Addicted to YA discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books of the Month > Book of the Month?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 160 (160 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (last edited Jul 14, 2017 08:57AM) (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5143 comments Mod
Each month we vote on which books we want to read for the next month but to vote we need recommendations for what we should read. Every month there are four different suggestion categories (unless there's something special going on). Suggestions placed in this topic will not be in the BOTM poll.

General Rules
-books must be Young Adult (Middle Grade, New Adult, and Adult books do not count)
-every member can suggest up to one book per category
-authors can't suggest their own books & suggestions from accounts created by the author for the purpose of suggesting their book will not have the suggestion counted
-books can't be read more than once (to see what we've read go here)
-You don't have to read the books the group is reading

Categories & rules for each category are listed below.

Series Category
-books suggested must be part of a series
-books can't be read out of order

Stand Alone Category
-books suggested can't be part of a series
-companion books count as part of a series

Theme Category
-books must be related to the chosen theme
-can be part of a series or a stand alone

Series in Progress Category
-books are not suggested for this category
-books from here will be put in the poll

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stein (girlmogul) | 2 comments I just got an ARC of Grave Mercy, the first book in His Fair Assassin trilogy by Robin LeFevers. Group might like that - it's set in medieval Bretton and deals with teenage female assassins, court plotting, and knights...

message 3: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Sounds really interesting do you know when it comes out?

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stein (girlmogul) | 2 comments April 2012 - It kept me on the bike at the gym an extra 20 minutes so I thought it was pretty good.

message 5: by Giochima (new)

Giochima | 10 comments oh, i love it! i always wanted to discuss books with someone else, but apparently im the only soul that reads around here, whats this month book? i want to catch up!

message 6: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

The current BOM are White Cat, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and Shiver. Soon the suggestions for May books will be up in this folder called May 2012. I'm just not sure if there should be theme for it or not. But as soon as that's decided the topic will be available for suggestions

message 7: by Annabel ♥ (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments I thinkk that the books of the month should be,

North of Beautiful
Matched
Divergent
The Hunger Games

and a lot more!!

message 8: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (bookishpeach) | 6 comments This might have already been suggested... but isn't Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (sequel to Graceling) releasing in May? If so, then I would love to read that.

message 9: by Annabel ♥ (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments Sierra wrote: "This might have already been suggested... but isn't Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (sequel to Graceling) releasing in May? If so, then I would love to read that."

Yes! I can't wait to read it!

message 10: by Artemisia (new)

Artemisia Sage (bookworm56) | 78 comments I have to say we should read city of bones by cassandra clare

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna | 300 comments The Knife of Never Letting Go is the first in the Chaos Walking series and is awesome.

message 12: by Cat (new)

Cat Kalen (CatKalen) | 5 comments This looks good! Anna wrote: "The Knife of Never Letting Go is the first in the Chaos Walking series and is awesome."

message 13: by Anna (last edited Mar 15, 2012 06:40AM) (new)

Anna | 300 comments Cat wrote: "This looks good! Anna wrote: "The Knife of Never Letting Go is the first in the Chaos Walking series and is awesome.""

It won lots of awards in UK. I run a book group and every teenager I know who has read it loves it. - The Cassandra Clare books are great too but lots of people are reading them already. I've not seen many posts about this series. I'm guessing its not well known in the US yet?

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna | 300 comments Giochima wrote: "oh, i love it! i always wanted to discuss books with someone else, but apparently im the only soul that reads around here, whats this month book? i want to catch up!"

Hey! Hope you're enjoying Cassandra Clare. You should move Knife of Never Letting Go to No1 on your to read bookshelf. You'll not regret it!

message 15: by Ela (last edited Mar 15, 2012 09:31AM) (new)

Ela Knife of Never letting go is AMAZING!!!
Chaos Walking is one of my favorite series, they are so good!
People should DEFINATELY read them.
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 7 comments The Fallen Series by Lauren Kate
The Terrier Series by Tamora Pierce
The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa

These are all great series. The final book in the Fallen series comes out in June.

message 17: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 10 comments Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver was good. It's not part of a series so it would be a good BOM.

message 18: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

If you want to suggest books put the suggestions in the (month) 2012 topic because they will not be counted if they are here.

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma Mecham (emmagmecham) well since I looked thru the already read books, I say the kissed by an angel series. VERY good! I need to read evercrossed or everlast or something like that.

message 20: by Webiny (new)

Webiny I've been wanting to read "The Knife of Never Letting Go" myself so this would be a good opportunity for me to read it along with you guys. And also I wanna suggest "I Am the Messenger"; it will be good if you looking for something with a little more depth. :)

message 21: by Jack (new)

Jack | 113 comments I hated "The Knife of Never Letting Go". It just didn't pull me in, and I hated the way it was written.

message 22: by Shae (new)

Shae McDaniel (shaelit) Oh, I totally second The Terrier Series. Or if three books is too much for a BOM, what about The Trickster Series? Same author, just as good, but only two books.

message 23: by cy (new)

cy Anna wrote: "The Knife of Never Letting Go is the first in the Chaos Walking series and is awesome."

Sierra wrote: "This might have already been suggested... but isn't Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (sequel to Graceling) releasing in May? If so, then I would love to read that."

Bitterblue and Knife of letting go!

Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments I agree. The knife of never letting go sounds good.
Jack, what didn't you like about it?

message 25: by Jack (new)

Jack | 113 comments Perfection wrote: "I agree. The knife of never letting go sounds good.
Jack, what didn't you like about it?"

Well, I absolutely hated the main character in general, as well as just about all of the others. The book's plot had so much potential, but it was wasted by the, in my opinion, mediocre writing.

Unfortunately, it seems just about everyone else disagrees with me.

Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Lol... It happens... Hey weren't we gonna start a movement to make people read Amulet of Samarkand?

message 27: by Jack (new)

Jack | 113 comments Perfection wrote: "Lol... It happens... Hey weren't we gonna start a movement to make people read Amulet of Samarkand?"
Hell yeah.

message 28: by Jon (new)

Jon (scottreadsit) I need to read the Knife of Never Letting Go!

message 29: by Meggy (new)

Meggy (megchits) | 3 comments The Boy Who Sneaks in my Bedroom Window - kirsty moseley

message 30: by Grace (new)

Grace The Scorpio Races- Maggie Stiefvater
I know it didn't come out this month but I only read it now

message 31: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Grace wrote: "The Scorpio Races- Maggie Stiefvater
I know it didn't come out this month but I only read it now"

We've read The Scorpio Races and the book doesn't have to come out during that month to be a book of the month.
Here's the topic if you want to talk about it: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

If you want suggest a different book then you could suggest something here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 32: by Nerfy (new)

Nerfy (robynleanne) By far my favourite book of the month has been Rhiannon Paille's SURRENDER. The world she creates and the language she uses is amazing. It's such a unique take on the typical 'magical powers', completely original!

She's got it listed on Amazon for free for the next couple of days so I'd definitely recommend picking it up now!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SURRENDER-The...

message 33: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Gallant (tiffnkailey) I'm confused about the BOM challenge. Can someone please explain it to me. Where is the list of books we need to read? Or is it any ya books? thanks.

message 34: by Erika, Dream Thief (last edited Jan 19, 2013 07:23AM) (new)

Tiffany wrote: "I'm confused about the BOM challenge. Can someone please explain it to me. Where is the list of books we need to read? Or is it any ya books? thanks."

The BOTM challenge is for the books we read as a group this year. So far we've read Easy by Tammara Webber, Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, Paper Towns by John Green, and Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan so if you've read any of those books you would go to the book and put it on the shelf you created for the challenge. It doesn't matter if you read it in 2013 or in 2011 you can still mark them on the challenge.

So when the books for the next months get chosen you do the same thing. There is a list of books here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...
Just ignore the other books until you get down to the bottom were it should have 2013 in bold and then January beneath it. Any books listed after that count for the challenge.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.

message 35: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Gallant (tiffnkailey) Ok, no it wasn't confusing, but I did have questions. I am coming into this new, so I feel a little behind. Alot of the books of the month I haven't read, and it looks like the ones for next month you will be reading the 2nd books? I haven't read those either. So what should I do if I haven't read any of them yet?

message 36: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Gallant (tiffnkailey) Also I have a question, about this series. Does it matter which series you read first? Infernal Devices (Book 1) Mortal Instruments (Book 1)? I rent alot of my books from the library, and I got the infernal Devices book, but the mortal instruments (city of bones) has a long waiting list. I saw that Infernal Devices is a prequel, so does it make a difference to read it before the other series? Thanks for all your help. :)

message 37: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Tiffany wrote: "Ok, no it wasn't confusing, but I did have questions. I am coming into this new, so I feel a little behind. Alot of the books of the month I haven't read, and it looks like the ones for next month ..."

You don't have to read all of the BOTM. It would be a good idea to read at least one but you definitely don't have to read all of them. For next month we are also reading two other books so you don't have to read the other two books if you haven't read the 1st books yet.

message 38: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Tiffany wrote: "Also I have a question, about this series. Does it matter which series you read first? Infernal Devices (Book 1) Mortal Instruments (Book 1)? I rent alot of my books from the library, and I got the..."

You can read either one first. You don't need to know what happens in TMI to read TID (or the other way around). There are connections between the characters in TID and TMI but it won't add or take away from the story.

message 39: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Gallant (tiffnkailey) ok cool thanks.

message 40: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livvie_simone) There is a book that was published just last month titled "The Darkest Minds" and it will blow your mind. I think it would be cool for everyone to read this since it is a new book and we could discuss it as some of the first people to read it. I can't express how good it was and it was paced really well.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Crewel by Gennifer Albin

PLEASE!! IT'S BRILLIANT!!

message 42: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa G (alyssag022) What about:
Freshman Year and other Unnatural Disasters- Meredith Zeitlin
The Diviners- Libba Bray
Scorpio Races- Maggie Stiefvater

message 43: by Tristan (new)

Tristan (tris_priolo) | 6 comments The Diviners by Libba Bray is a great read! I couldn't put it down (especially when I was thinking "can't put it down now, must read until I'm at a stage that I won't be scared turning the lights out!") a new favourite, and my favourite from Libba Bray

message 44: by Charming (new)

Charming Chí | 1 comments Just read the Hunger Games trilogies.... I don't know I should read Divergent... I don't really like the love base in Divergent much... And I have a whole Les Misérables to read xD

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it should be darkness becomes her by: kelly keaton.

message 46: by Teira (last edited Jul 04, 2013 08:15PM) (new)

Teira | 6 comments Maybe we could read
Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking Switched by Amanda Hocking

message 47: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccacohen130) | 4 comments Nightshade trilogy by Andrea cremer was amazing . All 3 of the books were awesome and is so addicting to read

message 48: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (alsg) I vote for The Mortal Instrument Series City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass; City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

message 49: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (smcsteele) | 1 comments A new book, just out this week. I highly recommend it... Out of Nowhere by Rebecca Phillips. Out of Nowhere by Rebecca Phillips

message 50: by Devin (last edited Aug 14, 2013 04:49PM) (new)

Devin | 4 comments Has anyone checked out House of Blades by Will Wight? It was a quick, fun read. I bring it up just because his sequel is supposed to release this month too.
House of Blades by Will Wight

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.