Literazzi discussion

Cutting for Stone
This topic is about Cutting for Stone
Group Book Discussions > Cutting for Stone

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (last edited Feb 14, 2012 11:04AM) (new)

Chris (cshumphreys) | 49 comments Mod
Abraham Verghese has a nice web site with more information: http://www.abrahamverghese.com

Christine | 313 comments Mod
So far I'm finding it very readable and compelling. And it's going fast, which is a relief (because it's so long). I didn't expect so much background before the twins are even born. Anybody finish it yet?

message 3: by Chris (new)

I've been avoiding this one because (don't laugh) I hate reading about medical things and surgery. Has there been much of that? Are the descriptions very graphic? Most of my reading "for fun" takes place during the night when I can't sleep, so this is an important consideration.

I'm only about 1/3 of the way through it. There hasn't been too much of that so far. But this book does have a reputation for being pretty graphic in that area.

Gosh, what an amazing book this is! I'll NEVER forget it. It's in my top 5 favorite books. And the descriptions of surgeries didn't bother me a bit. I wouldn't let that keep me from reading it for a minute. It's too good to miss.

message 6: by Chris (new)

I thought so--everyone seems to love it. However, I will save it for another time. We are moving in less than three weeks and the only time I have to read is in the middle of the night when I'm trying to fall back asleep.

Less than 3 weeks. I'm overwhelmed just thinking about it. I don't know how you do it. Good luck on your packing up and everything,
Chris!

This was a very popular book at our discussion today. Fourteen people graded it and the average was 4.5 on a 5 point scale. Having the discussion led by an identical twin was really cool too!

message 9: by Chris (new)

That's terrific. I'm looking forward to this book.