Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Dreaming Awake (Falling Under, #2)
This topic is about Dreaming Awake
Ask An Author, Win A Book Corner > AC: Gwen Hayes of Dreaming Awake (February 23-25th)

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Feb 14, 2012 04:15PM) (new)

Fran | 11205 comments Gwen Hayes, a Young Adult and Romance author; will be joining us for a Q&A and book giveaway on February 23- February 25, 2012.

Meet Gwen:
Gwen Hayes (that's me) lives in the Pacific Northwest with her real life hero and a pack of wild beasts (two of whom she gave birth to). She is a reader, writer, and lover of pop culture (which, other than yogurt, is the only culture she gets). She would say she loves to garden, cook gourmet meals, and hike in the rainforest...but that would be lying. Instead, she likes watching bad movies (don't call me Shirley) and eating gourmet foods (cheetos=yum). She does like to force her family out to go geocaching a few times a year because that fulfills her secret inner geek while also getting fresh air.

Gwen's first Paranormal Young Adult novel, FALLING UNDER, was published by Penguin Books in March of 2011. The second book in her Falling Under series, DREAMING AWAKE, was released in January of 2012. She is represented by Jessica Sinsheimer of the Sarah Jane Freymann Agency.

About Falling Under:

In FALLING UNDER, painfully shy seventeen-year-old Theia begins experiencing dark, hauntingly real dreams of the most gorgeous boy she has ever seen. When he shows up for real at her high school, she thinks she’s going insane. And when he touches her, she is sure she has lost her mind. Why would Haden, this devastatingly attractive boy, even look at her?

Theia isn’t the only one interested in Haden. Every girl in the school is after him. Yet somehow its Theia he gravitates to. Even though he knows it’s wrong, it’s Theia he wants to be near, Theia whose presence he craves more than his next breath.

Theia knows the pull between them is stronger than mere chemistry; it’s otherworldly. She fears how strongly she is drawn to him and yet she doesn’t really want to escape. She has always felt Haden is much more than just a normal teenage boy, but when she learns where Haden is truly from and what he has come to Serendipity Falls to do, Theia realizes she might lose more than just her heart—she may lose her soul.

Books: So Over You by Gwen Hayes Falling Under (Falling Under, #1) by Gwen Hayes Dreaming Awake (Falling Under, #2) by Gwen Hayes Butterface by Gwen Hayes Second Son of a Duke by Gwen Hayes Let Me Call You Sweetheart by Gwen Hayes The Fallen by Gwen Hayes Totally Tubular by Gwen Hayes Oh Goddess by Gwen Hayes The Chosen  by Gwen Hayes

Giveaway: There will be 2 winners of Gwen's giveaway. Each winner will receive an ebook copy of Falling Under and an ebook copy of Dreaming Awake. This giveaway is open to everyone.

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Feb 22, 2012 12:31PM) (new)

Fran | 11205 comments Gwen will be joining us tomorrow morning, but I am posting an early intro....I can see by the early start of questions below that Gwen has a lot of fans!

Welcome Gwen, it's a pleasure to have you with us!

I hope you enjoy your time with our members; and good luck to you all!

GUIDELINES FOR AUTHOR AND PARTICIPANTS: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

Members, if you can please write the questions in bold; it would be easier for her to know that you have asked a question and less chance that it will be missed. Thanks!

Mimi I already read this book. But I just wanted to say that this book was awesome and that I highly recommend it. If you guys don't win it, you guys should definitely buy it. It's a must-read for ya book readers!

message 4: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose (rosepetals1984) | 17 comments Hi Gwen, I've read quite a few of your books and enjoyed them - love your flare for humor in your works. :) I wanted to ask if there's any particular methods you use to inspire your writing (like creating a personal soundtrack for your book, etc.)?

Thanks for taking the time to talk to us!

message 5: by Rhea Alexis (new)

Rhea Alexis M Banks (rheaalexis) I am interested, noted.

message 6: by RedEye_Witch (new)

RedEye_Witch | 246 comments This is Luv_Me,

Hey, I've seen Falling Under in the bookstores once.
Ok, maybe twice but I didn't buy it because I didn't have money at that time and my exam was near. This year is getting harder and harder to get to the bookstores, believe me.

Now, I'm studying for the BIG exam in June that's going to determine my fate in the future. I'm not lying. I don't know if it's there right now anymore but if it is, I'll try to buy it.

Sorry, I like to chatter away non-stop.
My question to you is;
'Do you like roses as your cover for the Falling Under series?'
'How many books will there be?'
since it's a series
Did you create the characters names?' becuz if you did, then you're good. But if you found it somewhere, please tell me. I'm bad at making names up.
Did you ever wished that a hot guy's(and I seriously mean hot and delicious) attention was on you? so you fantasized it in Falling Under, but you didn't want to stop writing it and it became a series and everytime you write, it's always you yourself that you imagine as the main character? is that right? because sometimes I feel that way too, but that was a long time ago.

Now, questions that are unrelated to Falling Under series or any other books. Like;
Do you create stories in the creative writing in goodreads?' if so please tell, I like reading stories there. I even created my story there as well. And if you read my story, then you'll know how bad I 'make up names'. Seriously, I have bad judgement in names.
Do you have another occupation other than a writer? and is it something that you like other than writing?
People say that asking a question can tell a person's personality. Is that even true?

P.S; If I ever offend you in any way, please forgive me. Sometimes I can't even keep my mouth shut.
This is what they call 'saying without thinking'. And sometimes I say the wrong words.

message 7: by Sassafrass (last edited Feb 22, 2012 10:16PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3817 comments Hi Gwen, Thanks so much for being here!

I haven't read Falling Under, so I'm glad to have the chance to win it. It sounds so interesting.

My question is: is there another genre besides Young Adult and Romance would you be interested in writing and why?

thanks again!

message 8: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Hi Gwen! Welcome to RRRC!

With so many books published for young adults these days, how do you come up with new materials that will set your writing apart from the rest?

message 9: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 649 comments Hi Gwen -- Welcome, and thanks for taking the time out to share with us.
I was wondering, as an author of YA do you have a lot of young adults in your life that inspire you, or is "people watching" more important in your creation of characters?

message 10: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11205 comments Welcome Gwen!

I have recently read Totally Tubular by Gwen Hayes and loved it! The 80s references were a great trip down memory lane for me, and the story had a lot of heart. I am a big fan and can't wait to read the rest of your backlist. I have So Over You on my kindle and up next.

I noticed you have a mix of paranormal and realistic fiction, even historical- Do you have a favorite genre to write or read? What (or who) are your inspirations for writing YA?

Macwolf01 [Elise] (macwolf01) | 1012 comments HI Gwen,

I love reading YA, as it was a series of YA novels that got me interested in reading again awhile back. I also like to read what my nieces and nephew are reading. I think that YA does a wonderful job of exposing kids to difficult situations without being too graphic.

I have two questions, how do you know where the fine line between an adult book and YA is (apart from the main characters being teens)?

Why do you think YA has become so well written and popular?

Thanks so much for coming I have added your books to my TBR pile E

message 12: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Hello Gwen and welcome!

Don't want to bombard you too early, so just one question right now... OK, maybe two. lol
Did you always know you wanted to be an author? And, we've have authors pop in who have mentioned writing short stories and such as early as 8yr old. (Yeah, I know, amazing. At 8 yrs old I could barely concentrate on color coordinating my clothes. lol) How long ago did you start writing?

message 13: by Gaby (new) - added it

Gaby Robbins (gabyrobbins) Hello Gwen,
I have read Falling Under and really enjoyed it. I am not usually a fan of dark or macabre story telling, but I was so intrigued by the falling burning boy. It was such a great adventure for me. Thanks for sharing your story! Can't wait to read Dreaming Awake!

Don't know if this question has been asked, but what inspired such a macabre story like Falling Under? The description of where Haden is from (don't want to spoil it for everyone) is so specific and interesting. Just curious how it began.

Again thanks!

message 14: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Gwen, are you currently working on anything new?

message 15: by Brittany (last edited Feb 23, 2012 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brittany Hi Gwen! Let me just start by saying that I love all of your writing. Oh Goddess was hilarious and I completely fell in love with the characters from The Fallen. Keep doing what you're doing because it's really wonderful. :D

Okay my question(s):
If given the chance, would you turn any of your short stories into novels? Have you thought about publishing them as a collection in book format, not e-book? Are you going to write any full-length adult novels?

Falling Under was fantastic (I love how it's in Serendipity Falls, very clever) and I am so excited for Dreaming Awake! Thanks for talking to us and thanks for the great stories! :)

message 16: by Drew (new)

Drew Constance (Authenticangelblissgmailcom) | 32 comments Hello Gwen,

I just finished your book Falling Under and loved it so much. I purchased Dreaming Awake already, but I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your writing.

What are some of your favorite authors?
Do you keep a writers notebook?
What was the defining moment when you decided that you were going to make a profession from writing?

Blair

message 17: by Drew (new)

Drew Constance (Authenticangelblissgmailcom) | 32 comments Gwen wrote: "Tennille [A.K.A Blair] wrote: "Hello Gwen,

I just finished your book Falling Under and loved it so much. I purchased Dreaming Awake already, but I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed..."

Would you be interested in popping over on my blog when I am finished and ready to review Dreaming awake Gwen?I would love to host a giveaway and have a chat.

Many thanks - Blair

message 18: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi I have a question... Is one of the four books you are working on a sequel of the falling under series? If not, what do I need to do to make you write a third book? lol

I just really think this series has the potential to grow in so many ways...:)

message 19: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Gwen, you've written many books, do you have a favorite character? A favorite one of your books?

message 20: by Angieleigh (new)

Angieleigh Hi Gwen, I have several of your books on my Kindle waiting for me to get to and added the rest to my TBR list on here so I'd remember to look for the rest.

My question for you is, do you ever find yourself waking up in the middle of the night to write down ideas for a new book?

message 21: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Gwen , That's understandable. :)

So, Have you written any other books with the same kind of paranormal love story? Also, what's your favorite book that you have written?

message 22: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11205 comments Gwen,
I love how others have asked if you will continue your Falling Under series. I feel the same way about Totally Tubular! I want to know more about the characters, their future together. It's a great testament to your ability to write such engaging and endearing characters.

Are you thinking of writing more time-travel stories? Is writing time-travel more difficult than writing a story set in one time period?

message 23: by Jessica (last edited Feb 24, 2012 10:46PM) (new) - added it

Jessica | 1 comments Hello Gwen. Thank you for giving avid readers like me a chance to talk to an author who captivates us on a daily basis. I'd be SUPER excited to win!! My question is...what other genres would you want to write or plan on writing in the future?

message 24: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11205 comments Gwen wrote: "Fran wrote: "Gwen,
I love how others have asked if you will continue your Falling Under series. I feel the same way about Totally Tubular! I want to know more about the characters, their future tog..."

Gwen, I LOVE the idea of Cari's daughter going back to 2012! Of course there could only be one choice for Cari's husband (please!). I wonder what name you would give her, lol...

message 25: by Sana (last edited Feb 25, 2012 12:21PM) (new) - added it

Sana (sanashams) Hi, Gwen! I am so excited because Falling Under is one of my absolute favorite books! I love what you've done with the series and God, I never liked a villain more than I do in Falling Under! =D Plus, the covers are so enchanting! Ah, I can just go on and on here...

I can't wait to get my hands on Dreaming Awake.

My question is:

I loved the scenes involving black roses and I think they really played an important role in Falling Under. So what was it that inspired you to include the black roses in the series?

Thanks Gwen for taking your time out to answer our questions!

Sana

message 26: by Chani (new) - added it

Chani (tempestchani) | 11 comments Hi, Falling Under is a great title! I was wondering is there anything specific that helps to give you ideas? Like listening to music or something like that?

message 27: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11205 comments Thank you so much for joining us Gwen!

Stay tuned for the 2 winners of Gwen's giveaway, an ecopy of Falling Under (Falling Under, #1) by Gwen Hayes and Dreaming Awake (Falling Under, #2) by Gwen Hayes for each winner.

message 28: by Habz (last edited Feb 27, 2012 08:49AM) (new)

Habz | 4 comments Hi Gwen
...I have not read Dreaming Awake yet, but i saw the book in a store and really liked the covers; beautiful covers by the way:)

As an aspiring author, the question i wanted to ask you was;

How did you first became an author and was it hard for you to break into the publishing world?

Looking forward to your reply:)

message 29: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3817 comments keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

message 30: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11205 comments Congratulations Luv_Me_Feo_Wynter and Tennille (A.K.A. Blair)!

Please contact Gwen today if you haven't already, to accept your giveaway.

Thanks again for joining us Gwen and for your kind words :) *blushes*

message 31: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11205 comments As per the rules/guidelines, if Luv_Me and Tennille don't contact Gwen by the end of today then new winners will be chosen.

So please contact Gwen today ladies!!

message 32: by Drew (new)

Drew Constance (Authenticangelblissgmailcom) | 32 comments Gwen wrote: "Still waiting for winners emails!"

Blake.constance@hotmail.com.. I cannot believe that I won !!!!!!!

message 33: by Drew (new)

Drew Constance (Authenticangelblissgmailcom) | 32 comments Fran wrote: "As per the rules/guidelines, if Luv_Me and Tennille don't contact Gwen by the end of today then new winners will be chosen.

So please contact Gwen today ladies!!"

Gwen wrote: "Still waiting for winners emails!"

Just in case my message did not get through my email is Blake.constance@hotmail.com

message 34: by Drew (new)

Drew Constance (Authenticangelblissgmailcom) | 32 comments Gwen wrote: "Tennille [A.K.A Blair] wrote: "Fran wrote: "As per the rules/guidelines, if Luv_Me and Tennille don't contact Gwen by the end of today then new winners will be chosen.

So please contact Gwen today..."

Sorry I have been away from the computer. Kindle edition would be wonderful for me thanks Gwen. Thank you so much for answering all those questions. I practically squealed first thing when I saw it. You have made my day - Thank you to everyone !!!!

message 35: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3817 comments Congrats guys! I'm so jealous! LOL

message 36: by Drew (new)

Drew Constance (Authenticangelblissgmailcom) | 32 comments Gwen wrote: "Ok...Tennille's books are on their way to her Kindle."

Just recived Dreaming awake but apparently Falling under wont let me accept it because it is not published in my country .

message 37: by Drew (new)

Drew Constance (Authenticangelblissgmailcom) | 32 comments Gwen wrote: "Tennille [A.K.A Blair] wrote: "Gwen wrote: "Ok...Tennille's books are on their way to her Kindle."

Just recived Dreaming awake but apparently Falling under wont let me accept it because it is not ..."

I live in Australia. I am more than happy for someone else to have the first book. ^_^

message 38: by Drew (new)

Drew Constance (Authenticangelblissgmailcom) | 32 comments Gwen wrote: "I already paid for it though, so I can't give it to someone else. If they give you a credit, use it on whatever you like. I'm very sorry."

Haha don't be sorry. I don't know why amazon is being annoying.

message 39: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Feb 29, 2012 01:02PM) (new)

Fran | 11205 comments Tennille [A.K.A Blair] wrote: "Gwen wrote: "I already paid for it though, so I can't give it to someone else. If they give you a credit, use it on whatever you like. I'm very sorry."

Haha don't be sorry. I don't know why amazon..."

Tennille, Gwen has an amazing backlist, maybe you could pick one of her other titles?

message 40: by Drew (new)

Drew Constance (Authenticangelblissgmailcom) | 32 comments Fran wrote: "Tennille [A.K.A Blair] wrote: "Gwen wrote: "I already paid for it though, so I can't give it to someone else. If they give you a credit, use it on whatever you like. I'm very sorry."

Haha don't ..."

I have been contemplating it XD