Horror Aficionados discussion

The Wolf Gift (The Wolf Gift Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Wolf Gift
Novels > The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I was a big Anne Rice fan some time ago with the Vampire Chronicles and Wayfair Witch Chronicles. I felt that she sort of lost her way, and in one group or another, I forget which one lol, we were debating whether or not she could redeem herself with her fans. Or, at least fans like us judgmental jerks who gave up on her.

But now she's come out with a werewolf book. My skin prickles. I love werewolves!

Did you give up on Anne Rice?

If so, will you be reading this book?

I know I will.

The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice

Traci I used to love Rice. Her vampire books were like my Twilight when I was a teen. Lol. Maybe I was weird. But I don't know how many times I read them. And I absolutely love her witches book (s can't remember if there were more than one)

Did give up on her religion faze. YES looking forward to her werewolf book. :-D

message 3: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I am looking forward to it, too. I just hope that it's better than some of her previous works. I didn't enjoy how she ended the vampire chronicles much at all.

Teawench | 331 comments I agree. I loved the Mayfair Witches, the first four or five Vampire books and the Mummy is probably my favorite book of hers. But I was disappointed in some of her later work. Totally looking forward to seeing what she can & will do with werewolves.

message 5: by Char (new)

Char  | 13702 comments Mod
I chat with someone on Ammy who just reviewed it with 3 stars. It sort of bummed me out. : (

But I loved Witching Hour as well.

message 6: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments The Witching Hour blew me away. I loved it. I should give it a reread sometime soon to see if I think it's still as good.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I'm downloading the audiobook from my library tonight. I have high hopes for this one. High Moor got me on a werewolf kick.

message 8: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments High Moor did that to me, too.

Kilgallen | 73 comments I am excited about Anne Rice and her take on werewolves. I was a huge fan of both her vampire and witch books. I did not follow her on her religious route...just was not my cup of tea. But werewolves have me intrested for sure!

message 10: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Asbury | 960 comments I think I'm going to give this a try. As far as her Vampire Chronicles I couldn't read any other Vampire novels for a long time. I was always comparing them to Interview With A Vampire which is on my list of all time favorite books.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I hated it. It was everything a werewolf novel should not be.

message 12: by Char (new)

Char  | 13702 comments Mod
What did you not like about it, 00811?

message 13: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Having not read it yet, I'm interested in your hatred of the book, too, 11811.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Tough to say without spoilers but I'll do my best.

Rice shot a lot of religion in there to the point where I thought i accidentally switched the novel with Descartes' Meditations on First Philosophy. Not bad material, but it doesn't belong in this context. I also didn't care for the protagonist. He was annoying. I'll leave his description right there.

These are my big negatives. Very minor spoilers that won't ruin your reading experience but I'll mark them anyway since some people can be super sensitive about these things.....

(view spoiler)

Reviews are all over the place on this book so don't take my word for it but if you're looking for another straight forward horror experience in the vein of High Moor, look elsewhere.

Rice has some impressive prose, but it has to go somewhere.

This doesn't go anywhere.

It seems roughly 50% of readers enjoyed this so maybe give it a go and see what you think. That's just my 2 cents.

message 15: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Thanks, 11811.

Alondra Miller | 1866 comments Jason wrote: "I was a big Anne Rice fan some time ago with the Vampire Chronicles and Wayfair Witch Chronicles. I felt that she sort of lost her way, and in one group or another, I forget which one lol, we were ..."

I want to read it; and will look at reviews, but won't bases my purchase on those. People either love her writing or hate it; so I will probably purchase later. I like her writing and i loved the mayfair witches. The vampire series made me love vamps all over again. :)