Magic & Metal Book Club discussion

Additional Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Adams (amahel) | 37 comments Mod
What do we recommend for people who are trying to expand their library, like Kristina?

Of course, it will depend on what they have read, and liked. However, I think people should try Ender's Game, Jim Butcher or Kim Harrison, David Eddings and Terry Goodkind, to name a few.

message 2: by Awkwardly (new)

Awkwardly Kristina (kristinad) | 23 comments Mod
Thanks for starting this thread! I was just thinking about all of the good books that are suggested to me at our meeting, but I always forget them before I get home! I liked the sound of that one Chris was mentioning with the color magic that decreases their life expectancy.

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

That was The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. I forget, you're more high fantasy right?

message 4: by Awkwardly (new)

I would say just fantasy, although some of my favorite books have been high fantasy. I'm about to start Storm Front. I have high hopes!

message 5: by Tiffany (new)

And they get better as you read, too. I love that, when a series grows better instead of fame souring it. *cough* Laurell & Charlene *cough*

message 6: by Awkwardly (new)

My cousin came today, so I only got one page in, but I plan on being done by the weekend and possibly dipping in to Soulless.

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

I borrowed "A Discovery of Witches" to Kristina, and my two Sarah Addison Allen books, because they are just so freaking good. DoW is like harry potter meets twilight on crack and for adults. There is still some gender issues that stick out, but it was easy for me to look past them since it was an intelligently written, culture-filled novel that I am excited to read the next one in the series.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments Mod
Anyone read Ex Heroes by Peter Clines, Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost, or Encrypted by Lindsay Buroker?

message 9: by Tiffany (new)

I've got Halfway to the Grave on my to-read list because my co-worker Miriam recommended it, and she's got good taste. The other two I haven't heard of before