Christian Readers discussion

Which Do You Prefer?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Hancock (vanessahancock) | 4 comments I'm writing a devotional for women but I'm not sure of one thing and I need your help. Do you prefer a devotional that's just to be read, or one that you write in, and takes you to study the Word? I like both, but I'm torn on which direction to take.

message 2: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Villalobos (jetski) | 9 comments Why not write the longer version, and as you go, simply cut and paste the devotional into a seperate file to be made into a seperate smaller book.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Just read to me, but I retain well without writing. many might like to write things down.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (goodreadscommysaggingshelves) | 71 comments I like one you write in.

message 5: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Robinson (goodreadscombjrobinson) | 54 comments I enjoy both types. I do like to write and reflect at time, and I own both types. I've also had a number of devotionals published. Blessings, BJ Robinson

message 6: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Gunter | 32 comments I usually pick up one that you just read. You don't have to worry about when you left off and it's always something you can read over and over.

But having to actually write and think gets you deeper in the word and you retain more when having written. Maybe just a reflection section with a question and it's up to the reader to fill it in or not. Rather than a total study book??? It's also a way of reflection on things God has taught you or done.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 10 comments I generally use a book and then have a journal for prayers and reflection. So I'd rather have just a book.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 10 comments Do you mind sharing what your devotional book is about?

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 143 comments I like Jesus's idea. You may end up with a journal version and regular version. It gives people a choice. And yes, I'm with Melissa. What will it be about?

message 10: by Dana (new)

Dana Rongione (danarongione) | 36 comments I prefer both, but like others have mentioned, I have a separate journal. I can journal about verses I've read, prayers, devotionals and even stray thoughts. For this reason, I don't usually write in my devotionals that have a place for writing. I write it in my journal instead. I think you'd be well off either way.

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie Boutch I prefer to write right in the devotional!

message 12: by Emmanuel (new)

Emmanuel Obu (EmmanuelObu) | 6 comments I prefer to engage my thought while I read, then write something down.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 1 comments hi its eliz i think you should do both coz it will really while reading at the same time and studying the word

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Personally, having both written devotional and done devotional studies, I prefer simply reading. I think questions posed by the author leads people to a certain conclusion, which may not be what God wants to show the individual from that study. I call this 'pre-digested'.

Say what you want in the study/devotional, but let God speak to the individual.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 143 comments I think it's a little odd that so many days have passed and Vanessa does not appear to have come back to see her comments.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe she didn't get the answer she wanted?

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 143 comments Perhaps. Perhaps we'll never know.