YA LGBT Books discussion

Keeping You a Secret
This topic is about Keeping You a Secret
Book of the Month > February BOM: Keeping You A Secret

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nathan (nathlawle) | 18 comments I hope no one minds my taking the reigns on posting this topic! I noticed no one had done so yet.

I've just started reading it yesterday; I'm already on Chapter 10! How is everyone else liking it?

message 3: by Byron (new) - added it

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Trevor - It's great that you started this post... and I'm about to start the book... (I have two other things to read first! One being a promise to read two weeks ago!!)

It just makes me more eager to read knowing that it's a good read!!!

Kaje Harper | 13682 comments Oh good, there's a thread *blushes as a mod - should have done that*

I just started this but I'm really liking it so far.

Nathan (nathlawle) | 18 comments Finished! Loved it. I gave it 5 stars as well.

Kaje Harper | 13682 comments I also gave it 5 stars. My review:

This is a lovely coming-out story, well-written, emotional, and believable. Holland is everything a high-school senior could want to be- attractive, athletic and smart, with a wonderful boyfriend. So she wonders why her life feels so hollow, why she has lost interest in applying to college, and feels like she is just going through the motions with her boyfriend. When she first sees the new girl, Cece, standing by her locker, she begins to become aware of one important answer.

In some ways the plot and characters a little stereotypical, and Holland is a little too perfect. But the impulse to write a girl who is everyone's ideal daughter and then show that she is gay is understandable, and Peters makes it work. And it pays to remember that this book was written almost ten years ago now. There are still too few lovely YA stories with lesbian main characters, and this is one of the good ones.

Penny Wilder (PennyWilder) | 13 comments Finished last night. I really enjoyed it. It's a very sweet story, with some pretty heavy doses of reality thrown in. I gave it 4 stars (B+ Rating). I felt like there was more story to be told, or rather, I didn't want the story to be over. I realize it was Peter's choice to simply end with the reader knowing that Holland was going to be OK, but I would have loved to keep reading!

Kaje Harper | 13682 comments Penelope wrote: "Finished last night. I really enjoyed it. It's a very sweet story, with some pretty heavy doses of reality thrown in. I gave it 4 stars (B+ Rating). I felt like there was more story to be told, or ..."

Yes, in some ways the most interesting and unpredictable part would be what happens next.

message 9: by Cassidy (last edited Aug 19, 2012 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cassidy (cass2244) | 5 comments its my favorite book. :)
ive read three times and cried three times.

message 10: by Kaje (last edited Aug 19, 2012 05:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 13682 comments Cassidy wrote: "its my favorite book. :)
ive read three times and cried three times."

She is a very good writer, especially in bringing out the emotions.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Keeping You a Secret (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Julie Anne Peters (other topics)