The Sword and Laser discussion

Fantasy picks for 2/20

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1665 comments Mod
It's poll time, people. But I need some options to get us rolling.

Post you SWORD picks below! New, old, whatever.

message 3: by Vance (last edited Feb 14, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments A Wizard of Earthsea maybe so we could hit a Ursula K. Le Guin book. I think its been attempted in a few of these polls.

message 7: by Walter (new)

Walter (walterwoods) | 144 comments I second The Magicians

message 11: by Vance (new)

Vance | 362 comments Jonathan wrote: "The Lies of Locke Lamora"

While I would vote first for Tigana (above), this would be my second choice.

message 12: by Kevin (last edited Feb 14, 2012 02:37PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I would like to nominate Assassin's Apprentice.

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Eavenson (dannyeaves) | 127 comments I am not a serial killer by Dan Wells. Its present day themed but certainly its a sword story.

message 14: by Liam (new)

Liam Johnstone (hadaad) | 27 comments I'd go for Tigana or The Lies of Locke Lamora.

message 15: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Tigana or Assassin's Apprentice.

message 16: by Christopher (last edited Feb 14, 2012 02:59PM) (new)

Christopher Johnson (the_lost_emperor) | 16 comments The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison. An early classic, with heavy philosophical themes.

message 20: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Kate wrote: "Once again, The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch"

Ditto.

message 23: by Pngnlove (new)

Pngnlove | 4 comments Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

message 25: by David (new)

David Monroe (davidmonroe) | 19 comments I'm hardly one to give in to peer presure, but in the last two weeks, three friends have sent me Recs to read The Lies of Locke Lamora. Two of them have never sent me a rec before. I immediately added it to my TO-READs and scratched my head, wondering how it slipped under my radar for 5 years.

message 26: by Matt (new)

Matt | 29 comments Raymond Feist's Magician:Apprentice. the series went downhill after the first 4 books. but i really like it.

message 27: by Tora (new)

Tora | 69 comments The Lies of Locke Lamora. But I admit it's for totally selfish reasons.

message 28: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Assassin's Apprentice

message 29: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 27 comments The Last Unicorn. It's seriously the best fantasy book I've ever read--and the most beautifully written book I've ever read, too. Not to mention that it's an under-appreciated classic and from what I can tell (I'm new) you guys have never done it before.

Of the ones others have suggested already, I'll admit to being pretty intrigued by The Lies of Locke Lamora.

message 31: by Alterjess (new)

Alterjess | 319 comments Oh, I would love to read The Last Unicorn again. It's probably been 15 years since I picked that one up.

message 32: by Hisham (new)

Hisham El-far (el-far) An Unexpected Apprentice BY Jody Lynn Nye.

Anything by Robert Asprin.

message 33: by Mikeasus (new)

Mikeasus | 1 comments Posting to of my favorite fantasy series

By Michael A Stackpole
2000 The Dark Glory War
2001 Fortress Draconis
2002 When Dragons Rage
2003 The Grand Crusade

By Stephen R Donaldson
Lord Foul's Bane, Holt, 1977
The Illearth War, Holt, 1977
The Power that Preserves, Holt, 1977

message 35: by Mark (new)

Mark Nuhfer | 32 comments I liked Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht and the Kindle version is still free at Amazon.

message 36: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 488 comments Can I put in a vote for The Etched City by KJ Bishop

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Adding my vote to either Tigana/Lions of Al-Rassan or Lies of Locke Lamorra.

Though part of me wants to see what you all think of The Magicians...

message 38: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Ala wrote: "Though part of me wants to see what you all think of The Magicians..."

One thing's for sure it's one of those love it or hate it type books and I was thinking the same thing about picking it but I'm not sure I have the energy to defend it from all the haters.

message 39: by John (last edited Feb 14, 2012 05:52PM) (new)

John | 19 comments Feast of Souls by C. S. Friedman has my vote....but all the votes for The Lies of Locke Lamora certainly have me wondering what I am missing

message 40: by Mike (new)

Mike Thicke (mikethicke) | 70 comments The Magicians

message 41: by Mark (new)

Mark Nuhfer | 32 comments How about Blackdog? Has anyone read it? It's been on my to read list for awhile.

message 42: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Boots wrote: "One thing's for sure it's one of those love it or hate it type books and I was thinking the same thing about picking it but I'm not sure I have the energy to defend it from all the haters."

It definitely is one of those types of books. But I believe Tom's already read it, so I'd expect it wouldn't get picked. It's still on my to-read list, though.

message 43: by Brian (new)

Brian (balah) | 13 comments Kate wrote: "Once again, The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch"

I'd be happy with this pick as well.

message 44: by Mark (last edited Feb 14, 2012 06:25PM) (new)

Mark Nuhfer | 32 comments China Mieville? Perdido Street Station or maybe Kraken?

Throne of the Crescent Moon, a brand new book, looks interesting.

The Chronicles Of Master Li And Number Ten Ox is an old favorite that would be fun to read again.

message 45: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime

Book Girl: She's a goblin who eats books and critiques them on taste. And solves mysteries.

The Suicidal Mime: The best kind of mime.

You'll love it.

message 46: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Boots wrote: "The Annotated Hobbit: The Hobbit, Or, There and Back Again"

I second this. If not now, then later this year before the Peter Jackson movie gets released. If you haven't read it yet, then you definitely need to. If you have, it's worth a re-read and delving into it perhaps deeper than before.

message 47: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 171 comments my choices are for
Dhampir by Barb Hendee
Another Fine Myth by Robert Aspirin
and I second a vote for Magic Casement

message 48: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Joyce wrote: "my choices are for
Dhampir by Barb Hendee
Another Fine Myth by Robert Aspirin
and I second a vote for Magic Casement"

I second Another Fine Myth, its been on my reading list for a while.

message 49: by Bree (new)

Bree (breeatlast) | 52 comments I second (third? etc.) Tigana. I borrowed a copy from my friend ages ago and it's sitting unread on my shelf . . . taunting me.

message 50: by Tamahome (last edited Feb 14, 2012 07:51PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments From: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/02/06... (fan nebula suggestions)

Novel: “The Cloud Roads” by Martha Wells. It’s effortless to enter any of the worlds Wells builds. This one has a multi species world and a grand adventure.

The Cloud Roads

« previous 1 3