Gay Science Fiction discussion

Introductions > Tell us about yourself!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 304 (304 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Meghan (last edited Feb 14, 2012 10:00PM) (new)

Meghan (mm_reads) | 168 comments Mod
With all the new changes, more members have been popping in. It seems like a good time to get an Introduction folder going so we know something relevant about the people we're geeking with :-)

So start a new topic, with your name in the title and tell us about yourself. With that in mind, here are some ideas for what you might share with us:
- how long or how far back have you been reading sci-fi?
- are you a proud geek? how much of a geek are you?
- what do you look for in gay sci-fi specifically?

We'll probably add to that list based on your suggestions or ideas.

message 2: by Ravon, 500 celebration able assistant (last edited Feb 17, 2012 05:52PM) (new)

Ravon Silvius | 85 comments Mod
Hi!

I'm Ravon, and I write gay sci fi and gay fantasy. I've been reading science fiction since I was very young-I think anime was what inspired my love of science fiction, what with all the space opera and cyberpunk anime that was so prevalent in the 90's.

I'm not quite sure how much a geek I am. I play a lot of D&D, if that says anything. :P

As for what I look for in gay sci fi-I like a healthy mix of plot and sexuality, but I prefer a lot of sexual tension with the plot rather than straight up smut. I also like human enhancement stories-things like cyborgs or genetically enhanced soldiers. Someone just a little bit more than human, that a science fiction world makes possible.

Whoops-didn't realize I had to make a new topic. I can delete this and make a new topic if people would like. I just assumed all the introductions would go in one thread. :P

message 3: by Oco (last edited Feb 17, 2012 04:32PM) (new)

Oco (Ocotillo) | 107 comments Okay, so I admit it, I freaked out. Which tells you more about me than I wanted y'all to know, but I did put an 'about me' as its own thread, and then got stage fright and deleted it. So, sorry, Meghan, but now that Ravon broke the 'rule' first, I'm moving it in here. KTHNX. :) I'd said:

---

I can't believe that Meghan's making us start whole new topics. For the gal that likes to fly beneath the radar, this is HARD. But okay, in the spirit of getting along... :D

I'm a physical scientist for my day job. I mostly teach now (college level).

Um.

I guess I read my first hard SF in 3rd grade. That was "I, Robot." I didn't really understand it. Heh. But Dad, after beaming with pride in me, said, "here, let me show you how Algebra works," and then, "try reading these" (see how messed up my upbringing was?) Anyway, he handed me Ray Bradbury and A.E. Van Vogt, and some others that he thought I could handle. And I took off. I read "All Summer in a Day" (Bradbury short) in 5th grade and it haunts me to this day. Mom got me started on Andre Norton (also, Norton's fantasy). So yeah. Long time I've been reading it, from a family of SF nerds (especially Dad). I think I read Brave New World the first time in 5th grade.

Wrote my first SF story in 12th grade. Yes, it sucked. I'm getting better now though. I have a free apocalyptic scifi available on line (Esperanza). Three years after writing it, I see lots of flaws. But it is highly rated, so please give it a read if apocalyptic m/m romance (with some angst and some light kink) seems fun. I love the story, just think it could use a fair bit of polish. :) Am finishing up Book III of something that I hope is much better, and I'm very much hoping to publish (working title: "The Book of New Life").

I am dearly in love with characterization, so my stories are more akin to social scifi than tech-geek stuff. Though my science background does keep me being pretty anal about getting that stuff right, too. Mainly, I write about people. I like the 'what if' of strange social and cultural situations, and I love watching and creating complex characters. Oh. And world-building. LOVE world-building. I think those are my two greatest strengths as a writer. I leave it to you to find the all the weaknesses. :)

The book I'm currently writing (that three book thing) is about a group of religious fundamentalists who follow a prophet and emigrate to a distant planet to found a new 'promised land'. Conflict between two factions soon escalates, the planet turns out to be a more hostile environment than they'd anticipated, and the tech they'd brought with them is wearing out. In this midst, we follow the lives of two gay men -- in a society where homosexuality is punishable by death. Yeah. It's kind of 'epic'. Sue me. I like writing it.

Okay. Enough. That's who I is. :)

message 4: by Oco (new)

Oco (Ocotillo) | 107 comments And, HI! Ravon! :)

message 5: by Carvedwood (new)

Carvedwood Hi, guys. Um. I would love to support this group, but... I have nothing to add to it. Literally.

message 6: by Meghan (new)

Carvedwood wrote: "Hi, guys. Um. I would love to support this group, but... I have nothing to add to it. Literally."

Hi Carvedwood,
Welcome to the group! LOL, you can still find books to read even if you don't have any to add. What drew your interest?

message 7: by Carvedwood (new)

Carvedwood Charming sent me an invitation. I don't know what possessed me to hit "join." I don't even read much scifi. My only qualifications as a geek are a 30+ yr crush on Mr. Spock, and a die-hard belief that William Shatner is The One True Captain.

message 8: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Charming (charming_euphemism) | 787 comments Mod
Carvedwood wrote: "Charming sent me an invitation. I don't know what possessed me to hit "join." I don't even read much scifi. My only qualifications as a geek are a 30+ yr crush on Mr. Spock, and a die-hard belie..."

It was your love for The Administration that inspired me. And your good taste in first officers proves I was right.

message 9: by Mark (last edited Mar 01, 2012 02:47PM) (new)

Mark Kendrick Okay, an intro.

I'm a gay scifi author and have been in print for the past 11 years. My storylines in the scifi genre (I have two contemporary fiction stories) all have gay main characters. I've filled the stories with loads of conflict, and there are always at least two hot men that the reader is following and expecting to stay together.

I tend toward hard core scifi since I'm a science geek and demand that stories I read or shows I watch be internally consistent with plausible science. In other words, I'm not so much into fantasy or magic. On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed the Sword of Truth TV series, mostly because Craig Horner is smoking hot.

I've been a geek my entire life. I'm old enough to have watched the original Star Trek series in BW on TV, and I recall the original season of Lost in Space. I was thoroughly hooked on the genre.

Even before that, the first scifi story I read was called 'The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet'. Somehow, that story ignited my passion for this genre. So, even as an elementary school student, I discovered the classic scifi authors (Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Andre Norton's scifi stuff, and was mesmerized with the worlds and awesome characters they built.

Something was missing as I hit puberty: I discovered I'm gay and couldn't find any gay characters I could possibly relate to in any of the stories I had read.

With all that geeky scifi stuff crammed into my head, along with my natural tendency to write, I eventually ended up writing scifi novels.

You can read about them here: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Or here: www.mark-kendrick.com

Or even here: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&t...

As of last month, I shifted my focus a bit and wrote an erotic scifi m/m tale that's in ebook format only. I'm done with paper. Royalties aren't nearly as good and they don't sell as fast. Plus, you can't download sample chapters and decide if you want to read the whole thing. Oh, ebooks, how I love thee.

I used the pen name 'Scott Galister', and it's available here: http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Cluster-e...

There are more stories coming under both Mark Kendrick and Scott Galister. They've just not been written yet!

message 10: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Mark wrote: "Okay, an intro.

I'm a gay scifi author and have been in print for the past 11 years. My storylines in the scifi genre (I have two contemporary fiction stories) all have gay main characters. I've..."

Hi Mark! Welcome. I have one of your books on my Kindle waiting to be read as part of a recent time travel obsession I am going through.

Stealing Some Time: Volume 1 Stealing Some Time Volume 1 by Mark Kendrick

message 11: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann (blueopal) | 26 comments Hi, can I be a lurker here? I probably won't be able to add much, but since I've been reading Sci-fi since the early 60's and M/M from about the 00's, blending the two is (to me) incredibly exciting :)

And, yes, I've read a great deal of gay sf over the last couple of years or so :) (So glad there are peeps out there writing it!!)

message 12: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Carole-Ann wrote: "Hi, can I be a lurker here? I probably won't be able to add much, but since I've been reading Sci-fi since the early 60's and M/M from about the 00's, blending the two is (to me) incredibly excitin..."

Of course you can be a lurker. :-)

M/M and scifi is a heady mix, isn't it?

message 13: by Oco (new)

Oco (Ocotillo) | 107 comments I mostly lurk, too, with occasional spurts of sociability. :) Welcome!

message 14: by D (new)

D Hi! Thanx for the invite Charming. I'm a lurker too.

Um, I go way back, 'ol skool, drive in movie, BW TV sci-fi. Godzilla, The Fly, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, Cyclops, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Blob...you know. And before we got color TV...Flash Gordan, Lost In Space, Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Time Tunnel, Star Trek...later on in my time travels, Mystery Science Theater, Red Dwarf, Sliders, The Hitchhiker, Quantum Leap, The Six Million Dollar Man, The X Files. I don't do the zombiebox anymore.

How long or how far back have you been reading sci-fi? Most books that I've read in the past have been fantasy, horror, some sci fi.

Are you a proud geek? how much of a geek are you? Closet geek.

What do you look for in gay sci-fi specifically? Um, *cough* alien sex? <0_o> Seriously, a good plot with lots of sex.

Currently reading--- 18% Gray by Anne Tenino

There are a few sci fi books on my TBR list that I'm getting around to.

So want to read--- Gravitational Attraction by Angel Martinez --- Blind Space by Marie Sexton

message 15: by Harper (new)

Harper Kingsley (harperkingsley) | 2 comments Hi, I signed up for this group then didn't say anything (●-_-●) ::blush:: I mostly just lurk around to find new books to read.

message 16: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Hi Carole-Ann, Harper, and D. Did you find us through my message on the M/M Romance group? I thought there would be denizens of MMR who shared our love of gay science fiction!

Lurking is totally fine, and jumping in when you feel the urge is great too. If you want to add your books to our bookshelf, go here for directions:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

We are trying to help people find their favs and not flood the pure scifi types with shifters in space and the gay lit fic types with gooey romance. :-)

message 17: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hello my name is Dusty. I'm from Alberta, Canada. I don't normally read science fiction books, but I do have two on my to read list so I thought I would join the group and see what other science fiction books I can read. Um as for how nerdy I am I'm not quite sure. I like the Star Wars movies. Those were cool. I also play video games too, but that's as nerdy as I get haha.

message 18: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Dustin wrote: "Hello my name is Dusty. I'm from Alberta, Canada. I don't normally read science fiction books, but I do have two on my to read list so I thought I would join the group and see what other science fiction books I can read."

What kind of books do you like? Maybe we can recommend scifi books that will appeal to you.

message 19: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann (blueopal) | 26 comments Charming wrote: "Hi Carole-Ann, Harper, and D. Did you find us through my message on the M/M Romance group? I thought there would be denizens of MMR who shared our love of gay science fiction!

Lurking is totally..."

Yup - I'm on the M/M group (and a couple of other naughty ones) where sci-fi gets little or no mention :) so this group is a great "diversion" (???) :)

message 20: by David (new)

David Dawson | 11 comments Hello. I'm David L Dawson, and I write young adult scifi/fantasy. The Fall is my first novel with where the main character is gay, and I'm working on a children's book for eight year olds plus about missing cats where the main character is raised by two gay dads (I'm expecting some ruckus over that but I don't care). This group has given me some good ideas over what to read next.

message 21: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

David wrote: "Hello. I'm David L Dawson, and I write young adult scifi/fantasy. The Fall is my first novel with where the main character is gay, and I'm working on a children's book for eight year olds plus ab..."

Hi David! Welcome. I went to the bookshelf to make sure your book was on it, and not only had you added it, but put it on the right shelves. My librarian side is most pleased with you!

But you forgot to tell us how long ago you started reading scifi and how much of a geek you are?

message 22: by David (last edited Mar 21, 2012 11:33AM) (new)

David Dawson | 11 comments I think I'm probably a major geek. I'm a Trekkie and when I swear I say "frak" instead of the other one (not sure if I can swear on the boards). I've been reading scifi ever since I can remember to be honest, at first books about Star Trek and Star Wars and then,as I got older, more Star Trek and Arthur C Clarke, Douglas Adams. Douglas Adams is probably my favourite, plus he also wrote my most beloved Doctor Who story ever, The city of Death. I'm not sure whether I actively look for scifi, or any book, that has gay characters in it. I just read whatever looks good and then complain about it afterwards because there's no gays in it. I don't tend to read erotic ficttion either, but if a book has a relationship in it it has to be believable. In my book, The Fall, it has some unrequited love in it which is based on my own experiences, so I hope it comes across as real and believable to other people. Anyway, Live long and prosper!

message 23: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann (blueopal) | 26 comments @ David - welcome, and wow, I hope your book does well - sounds great!

And you can't be more of a Trekkie than I am :) (fan since the 60's showing in the UK!)

message 24: by David (new)

David Dawson | 11 comments Thanks, Carole-Ann!

message 25: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

David wrote: "Anyway, Live long and prosper!"

message 26: by Meghan (new)

Hi David, welcome to the group! I just recently enjoyed reading The Fall am waiting for the next! :)

message 27: by David (new)

David Dawson | 11 comments Thanks, Meghan! You gave me first ever rating for the book, and a 5 star one at that! You'll be the first to know when I'm releasing the sequel.

message 28: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

David wrote: "Thanks, Meghan! You gave me first ever rating for the book, and a 5 star one at that! You'll be the first to know when I'm releasing the sequel."

Maybe you would like to be our author of the month when that happens.

message 29: by David (new)

David Dawson | 11 comments Thanks so much, Charming. It would literally be an honour! As for the release date I've decided on August 1st, 2012. I needed to give myself a deadline and I have now, so you have my permission to shout at me if I don't live up to it.

message 30: by David (new)

David Dawson | 11 comments Didn't know where else to put it so I thought I'd stick it in here; the sequel to the Fall is now called The Sky Is Falling. Make of that what you will...

message 31: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Violet (silviaviolet) | 1 comments Hi everyone! I've been reading sci fi for about 20 years ever since I reluctantly agreed to read a few books my husband suggested and then got hooked. He's also responsible for pulling me into lots of sci fi shows too. My first ever publication was an m/m/f sci fi but I just had my first m/m sci fi release on March 24, Abandoned One of the things I love most about writing sci fi is getting to build my own world and create all the little details that add to the atmosphere.

message 32: by Bonmedo (last edited Apr 02, 2012 08:12AM) (new)

Bonmedo Tambunan | 1 comments Hello everyone. My name is Bonmedo Tambunan, or as my friends usually call me, Boni. Fantasy and Science Fiction are my favourite genre, which I have been reading since I was little. I also write fantasy novels which have been published in my country, Indonesia, in Indonesian language. Hoping someday would find someone to translate them in english for me :)Empat Tubuh Statera, Prahara, Xar & Vichattan : Takhta Cahaya. I am also a big fan of Gay Fantasy and Science Fiction. The thing is they are really hard to come by in Indonesia. So I am so glad that I found this group :)

message 33: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Silvia wrote: "Hi everyone! I've been reading sci fi for about 20 years ever since I reluctantly agreed to read a few books my husband suggested and then got hooked. He's also responsible for pulling me into lots..."

Welcome Sylvia! I added your book to our bookshelf, but please go and add it to the correct bookshelves. Your husband sounds like a peach. :-)

message 34: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Bonmedo wrote: "Hello everyone. My name is Bonmedo Tambunan, or as my friends usually call me, Boni. Fantasy and Science Fiction are my favourite genre, which I have been reading since I was little. I also write f..."

Hi Boni. Welcome! We're glad you found us too. It is so cool we have members all over the world.

message 35: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann (blueopal) | 26 comments Silvia wrote: "Hi everyone! I've been reading sci fi for about 20 years ever since I reluctantly agreed to read a few books my husband suggested and then got hooked. He's also responsible for pulling me into lots..."

Oh, wow......sorry, *bows - head to the ground*
I've read a number of your books, and totally loved them!!! (sorry for the grovel :) )

message 36: by Meghan (new)

Welcome Boni & Silvia!

message 37: by Erica (last edited Apr 07, 2012 05:51AM) (new)

Erica Pike (ericapike) | 16 comments Hi guys! I'm an author of contemporary gay erotic romance - not sci-fi (yet!). I do love reading gay sci-fi and have been a proud sci-fi nerd for ages and ages. Most of my sci-fi is through TV though (Stargate Atlantis, Star Trek, Fire Fly etc.), but I love books like Gravitational Attraction, 18% Gray and Spice 'n' Solace, so here I am, as a reader ;)

message 38: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Erica wrote: "Hi guys! I'm an author of contemporary gay erotic romance - not sci-fi (yet!). I do love reading gay sci-fi and have been a proud sci-fi nerd for ages and ages. Most of my sci-fi is through TV thou..."

Hi Erica, and welcome. We loooove Stargate (1 and A) at our house.

message 39: by Becky (last edited Apr 09, 2012 08:41AM) (new)

Becky Black (beckyblack) Hi, folks

I'm Becky Black, author and reader of sci-fi and a longtime lover or sci-fi. When I decided to take a crack at writing a m/m romance for publication, it just had to be science fiction! I've got three books out now and I'm working hard on more.

I've been reading and watching science fiction since I was a kid. I think my love for it was sparked by being taken to see 2001: A Space Odyssey at the cinema when very young. (No, not actualy in the year it was released, I'm not that old. I was far too young to understand the movie - I'm not sure I really understand it now. But something about it, the future it portrayed, the wonder of it all spoke to me.

I love science fiction books too of course. One of my favourite things I own is a paperback of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I bought in 1979. So I am fairly old. ;-)

I've been a Trekkie for as long as can remember, and, being a Brit, a lover of the great British sci-fi, like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on radio and TV and book form, Dr. Who, Blakes 7, right up to the modern stuff like Torchwood and Life on Mars.

I'm a proud geek, and while I wouldn't call myself a massive geek, I'm a pretty devoted one. There are downsides to that. I've still never been able to forgive George Lucas for The Phantom Menace...

What do I look for in gay science fiction? A feeling that while we humans may have gone out into space and are having adventures we never imagined before, we're still people who have to figure out this whole tricky "relationships" thing, as we always have. And I want to see people facing new challenges and rising to them, opening their minds to new solutions to their problem.

I'm reading the group's book of the month Gravitational Attraction right now and really enjoying it. Half way through as of today, so I look forward to chatting about it once I've finished.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, everyone. :) I'm Zach Sweets. I'm a big lurker and realized I've never posted an introduction of myself on here. So here I am. :D I'm a brand new deaf author. :)

I'm not that geek yet and hopefully I'll be in future. I LOVE watching sci-fi films. My very first one was Alien and I was probably only 7 or 8 years old that time. Ever since, I fell in love with Sci-Fi and Horror.

As for the books, I didn't read enough sci-fi lately :( Growing up, I wasn't a big reader but as I get older and books are becoming more entertaining than films. I eventually wanted to write sci-fi books.

So, my new book is coming out next week and it is called Zombie Rain.

I also have a short v-day story called Rusty's Surprise. I'm working on a sci-fi sequel to Rusty's Surprise and the working title will be Unheard Destruction.

From this group, I intend to find more M/M Sci-fi books to read and learn what the readers love the most, so I hopefully can write awesome sci-fi books for y'all. :D

message 41: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Hi Becky and Zach. It is extra fun to have authors here. Please feel free to keep us updated on any scifi stories in the authors folder.

message 42: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Becky wrote: "I'm reading the group's book of the month Gravitational Attraction right now and really enjoying it. Half way through as of today, so I look forward to chatting about it once I've finished. "

It's really good - and exactly what you say above, "A feeling that while we humans may have gone out into space and are having adventures we never imagined before, we're still people who have to figure out this whole tricky "relationships" thing, as we always have."

message 43: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Zach wrote: "So, my new book is coming out next week and it is called Zombie Rain."

Sounds like it might fit on our paranormal scifi shelf.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope I did put Zombie Rain in the right group book shelf :)

message 45: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 88 comments Becky wrote: "Hi, folks

I'm Becky Black, author and reader of sci-fi and a longtime lover or sci-fi. When I decided to take a crack at writing a m/m romance for publication, it just had to be science fiction! I..."

Hi Beckie and welcome. Are the 3 books on your author page all SF?

I am a lover of British cinema and TV and have been collecting VHS and then DVDs of TV series and movies of course. We're doing another go-thru of the original Doctor Who and are up to Tom Baker's Hand of Fear. Blake's 7 is a favorite, but still only available in PAL and region 2. My home made VHS tapes have worn out, so I decided to get the PAL DVDs and a region-free player just so we can see Blake's 7 again. I guess I am a bit geeky. We've also got The Tomorrow People, UFO, The Tripods, Red Dwarf, Lexx and all of the Quatermass TV serials...

I like the older Brit TV more than the current. The latter seem too noisy, fast and use so many different and thick accents that I have to put on English subtitles. I am always looking for BBC series I may have missed, esp SFF, great drama and Britcoms.

message 46: by Becky (new)

Becky Black (beckyblack) Sorry, slow reply! Yep, the three are all sci-fi.

I think British sci-fi does best when it doesn't try to complete with the big-budget American stuff, and sticks to being a bit quirky.

Chuckling about you using the subtitles. I've just been doing that with The Wire. Those Baltimore accents are a nightmare! :D

message 47: by Nan (new)

Nan Hawthorne (nanhawthorne) | 2 comments My introduction is an invitation:

Come help us list our favorite authors of GLBT fiction on the new GLBT Bookshelf group on Goodreads!

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

Nan Hawthorne
Editor of the Our Story GLBTQ Historical Fiction section on GLBT Bookshelf

message 48: by Paws (new)

Paws Hi eveyone! I'm Paws. Just found you, and I'm excited to add to my TBR mountain with more Sci-Fi. I'm a low level geek in many different disciplines. I've seen all the Star Wars movies, first run, in the theater. (I'm old) I watch a lot more Sci-Fi movies than I've read. I also love things like Serenity/Firefly & BSG. I beat an über geek friend in a game of Talisman. I read all sorts of romance/erotica and love to throw in a M/M Sci-Fi. Been reading forever, but M/M for a year plus.
Anything else? Um..... no?

message 49: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Paws wrote: "Hi eveyone! I'm Paws. Just found you, and I'm excited to add to my TBR mountain with more Sci-Fi. I'm a low level geek in many different disciplines. I've seen all the Star Wars movies, first run, ..."

Hi Paws, and welcome! You sound like just our type. Please visit our bookshelf for reading ideas, and share yours.

message 50: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 88 comments Ravon wrote: "...As for what I look for in gay sci fi-I like a healthy mix of plot and sexuality, but I prefer a lot of sexual tension with the plot rather than straight up smut...."

IOWs, lots of seduction and foreplay.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7