philosophy, psychology and other long words beginning with p. discussion

Philosophy > Nation of Love: Book Idea run through

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colt (new)

Colt (colt32) | 14 comments Hi again everyone!
So I had another idea while laying on my bed and a hot topic came up through my school. Basic story; a teacher was charged with sexual assault with a student (Note: the person was not from my school district). The people failed to mention that the person is charged as a pedophile, but they instead started pointing the finger at him being gay and it turned into a debate about the topic of whether all pedophiles are gay (which I already call bullcrap on because there are other sexual deviants out there) and then it became a Christian/Anti-theist debate. I say Anti-theist because they were not even arguing over religion or of God existing. They argued just for the sake of arguing (this gives me a reason to hate on anti-theists). The facts I mainly drew from were that the Christian side, and some of them are my friends who I go to church with, completely forgot what Christ's second most important commandment was which is "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." (Matthew 22:36-40, if you want to read the full story). This frankly pissed me off. I love Christ, and I make it a point to show love to all people, because God created each person, we are each His creation and the object of His affection. I will stop there before I go on a rant.

I thought about other things though, stuff like Westboro, how people who call themselves Christians will kill others in the name of Christ (Jesus says that even hating someone is "murder of the heart"), Joseph Kony(?) in Uganda who leads the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) who wants to overthrow the government and change the laws to the 10 commandments (even though they broke EVERY one of them doing so, also they kidnap children to use as soldiers) and many other things that follow these lines. Now watch as I remember all of these things and simmer in silent anger...

Anyways, I want to focus on the U.S. which was supposed to be found with God in mind. Going by what 1 John 4:8, love is God and God is love (to summarize), do you think that the United States is a nation that has forgotten what love is?
I mean think about it, divorce rates are high, teen pregnancy is rising, children killing parents, parents killing children, everyone pointing the finger at everyone for everything, America has lost what love is. There are a select few who do know love, but sadly they are in the minority.

So I'll ask again:

Is America a nation without love?
(Worse case scenario it ends up like Brave New World, or the cannibals in The Road)
also, want to add some more input, thoughts on the subject, articles you've read, etc? Feel free to add them below.

message 2: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 19 comments "the U.S. which was supposed to be found with God in mind."
The US was not founded with God in mind, and especially not the Christian one. Many founding fathers were Deists, sure...but they also made sure to completely separate church and state and allow freedom of religion. This isn't a religion-based country and never has been.

"divorce rates are high"
We're 12th internationally. Sweden, Finland, even the UK are higher than us. Norway, which happens to rank as the world's happiest country, is 15th...not much below us.
Divorce rates just indicate the freedom of a country. Biologically, we're not made to be monogamous, and in the US you're allowed to deal with that. You know which countries have extremely low divorce rates? Third world countries in which you aren't allowed to divorce. That has nothing to do with love.

In fact, what is love? If we're going to talk about it, we might as well define it first. Ideas for that?

message 3: by Colt (new)

Colt (colt32) | 14 comments ♥ Rachel♥ wrote: ""the U.S. which was supposed to be found with God in mind."
The US was not founded with God in mind, and especially not the Christian one. Many founding fathers were Deists, sure...but they also ma..."

first of all: Baby don't hurt me... Don't hurt me... No more...

Secondly; thanks for clearing that up, and I guess that would be a great way to start it off. Defining what love is but using other people's words for it, and any other source that attempts to define it.
And yeah about us being 12th thats true, but I am wondering how overly dramatic each divorce is comparing it by country, because I've met some people that went through a lot of divorces and many of them just hate each others guts and say terrible things about each other, which can also be related to some ex boyfriends and girlfriends, dear God its high school all over again in a cpuple of the situations

message 4: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 23 comments Colt wrote: "first of all: Baby don't hurt me... Don't hurt me... No more..."

aaaaahhh, no! that's gonna be in my head all night!

message 5: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 23 comments I will say that I think that america is a very individualistic country. this may look like, or even be, a lack of love, not sure...

but I have thought before about how america is so different from other countries in that it's composed of the rugged pioneers from other countries...I think that has to have had an effect on the way we think and behave.