really, is it?

Organisation wise could the gen. books be under the general books section then have a 'buddy read' section & 'group read' section so people can easily find if no one's posted on a thread for a few days?

That could be a solution but are we then running a risk of the shelves becoming a bit like the wilderness - all the books put there, keep getting mixed up and unsure of what's happened to a book? Especially if we leave the ability for more people to add more shelves/books :S

I do think the mod only plan could be an idea to control it.

message 24: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 15, 2012 12:07PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Jessica wrote: "Briansgirl and Book Concierge - I think each member having their own thread and folder might make the forums difficult to navigate. What if people just listed their books in the "My 2012 Dusty Boo..."

You misunderstood me. Check out my group Cozy Mysteries . http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1357

There is just ONE folder marked Members Challenges. Inside that folder, each individual can make their own thread to track whatever challenges they are in. This way, each person can list their own books for their own challenges in a place they can find them (ie their own named thread) and it's all contained in one folder (so it doesn't take up alot of room.)

I second the idea of having different folders for Buddy Reads, Group (Monthly?) Reads, and general book discussion. The more clear you make it now, the easier it is to find stuff later without it being muddled.

As for the group shelves question, I'd put a notice up that only the moderator can add anything as currently reading (those that show up on the homepage). To-Read books show up on the bottom of the homepage as what the group will read next. So you could ask that all the books folks are adding (if you don't want to restrict it to moderate add only) be listed as "read".

message 25: by Jessica (new)

I had an idea while I was driving. What if we had a window of a few weeks per year where people can make their own shelves and after that it will be moderator only. That way I can keep everything on the to-read shelf until the end of the year and the only books that will be under currently-reading will be group reads (which people can ask me to add). AND you can still see what everyone is reading on their personal shelves in the group without it being mass chaos. What do you think?

Briansgirl- I like how you organized the book threads in your group. I definitely need to reorganize the discussions here before they get too crazy :)

message 26: by Dalynn (last edited Feb 15, 2012 01:45PM) (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) Jessica wrote: I can restrict the shelves to moderator only. People can schedule buddy reads in the buddy read thread and when they have picked a time, they can email me and I'll add it to the shelves with the date they are going to read it (omg I'll probably need another moderator if we do that!)."

I like this idea and am willing to help mod. I'm willing to help mod if you do it this way or not - we've gotten pretty large pretty fast and I figured you'd need one soon! ;)

Just kind of skimmed replies after this one...

Edited, cuz I figured out the widget thing, and no this won't affect it! *applause*

message 27: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments I wouldn't mind either way. I really like being able to see what everybody is currently reading, and I like having a "personal" shelf within the group. But if it confuses other people, then do what is best for everybody! (:

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Jessica wrote: "I had an idea while I was driving. What if we had a window of a few weeks per year where people can make their own shelves and after that it will be moderator only. That way I can keep everything..."

I actually took that group over to help out. The group owner has never been around other than to take me up on my offer. Over 1,500 peeps have joined since I've been moderating it. Absolutely all the threads were in the default "general" file when I started. I completely organized and moved everything so that we could actually find what was there. If you would like, I can help here as well.

message 29: by Hayley (new)

That sounds like a good idea Jessica, that way there won't be such an issue anymore.

I've seen some great examples in other groups of how the threads are organised that I'm sure would easily transfer over here to make it easier to navigate and to keep it all more organised.

message 30: by Kayci (new)

Kayci (kayci24) Jessica wrote: "I had an idea while I was driving. What if we had a window of a few weeks per year where people can make their own shelves and after that it will be moderator only. That way I can keep everything..."

Car logic for the win, Jessica. I agree: it does sound like a good idea.