Willow Willow discussion

Is cutting Bad?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

§♫♪♥Delaney♥♪♫§ Wants To Help K Is cutting bad? I know I read the book but i'm not sure if its a bad thing. All she was doing was releasing her emotions through cutting. What is so bad about that?

April I don't think it's "bad" exactly, because anyone with the compulsion to cut shouldn't be ashamed or treated badly. But, if someone has the urge to cut, or if they feel better after cutting or otherwise hurting themself, something is wrong. Something is wrong in a person's mind, or heart, or life, if the only/best way they can cope is to cut. Healthier ideas might be writing or art, or talking to someone.

message 3: by Cayra (last edited Feb 14, 2012 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cayra Think about it: she has been through an incredibly traumatic event. Because she feels guilty about it, she doesn't talk about it to anyone, she shuts out the world, and slices her wrists with a razor. This in turn makes her guiltier and more ashamed, shutting her away even more. It's a vicious cycle that has the extremely high chance of becoming fatal (after all, she is literally putting a razor to her wrist, applying pressure until it bleeds, and dragging it across her wrist. She is essentially slitting her wrists horizontally) The cutting itself is almost an addiction: she can only go so long before the world becomes too much and she has to cut again. The intervals between cutting become shorter and shorter. Eventually, she, either accidentally or on purpose, would have cut too deep and killed herself.

BTW, if you liked this, a similar book is "Cut" by Patricia McCormick

JazzyCat I cut. Not many people know this, and I'd like to keep it this way. I want to say that I don't support cutting at all, and I would NEVER reccomend it to ANYONE. It's just when your being yelled at, and stressed, and lonely, for so long, it feels like there's no way out.
Tomorrow I'm going to tell someone. I'm going to stop.

JazzyCat I stopped. It's been 8 days since I've last cut and I feel GREAT. :)

Jennifer I have been a cutter for almost 4 years now off and on. Its a horrible way to deal with your overwhelming emotions. At first it's a good release but like Cayra said above, it becomes almost like an addiction. Then you have two problems; one being that you are in danger of seriously harming yourself whether it be through accidentally cutting too deep or even infection from the multiple cuts. The other problem is that you end up becoming more and more isolated because you have to hide all the scars. People wonder why you are always wearing long sleeves or long pants, even in the summer. They ask too many questions so you start to avoid them. You are left with nobody to talk to even if you wanted to get help because you have pushed them all away. I haven't cut in almost 6 months now. I've started writing and doing photography and that seems to help me. But there are still times I want to reach for that razor. So yes, cutting IS bad. There is always a better alternative. And ti amo-good for you! Hang in there, it's tough but you can do it!

jess An In my opinion, cutting may be a way to release emotional stress but it doesn't really help you solve the tensions that you are dealing with.. It's just a temporary solution that doesn't have any good effects on you or your life.

JazzyCat jess An wrote: "In my opinion, cutting may be a way to release emotional stress but it doesn't really help you solve the tensions that you are dealing with.. It's just a temporary solution that doesn't have any go..."

Exactly. It doesn't do any good, but it just feels so GOOD.

JazzyCat Jennifer wrote: "I have been a cutter for almost 4 years now off and on. Its a horrible way to deal with your overwhelming emotions. At first it's a good release but like Cayra said above, it becomes almost like an..."

Thank you. :) And good for you, too. :D

Cayra I'm so glad for both of you!

Taisha I don't think cutting is bad. It helps people to cope with their pain && to whatever that's happening to them. Sometimes its what you have to do if nothing esle works.

Turtles All the Way Down D wrote: "Is cutting bad? I know I read the book but i'm not sure if its a bad thing. All she was doing was releasing her emotions through cutting. What is so bad about that?"

It's bad, and in my experience it only makes things worse. It's a terrible emotional release because it solves nothing but adds guilt, stress, isolation, and shame to the pile of tension and and stress that people cut to release.

It's also dangerous. I've known people who cut way too deep and did more damage than intended. I stopped after a friend of mine got sick from an infection in one of her self-inflected cuts. I haven't done it since, and I've learned healthy ways to deal with stress.

§♫♪♥Delaney♥♪♫§ Wants To Help K I stopped cutting a month ago. But I still have the urge. Thanks for all your responses. They really helped me. If you have any more just keep writing.

Kimberly is cutting bad? is this a serious question.. of course its bad!!!!!!!!!!!! please dont do it people

Nabila Kimberly wrote: "is cutting bad? is this a serious question.. of course its bad!!!!!!!!!!!! please dont do it people"

Okay I couldn't agree more. If you want an emotional release find something else. Writing, singing, running, the options are endless.