South Shore Readers discussion

Favorite places to get books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 965 comments Mod
What is your favorite place to get books?

Whether it is online...a used bookstore, a library, a big chain store, an independent store, or perhaps some non-book store that sells books.

I am always looking for new places in the area to seek out books.

I haven't yet checked out the Weymouth library. Has anyone ever been?

(NOTE: I already have way too many books on my to-read shelf at home... so this topic could be very dangerous for me)

message 2: by Sharon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Sharon The bulk of my "coffee table" books came from my friend the book buyer of the MFA, when I used to work there years ago. Now I just purchase them at BJ's, Borders, Barnes & Nobles, Target, Amazon.com...I don't borrow at libraries. I like to own my books if possible which is bad b/c I have way too many!!!

message 3: by Brooke (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Brooke | 1 comments My favorite place to get books is Barnes and Noble, Borders, walmart, and Mejier. I like to buy books to keep which leaves me with a lot of books.

message 4: by ★Lalita ❤︎ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

★Lalita ❤︎ (lalita) | 19 comments I like Walmart, BJ's, Barnes and Nobles and occassionally the local thrift book store(gotta hit it at the right times!). There used to be some awesome used book stores close by but they seem to be gone. Libraries are great but I like taking my time and I usually like to keep some of mine that I truly enjoyed and would want to read again:)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I joined a monthly book club - Literary Guild - where I buy most of my books. Their hard covers are smaller, lighter and far less expensive than other stores. I also order through Amazon.

I too enjoy owning my own books, but definitely have far too many of them.

message 6: by Dina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Dina | 21 comments I mostly get them at Borders or Amazon. I tried the Literary Guild, but missed the feeling of getting lost and absorbed in the book store. I agree it was cheaper and the books are a weird size and lighter which was nice.

message 7: by Julianne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Julianne | 7 comments I am always amazed when people enter my home and collectively gasp when they see the wall of books in our office. It seems as if my secret of collecting books is considered odd! I love books, inside and out.....so I buy, buy, buy (amazon, overstock, BJ's, the used book area in the library, wal-mart, target and Borders).

message 8: by Joanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Joanie | 461 comments Mod
I tend to shop at the same places too. The Weymouth library is good, not huge but it's close to me so I go there a lot. Once you get a card you can get stuff from the other libraries in the OCLN network so you'll have more options.