Addicted to YA discussion

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
This topic is about City of Bones
Series > City of Bones

Comments Showing 1-50 of 210 (210 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5143 comments Mod
What did you think of the book? The characters? Just share whatever you think of it.

Stephanie (hotpinklady420) Although it hasnt been one of my favorites, it definitely caught my attention enough to go out an get the second one shortly after finishing this one. I liked the second book better which is unusual for me bc I always favor the first in a series. I love love love the interactions and chemistry with Clary and Jace although Simon is probably my favorite. My heart goes to him and his little quips and jokes make me lol literally :)

Giochima | 10 comments i just started the book and i have only one word to describe it:pure awesomeness, was that two words?w.e. you know that feeling you have when u clean your hears with a q-tips? thats how i feel when i read this book.

Sandra (shereadsatnight) | 19 comments I am in love with this book and series or anything with Cassandra Clare's name on it. :D
This series is a total genius!
The whole concept of the shadowhunters were just so real to me.
The characters were well defined which is what I loved most about this book and so was the settings.
Jace - He's mine! :D

message 5: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela love this series, the characters are great, the plots are unpredictable and it makes me laugh so hard!!!!!!:D

message 6: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie I've been wondering about these series. I see the mixed reviews on Amazon, I have the Kindle so most likely I'll buy it on my reader.

Rachael | 21 comments Honestly? I didn't love this series as much as the others. I think it was because I read her epic Harry Potter fanfic back in the day when it was up and it reminded me a lot of that. I could fit the main characters of that rather easily into the main characters of City of Bones. I can see the popularity aspect but yeah I still think of her Harry Potter fanfiction.

D.F. Jules | 15 comments First of all. The cover. It totally took my breath away. Either than that, I love the mythology, the world-building and the characters.

Clary often times bug me, but only because she's a teenager and she acts like a teenager; reckless and doesn't think of consequences. Most YA nowadays doesn't write real teenagers but Cassandra Clare does good there.

And the clever, rapier wits. LOVE them. I could quote this book all day. And the sheer genius of descriptions and plots and character build up!!!

Always a good read. I recommend it definitely.

message 9: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie I don't base books from other books it'll totally ruin it and each writer is different. I loved JK Rowlings work but you really can't compare Twilight with Harry Potter totally different books.
I just don't want to pay an arm and a leg for these books and turn out hating them afterwards. I was liking Twilight till the last book which I hated. I just don't want to be disappointed.

message 10: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Stephanie wrote: "I don't base books from other books it'll totally ruin it and each writer is different. I loved JK Rowlings work but you really can't compare Twilight with Harry Potter totally different books.
I ..."

I don't think this series are anything like Twilight, I think they are much funnier with more intresting chracters and less predictable plot lines.
I would definately recommend them :)

Jennifer (AllTheRaeje) I never series on another. Each one is it's own entity for me. I was in the hospital and my husband brought me this book as a gift. I ate it up like a starving animal at it's first meal in days. I love the characters. I love the story line. It sucked me in from the get go. She gives each character such a distinct personality and the books are so well written
that I almost felt like I knew the characters. Big 5 stars from me!

Sumin I'm a huge Harry potter fan, so I thought the characters seems too similar in the beginning. But as I read on, I totally LOVED IT! Jace is definitely my favorite character! I couldn't put this book down and I had to read it over when I was done.

message 13: by Emily (last edited Mar 18, 2012 06:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily Eastman | 12 comments I read this book and liked it. Should I go on in the series? Do they stay entertaining?

message 14: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes! The rest of the books are just as amazing as the first!

message 15: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Compeletly, you should definately stick with them!

message 16: by Anna (last edited Mar 19, 2012 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna | 300 comments Stick with it - a couple of great twists - the storyline is strong, she keeps the humour and continues to develop the characters: so if you liked book 1, I'd definately reconmmend books 2,3 & 4.

message 17: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Loved this book...then the end I was like O_____O lol. I ended up looking up spoilers because I wouldnt be able to read the series if it were true :P

message 18: by Malaika (new) - added it

Malaika (adventuresofreading) | 7 comments I'm so excited about reading this series
I can't wait to see the movie but I have to see the movie first.

message 19: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Reading the book first is better!! :)

message 20: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Perhaps once I'm done with Game of Thrones book 2 later on in April, hopefully I'll start on City of Bones. There kinda pricy at the moment and are not lendable. A lot of my customers were I work at also said good things about these books.

message 21: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy You can get them online or used pretty cheap :) I only spent 5$ on mine.

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments I just rummaged through my brother's bookshelves and found this and I'm going to start it today. I've heard great things about it around this group.

message 23: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie I might start these later on this summer. Hopefully, they'll be a bit cheaper and I can get them on ebay for a few bucks.

message 24: by Tess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tess Bianchi (tessbianchi) Did anyone else think that the twist at the end left a gaping plot hole in the book? I mean, how did Jace never see a picture of Valentine one of the most infamous shadow hunters ever? I know they address that in the second book but it's still pretty improbable. I'm not trying to hate on the books or anything in fact, it is one of my favorite series but I just wanted to see if anyone else agreed with me.

message 25: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy I agree- there are holes in the whole "Jonathan" theory. But I guess we arent supposed to think about it :P

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Katy wrote: "I agree- there are holes in the whole "Jonathan" theory. But I guess we arent supposed to think about it :P"

Well actually in that later books it explains everything. Team Jace! As for Simon, (view spoiler)

message 27: by Tess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tess Bianchi (tessbianchi) Katy wrote: "I agree- there are holes in the whole "Jonathan" theory. But I guess we arent supposed to think about it :P"

LOL! I guess so! It just bothers me....

message 28: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy ♥ Lana G. Astrid ♥ wrote: "Katy wrote: "I agree- there are holes in the whole "Jonathan" theory. But I guess we arent supposed to think about it :P"

Well actually in that later books it explains everything. Team Jace! As f..."

I'm still getting through City of Glass now. What I want to know is whether or not Valentine knew the truth about Jace. (Ps- how do you hide spoilers lol?)

message 29: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela What do you mean, 'did Valentine know the truth about Jace'?
AND how do hide a spolier?

message 30: by Erika, Dream Thief (last edited Apr 16, 2012 08:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Valentine did know the truth about Jace if you're reading City of Glass then I don't want to give it away because it will all be explained...
You can hide a spoiler by doing this < spoiler > words < /spoiler > but without the spaces between the < >

message 31: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy thanks erika! and I already know what happens with everything lol

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I hated this book. I couldn't get through it. It, to me, seemed very...not my 'cup of tea.' If the characters weren't so whiny, I might of liked it. Does anybody else know what I'm talking about? Its...just different. I didn't like it.

message 33: by cy (new) - rated it 4 stars

cy I don't like Clary as much, I thought Tessa was a much better Heroine

message 34: by cy (new) - rated it 4 stars

cy ♥ Lana G. Astrid ♥ wrote: "Katy wrote: "I agree- there are holes in the whole "Jonathan" theory. But I guess we arent supposed to think about it :P"

Well actually in that later books it explains everything. Team Jace! As f..."

totally agree!! ;)

message 35: by Ela (last edited Apr 19, 2012 03:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Erika wrote: "Valentine did know the truth about Jace if you're reading City of Glass then I don't want to give it away because it will all be explained...
You can hide a spoiler by doing this words but withou..."

Oh, thats how you hide a spoiler...Thank You!!!! :D

Annabelle | 6 comments The Mortal Instruments is one of the best YA series i have read n a long time. It made an impression and i adored it. Personally, i feel its better than the Harry Potter books or Twilight, but that might also be beacuse we picked those too over to pieces on fanfiction. And i'm most definitely Team Jace.

message 37: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Annabelle wrote: "The Mortal Instruments is one of the best YA series i have read n a long time. It made an impression and i adored it. Personally, i feel its better than the Harry Potter books or Twilight, but that..."

I'll agree that i prefer it ton Twilight but I don't think it's better than Harry Potter. As much as I love it Harry Potter is just in a different league to most books: particularly in terms of the impact it has made.

message 38: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah I LOVE the Mortal Instruments but it isn't better than Harry Potter. Like Ela said Harry Potter is in a different league. TMI is amazing but Harry Potter is...well Harry Potter and I feel like TMI will never be what Harry Potter is to most people. In fact a lot of people don't even know about TMI and basically everyone knows about Harry Potter.

message 39: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 4 stars

I guess but I feel like some people just won't like the books because in the beginning Clary and Jace are (view spoiler) I feel like that would make some people not like the books but in Harry Potter there really wasn't anything like that in there but I think that's what makes TMI unique. I mean the two series are really different so it's hard to compare them and if they don't do a good job on the movies then it won't be as popular as Harry Potter

message 40: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 4 stars

So hopefully they don't screw up the movie otherwise I will be very disappointed!

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) Isn't Jace Clary's brother?

message 42: by Erika, Dream Thief (last edited Jul 23, 2012 05:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

If you haven't read City of Glass don't click the spoiler! (view spoiler)

Martin Although I love the series now that I have read all the books so far, the first book just seemed too predictable and all ready done. BUT I decided to continue reading the series and discovered that I actually do enjoy it. I just think this is the worst book in the series that's all

message 44: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Funny, CoB is my favorite haha.

Martin Katy why is it your favorite?

Sabrina L-O-V-E these books! I was obsessed right after I finished City of Bones, I started City of Glass right after I was done with it. These books were so good.

Helen Tess wrote: "Did anyone else think that the twist at the end left a gaping plot hole in the book? I mean, how did Jace never see a picture of Valentine one of the most infamous shadow hunters ever? I know they ..."

Yeah, I wondered this, but Shadowhunters are pretty primitive in their use of technology, they don't watch TV or use the internet. It would have been word of mouth how they all knew about Valentine and it was more of a scaremongering technique I think.

Helen I bought CoB, CoA and CoG in one go after becoming obsessed with Twilight a few years ago and seeing TMI recommended on a Twilight fan page. I wasn't sure what to make of it at first but quickly got drawn in. I love Cassandra's writing style and ability to make you gasp and switch to a side story but bring you back to the main event in time for you to still be emotionally invested in it. Now I am a firm Cassandra Clare fan, I prefer TMI to TID and I find the characters very similar. Readinf TMI first is probably why I prefer Clary et al.
I would recommend these to anyone and find them in a different league to Twilight. In fact since I got these I haven't gone back to Twilight and I was re-reading them for a long time.
Started the series again a couple of weeks ago and am on CoLS now, 2014 can not come around quick enough!! Although I am dreading getting to the last page of CoHF as it will all be over. I'm looking forward to The Dark Artifices though.
(view spoiler)

Tiffany (ladyfalcon) | 45 comments Magnus= Hilarious
Isabelle= a wench
Jace= a typical Herondale and also hilarious

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished Cob and I loved it. Then I started Coa but I never finished it. I know im very slow on the series. But all the reviews I read said that the series is really good. So I might get back on Coa.

« previous 1 3 4 5